Llandegla

johnnyboy29
johnnyboy29 Posts: 100
edited June 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Well its now time for me to have a go on a proper trail. :shock:
I've been on some of the small routes local to me and this wknd i'm going for the real deal.
Can't wait, just been tinkering with me bike and packing me ruck sac so i'm ready for action!!!

Wish me luck

John :D
In the words of the GLC - Suicide is messy but it's money for free!!!

Comments

• -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Get there early chap. Likely to be very busy tomorrow.
  • Yeah get there early, sit in the fantastic cafe eating bacon sarnies and drinking tea before the ride........i don't know which bit i like the best, the cafe or the trial :shock:
  • johnnyboy29
    We are peeps leaving ours at 7am, that bite me 1st day off and i'm still gettin up eary.
    But its all for a good cause like!!
    Mmmm Bacon batches sounds like my kind of place heh heh.
    Thanks for the advice :D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    hope ur pretty technically aware for a reasonable newbie lol

some gnarly bits there
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Don't forget to tell us how it goes, -

If you survive the deadly Drop Shore :lol:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • -liam-
    Whytepeak wrote:
    Don't forget to tell us how it goes, -

If you survive the deadly Drop Shore :lol:

lol. Thats a killer :lol:
  • johnnyboy29
    :shock: "deadly drop shore".... PARRRP :shock:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    yer its about 10feet up and pretty much drops to flat. then theres the bumpy shore bit which is a bitch. then the section with a million tabletops u have to jump, then the last section is a really arm breaker ........ good luck fella
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    lawman wrote:
    yer its about 10feet up and pretty much drops to flat. then theres the bumpy shore bit which is a *****. then the section with a million tabletops u have to jump, then the last section is a really arm breaker ........ good luck fella
    er, yeah, ignore him!

Drop shore is about 8 inches (no, seriously, stop and look back next time. REALLY! so many people don't realise how small it is!) unless you're tear-arsing it, and launch off the top, in which case it's about 3 foot max.
    Bumpy shore bit is fine, not that high, but is arguably the most technically challenging piece of trail there, even though it's on the red not black route.
    The jump bit is fun, and there's always newcomers there just rolling them, because, hey, that's fun too! - Don;t get caught unawares on the big one though. The left side is higher, and is a double, hit it at too low a speed and you might come a cropper - so stick to it's right hand side instead, which is a tabletop.

I have to say though, last time I was there, they had all-new sections pretty much ready to go, looked lovely, kind of like an Alton Towers roller-coaster for bikes!
    I'd love to see how they've come along.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    its a great place for a newbe.

Everything is possible (can do the whole thing on a rigid singlespeed).

The cafe is fantastic!
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Let me know how you got on johnnyboy29 ,

I'm going there in a couple of weeks with a group of more experienced lads from work.
    Crapping myself already lol.
    Only thing I'm really worried about is the raised nothshore/boardwalk stuff. Have no experience of that type of thing. Have heard it gets very slippy etc. Don't fancy making a dick of myself, or breaking an arm lol.

Hope you had a good time!
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • -liam-
    matthew h wrote:

The cafe is fantastic!

I don't believe you can do the whole thing on a singlespeed.

I just don't think you could choose a gear to complete some of the steep climbs such as that steep rocky number that would also make you effective on any other section ;)
  • -liam-
    Si78 wrote:

I'm going there in a couple of weeks with a group of more experienced lads from work.
    Only thing I'm really worried about is the raised nothshore/boardwalk stuff. Have no experience of that type of thing. Have heard it gets very slippy etc. Don't fancy making a dick of myself, or breaking an arm lol.

Its all easy enough chap.
  • Si78
    -Liam- wrote:
    Si78 wrote:

Its all easy enough chap.

Cool, cheers Liam. :D
    I need a few more responses like that to rid me of my nerves I reckon lol

I'm sure I will love it... Just fear of the un-known I reckon.
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    Si78: I wouldn't worry too much about the North Shore, it's very wide for the most part, and you'd have to do something drastically wrong to fall off it.

