big epic ride?.

starsky007
starsky007 Posts: 185
edited July 2009 in XC and Enduro
Im thinking of doing either transrockies or la ruta next year, as anyone done any of them?,
ive looked on websites but i need some advice from someone about doing either of them and what it all intails. what its like, what to take, how much is it all in total things like that.if anyone as advice or is also interested please let me know. thanks
nice new giant trance 3
also ht coyote
s-works epic 2008.

Comments

• SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    I can't tell you what it's like or what it entails but if you've never done anything like this before then may I suggest that you do either the Trans Wales or Isle of Man End to End event first. If you are jumping in at the deep end it could be an easier way to get your arse kicked! ;-)

Alternatively, if you are fit and up for the challenge then I wish you the best of luck. I wish I was fit enough to have a crack at it....the Trans Rockies is one for the future for me I think.

Si
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Would love to do one of these, but the wife would never let me! :cry: One I'm especially keen on is the Cape Epic in South Africa, for which I've bought a lottery entry for next year (only R50=£5) - entries close 30 June for next March event. What especially appeals about the SA race, is the lovely, warm, sunny weather, which you definitely won't get in Wales or the Rockies. And a lot less mud! Here's a link to the site:

http://www.cape-epic.com/
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • Klein XC
    Klein XC Posts: 35
    boneyjoe wrote:
    Would love to do one of these, but the wife would never let me! :cry: One I'm especially keen on is the Cape Epic in South Africa, for which I've bought a lottery entry for next year (only R50=£5) - entries close 30 June for next March event. What especially appeals about the SA race, is the lovely, warm, sunny weather, which you definitely won't get in Wales or the Rockies. And a lot less mud! Here's a link to the site:

http://www.cape-epic.com/

Now that's an event I would love to do. A relative of mine has done it a few times, not sure if he's riding it next year (he lives there - Table Mountain is his local MTB trail, the lucky git!).
    "Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery." Spike Milligan.
  • Rich101
    Rich101 Posts: 30
    The cape epic does look great. I read this a while ago about two guys who did it:

http://www.live-cycle.co.uk/blog/2008/10/

An interesting read if you have the time, should give you an idea of the level of fitness you'd need for something like that. I know i couldn't manage it yet!
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    I have done Trans London it is similar to the SA race...

It is full of dangers, there are the great London muppet brigade. These are packs of cyclists who hunt randomly for a straight line and the have epic rides to work occasionally covering 3-4 miles in a good 4 hours. They face particularly trying times when it comes to 'intersection' crossings where they ignore the clear red danger signals and the great metal beasts rising up from the green lights and pulling them down to the ground where they face horrifying deaths. Apparently this is how 'herds' of the superior mountain bike commuter remain strong. Its is widely known that the MTber will migrate to the countryside to escape the spread of the London muppets where they will punish and grind any obstacles that should get in their way as they mark their riding territory. Much like in Africa you can often hear the MTBer communicating in a dialect similar to the clicking 'Gozo' dialect. There are several versions which one can hear and you may come across the 'Chris King' the 'Hope' or on a very rare occasion you may be lucky and hear the 'Industry Nine', a truly joyful experience. One must be very aware when observing the MTBer as they have natural enemies which do not discriminate and that sift and hide in the bushes as they are a weaker species, I am of course talking about the 'Rambler'. These are a diminutive species that suffer from jealousy and a lower logic gene. They do all they can to destroy the MTBers natural habitat and if you come across one they should be shot on sight as they are considered vermin.

On your epic travels where you may be observing a migration you may note the mating tactics of the MTBer as it relaxes after a hard days hunting for trail. They sit at the ever decreasing watering holes (the curse of Global Browining) and loudly discuss their mightyness and their flight paths over insignificant obstacles, hoping to impress the local 'birds' with impressive displays of DH tops and Carbon and Aluminium appendages. It should be noted that those with the biggest travel often leave the waterhole alone while those of more modest travel and quiet confidence in skill can pick up prized wildlife by simply displaying scar tissue. They will sleep warmly in their makeshift beds.

For your own safety it is worth being aware of the some of the MTBer gods that many pray too. Depending where you may be in the world these gods will differ. It is known in Great Britain that many regularly pray to the old, wise but mighty 'Steve Peat' while some kneel down to the 'Family' of Atherton. Those MTBers which evolve in South Africa are likely to pray to the false idol of 'Greg Minaar'. It will however soon be realised in 2010 that all these gods are but mere pawns in the teachings of the youngun 'Sam Blekinsop'.

.....urrrrrghhhhhh Sorrry

Off topic

:oops:

Ill get my coat......
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Lovely bit of prose Kiwi. There should really be an Attenborough style documentary on this. If you work on the script, I'll see if I can get some funding together. Halfords have some spare dosh I hear, so could sponsor... :D
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • apriliarider
    apriliarider Posts: 222
    Did last years Transrockies (we came 120/300 teams) - answers as follows :lol:

Costs are approx £1200 entry including food / transfers etc & approx £700 flights
    Take spares of anything non standard - ie not Shimano or SRAM - there are cracking service outlets and they are much cheaper than UK - carry spare hanger, tubes,, pads etc
    Train for climbs that will last 1.5 hrs (static bike or turbo best for this as non exist in UK)
    Be prepared to ride for minimum of 5 hrs a day and maximum 9 hrs a day (more if muddy) for 7 days on trot
    Eat as much as you can for breakfast as you will use 4-5000 calories per day
    Make sure you are approx equal standard to your riding mate
    practice technical stuff as much as you can - eg 2km rock garden :shock:

PM me if you need anything else but it is the best, worst, hardest, most exciting and most demoralising thing I have ever done !!!
  • I've done the Cape Epic the last two years and it is absolutely fantastic. The thing that probably makes it all worthwhile is the brilliant organisation of the event. The race itself is on an enormous scale, but everything has been thought of, and the riders are always put first which makes life a lot easier when you're tired and struggling.

In terms of cost, about £450 for entry in 2008, £600 for entry in 2009 and closer to £850 per person for 2010. It is stil cheaper than the Trans Rockies or BC Bike Race though. Flights usually work out around £600 to Cape Town (direct) and then you would need to add £200-300 more for accomodation either side of the event.

If you are going to do one of these type things, I thoroughly recommend tagging a bit of a holiday on the end and having some recovery time, rather than coming straight back (I hurried back this year and regretted it).

I've not done the Trans Rockies, but would like to at some point in the future. I understand it's more of a wilderness ride where you're far away from civilisation on a number of days.

The major thing with the big stage races (Cape Epic, La Ruta, Trans Rockies, Trans-Alp) is that they don't really have much singletrack on them, and often you end up frustrated because many of the other riders can't ride it anyway so you end up queueing. However, the scenery and the riding is stunning and stil well worthwhile. If you're after more singletrack then the BC Bike Race or Trans Provence would be much better options, although neither are now free until 2010. Trans Wales has great riding, loads of singletrack and stunning views (and saves you money due to not having to fly anywhere) but In my opinion it needs a lot more money spent on the organisation and event infrastructure to take it to the levels of the races mentioned at the top of this paragraph.

If you do have the inkling to do any of these events, then just do it. They're not cheap, but the experience and memories will last a life time, and doing the training to get fit for them is never going to harm your overall riding.

The straighter the line, the faster I go!