Anti spyware apps

montevideoguy
montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
edited June 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Hey people,
Not been up on this for a while but what good free anti spyware programs are out these days? Need to install something for a friend (nothing torrent related :wink: )

Any suggestions?
Formally known as Coatbridgeguy

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    recent thread if you search back but the best two free apps are SAS (superantispyware) and Spybot S&D. Use both to cover your arse.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I'll 2nd Spybot, very good & totally free
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hey people,
    Not been up on this for a while but what good free anti spyware programs are out these days? Need to install something for a friend (nothing torrent related :wink: )

Any suggestions?
    Guessing by that winking smiley, this is enitrely torrent related?

nothing will stop crap getting in if you use torrent clients, some of them are even trojans themselves.
    Spybot does a pretty good job of getting rid of things, but if you're torrenting stuff, you should look at replaceing windows with linux, or BSD. Far far fewer pieces of malware are written to take advantage of them.

Or you could, you know, just not bother.
  • montevideoguy
    montevideoguy Posts: 2,271
    Truth is I use linux when indulging.... helps keep me safe. Will download spybot.... used to use that a few years back :)

Thanks folk
    Formally known as Coatbridgeguy
  • blister pus
    SAS is the better overall application for detection and removal but the smart move would be to run both.
  • europeandy
    europeandy Posts: 118
    Ive run spybot, only problem is all the stuff it detects- I dont know what to leave and what to get rid of :?
  • blister pus
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/tutorial/index.html

^ Check out the tutorial for guidance. :)
  • Anonymous
    europeandy wrote:
    Ive run spybot, only problem is all the stuff it detects- I dont know what to leave and what to get rid of :?
    simple, get rid of EVERYTHING :roll:
  • blister pus
    But you might not want to get rid of everythng, you might want to keep some of what's been flagged up, like usage tracks, check out the tutorial.
  • Anonymous
    pretty safe to get rid of everything
  • blister pus
    Like I said that depends on what you want to keep. It's always worth looking at what it's flagged up before you start deleting willy-nilly. I've seen both of them flag up uncommon software as potential threats and had to flag it up to both SAS and Spybot to get the definitions adjusted. They're pretty good but not infallible ...but better than anti virus software.