As for SS'ing Llandegla, i've not been for at least 18 months, but from what i remember it is very do-able. I run 32:18 on mine, which i reckon would be about right with a bit of 'grizzing' on the short, steep bits. With SS'ing you get used to a very low cadence on steep climbs, and use your whole body weight to almost throw the bike forward (Well i do anyway :? ).

It is a great place for a noob. Don't get too complacent though, it's so easy to overcook it on some of those jumps. One of my friends creamed in on the last part of the trail about 50m from the wash point a few weeks ago. Broken collar bone, pins in his arm.... :shock: .

Anyway, enjoy (The girls in the cafe as well as the trail :wink: )
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Si78 wrote:

Llandegla's lovely, and pretty easy - I can do all of the red no problem, with the exception of the second boardwalk (the bobbly log one). I've only been there twice, but I've never actually seen anyone ride the entire thing successfully - people either get off and push their bikes along it, or stumble and put their feet down at some point! :lol: First boardwalk is fairly easy though.
  • Si78
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    Llandegla's lovely, and pretty easy - I can do all of the red no problem, with the exception of the second boardwalk (the bobbly log one). I've only been there twice, but I've never actually seen anyone ride the entire thing successfully - people either get off and push their bikes along it, or stumble and put their feet down at some point! :lol: First boardwalk is fairly easy though.

I'm an SPD convert, so I'm fearing the boardwalk lol. Can see me lying in a crumpled heap still attached to the bike lol.
  • Anonymous
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    Si78 wrote:

You need to get there more often. I've been there dozens of times and only failed that bit once. Someone stalled in front of me on the uphil part of it so we had to struggle to regain momentum.
    The trick is to not put it in too low a gear, but also don't stomp the pedals. Use the power in your legs to rotate the cranks smoothly in a middle-ish gear - it's like riding upstairs.

Anyway, I love the feeling of the next section of trail after that. Once you're through the crazy buzzing of the lumpy boardwalk, the following trail feels buttery smooth, almost as if you've got a puncture :lol:
  • Anonymous
    i really enjoy llandegla, as mentioned above, its not really that hard, even for a rubbish rider like me. an absolute definate must try for all riders especially those venturing into more challenging stuff.

the hardest part is the log board walk but th way i conquerred it was to think about the trail as i was riding along:

lots of the rest of the trail is actually as narrow if not more narrow than the logs so there is no reason why you wont be able to ride along it. just be brave, carry some momentum onto and along it and look forwards where you want to go, not where you dont want to go.

tis all proper basic technique but as it is slightly elevated, you will tend to have a mental attack about it which is un-neecessary.

where is the jumpy bit?

ps. my fave bit is the last few sweepy bends right before the wash down,
  • Anonymous
    sheepsteeth, the jumpy bit is the black section, "JJ's jumps".
    On the red route, you go under a bridge, then climb up through some trees, well, the black section crosses the top of that bridge then drops down into the jumps section.
    You can just ride the red bit, then join the bridge instead of going up through the trees, and do the jumps, the trail then drops you back on the red just before where the bridge is.

If you like the swoopy bends at the end, then you must love the black descents, they're some of the smoothest, fastest, well-bermed trails I've ever ridden :D
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    I'll be up there in the morning 8)

The 'big' drop off everyone is talking about is on the black route, the north shore nearon the red is a bit dodgy, but easy enough if you hit it with a bit of confidence, lots of new sections being built currently, a couple of short ones already open and they're real nice.

Si78, don't worry at all, it's all pretty tame really, I found the climbs the hardest once I first started, but thats coz I wasn't at all fit, it's all good now though. Come up with us if you want a head start on your work mates :wink:
  • johnnyboy29
    Now then peeps how are we all?

I went this morning and it was fantastic :D:D:D:D
    I have come to realise (rather quickly that i had little or no fitness huff puff huff puff :oops: )
    Si78 don't worry about the north shore stuff its not as bad as you think but the up hill stuff creased me but i'm over weight on a bike that weighs the same as a mini.
    But the only one thats an arse its the last board walk one the red run which is a bit rough and i bailed a couple of times.
    Be careful on the last bit theres a bridge and if you hit that at speed and your not condifent enough your take of and end in a heap :shock:
    I did some of the black run too talk about flight or fright he he
    All i can say is that i can't to go again Woop woop
    If any one was there this morning i was the one with met parachute helmet and yes it did cost more than me bike :D
    Take care peeps and thanks for reading and your words of support

John
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    johnnyboy29 - Well done :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Si78
    yeah well done johnnyboy29!

Up-hill doesnt bother me at all. Falling off boardwalks does lol.

Out of interest, how wide are the boardwalks, and how high off the ground?

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I guess I will find out in 2 weeks lol...gulp... :oops: :shock: :D
  • Si78
    GTi-R23 wrote:
    I'll be up there in the morning 8)

The 'big' drop off everyone is talking about is on the black route, the north shore nearon the red is a bit dodgy, but easy enough if you hit it with a bit of confidence, lots of new sections being built currently, a couple of short ones already open and they're real nice.

Si78, don't worry at all, it's all pretty tame really, I found the climbs the hardest once I first started, but thats coz I wasn't at all fit, it's all good now though. Come up with us if you want a head start on your work mates :wink:

Cheers buddy :D
    I'm on nights for the next fortnight, and the ride is scheduled for the first day off after nights...Don't think I will have time to squeeze any practice in...parp :oops: lol

Maybe I can join join yous at another time (if I survive lol). Atleast I will have had some practice then.

Don't really mind making a d!ck of myself in front of work mates...
    Wouldn't want to make a d!ck of myself in front of pals off this forum tho lol
  • Anonymous
    Si78 wrote:

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I guess I will find out in 2 weeks lol...gulp... :oops: :shock: :D
    Boardwalks are about 1m wide, and generally are about 2 foot off the ground, although one of them on the black section crosses a dip, so probably goes as high as 6 foot at it's highest.
  • Si78
    Si78 wrote:

Boardwalks are about 1m wide, and generally are about 2 foot off the ground, although one of them on the black section crosses a dip, so probably goes as high as 6 foot at it's highest.

Cheers yeehaamcgee :D

My vertigo is really bad, but not that bad!

Had visions of having to ride on really narrow boards, really high up lol
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    -Liam- wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

The cafe is fantastic!

I don't believe you can do the whole thing on a singlespeed.

I just don't think you could choose a gear to complete some of the steep climbs such as that steep rocky number that would also make you effective on any other section ;)

possible, but painfull.
  • Can't speak for the red much but I did the black yesterday, had a really good time. Fantastic, flowing trails with large berms, a few small steep sections but nothing overly technical. The worst part IMO was the braking bumps, but I guess thats to be expected. The climbs at the end of each black section are killer. I found the red sections after the black to be pretty boring but saw a few new red sections that are being built that look pretty good, think short descent into multiple super smooth tight berms winding all over the shop.

The long bumpy northshore section is fairly easy to be honest, just gotta concentrate and hope nobody bails directly in front of you!

On a side note, they've built a pump track (currently closed while it settles) and are in the process of building a dedicated jump section from the looks of things.

Go early, I got there for 9.45 and the first car parks were full already, although there was some kind of endurance 12hr race thingy on at the time.
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    I did the Black yesterday as well, I don't mind climbing, so really enjoy the black runs as the climbing and descents balance out nicely, there did seem to be lots of people stopped puffing and panting on the climbs though, dunno if it was 'national noob day' or what, but alot of new looking riders, and just busy in general. Still good though.

Si78 - Don't worry fella, don't need to care about making a fool of yourself in front of us, the best part of riding in a group is the banter anyway, no one takes themselves less seriously than us!