Anyone from Sussex??

mask of sanity
mask of sanity Posts: 610
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
I live in Uckfield, East Sussex and don’t seem to see many roadies when I’m out on my bike so I thought I would find out about other local roadies using this forum.

Interested to find out things like where you live, routes that you use and clubs that you belong to. :)

Rich

Comments

• PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Sorry Rich, you're in the wrong half, we couldn't be further apart if we tried.

I am surprised you don't see anyone about, esp Sunday mornings.
    You have got the Burgess Hill Rumble (check out the sportive section), in August.
    That will hook you up with people.
  • I was surprised as well! Been out a few sundays and didn't see a single group of riders and just the odd lone rider! Seemed strange!

I've wondered about that club kafkathedog, I got my bike from In Gear and they seem to leave from Uckfield which would be perfect! Not sure on my ability tho! :? Are you a member?

Rich.
  • kafkathedog
    kafkathedog Posts: 242
    Yep I'm a member although living in HH I don't get out that often with them on Sundays. I have done the 5 mile timetrials recently and meet them at various evening TTs

You can check on the forum for the sunday rides, this week they are coming over to HH leaving the shop at 8.

As regards keeping up they are a friendly bunch and will always wait and help out if anyone is struggling.
    That said sunday rides can be around 60+ miles or more depending(it varies week on week). Some very good riders in the group but Sundays are always more of a social 15-16mph average.

Go on the forum and speak to Sam the club secretary he'll let you know more.
    Perhaps you could join in on Sunday and can always turn back when you've had enough.
  • Cool, is that SamD? Would he be likely to get back to me if I PM'ed him as there doesnt seem to be anywhere on the forum where I can ask about club runs. Not sure if I would be able to make this sunday though as I have a twelve hour shift at work on saturday (finishing at about two in the morning! :?) and an eight hour shift on sunday evening! I guess I could just go a short way though...

Sixty miles shouldn't be a problem so long as the average speed isn't to high!! I averaged 18.5 on a 60 mile there and back ride along the A272.

Thanks for your help btw! :)
    Rich.
  • kafkathedog
    In that case you'll be fine distance and speed wise. They like to take in a few hills which brings the average speed down but if you can do 60+ at that sort of speed you'll have no problems.
    The rides vary week on week so you just have to check the forum.

I would have thought Sam will get back to you pretty quick if you PM him.
  • Puzzler
    Puzzler Posts: 73
    edited June 2009
    Lewes Wanderers Cycling club meet at the InGear cycling shop in Uckfield, every Sunday at 8.30am for a different route each week, throughout the year.
    They're a nice club. Check out the website for planned routes http://www.leweswanderers.co.uk/
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I'm another Haywards Heath resident, but not a memeber of any club.

I am usually out for 4-6 hours one day each weekend, and one or two eveings for 90 minutes or so.
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    Another in Haywards Heath but I tend to do more MTBing. A mate of mine in HH does time trials & other rides with the Sussex Nomads who I think are based in Ditchling / Burgess Hill but I believe they ride further afield.

http://www.sussexnomads.org.uk/
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • I'm actually in Isfield...

Can't help on the club front, but for routes, I find that most country lanes going east (along the A272, but not actually on it) or going to towards eastbourne suit my needs.
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Thanks for all the feedback. Shall look into all the recomended clubs :)

Hadn't thought about going that direction robthehungrymonkey. Seem to normally head towards Lewes or Haywards Heath. I shall have a look for a possible route in that direction.

One more quick question, would youn consider East Sussex to be hilly (particually around the Uckfield/Lewes/Haywards Heath area)? People ask me and I never really know if it is becuase there a very few real beastly hills yet i don't think it would be possible to find a flat route. But thats my perception of flat... My hilly may well be someone elses flat...
  • bobtbuilder
    It's not as hilly as other parts of the country, but it is still possible to average 100 feet of climbing per mile, which many forum members have agreed is pretty hilly.

Try heading out towards Crowborough via Hadlow Down, Mayfield, etc. Some great hills out that way.
  • kafkathedog
    Try heading out towards Crowborough via Hadlow Down, Mayfield, etc. Some great hills out that way.

+1

All around ashdown forest is quite hilly - try Kidds hill and Cotchford hill then head out to Langton Green (and back) on the Groombridge rd - thats some decent climbing right there
  • bobtbuilder
    Or there's always Cob Lane from West Hoathly to Ardingly if you like your climbing 20%+ :lol:

Firle Beacon & Bo Peep Lane (nr Selmeston) are great climbs too. Like Ditchling Beacon, only harder, prettier, and really quiet (as they ar both dead-ends). Just head out via Glynde.
  • Wow, looks like im sorted for hills then!! :D Would love to try a 20% hill so shall try and make my way out there! Harder then Ditchling Beacon sounds good!! Did DB the other day and was quite dissapointed by it tbh! It gets so over rated because it's on the L2B route so you get all these non-cyclists going up it and saying how hard it is when its actually quite short and not that steep!! Worked up a hell of a sweat though!! I was also stuck behind a car on the way down so only reached about 35mph! :(

Don't know if you guys have done the hill up the downs just past Alfriston?! not sure what it's called. Did that on my second week of road biking and boy was it tough!! Seems to have a very elusive 'summit' and lots of traffic as well :? Seemed so much harder than DB, although my fitness has improved so an unfair comparrison really.

Not a bad idea that! I've done a couple of rides that went past Buxted primary school and ending up in Hadlow Down via all the country lanes. A nice little ride with some pretty steep hills , they're just short so it's mostly a quick out the saddle effort.

Bobtbuilder, is Glynde the place with the open air opera thing...?! Not sure entirely what it is.

Rich.
  • Puzzler
    Yep, Firle Beacon is on the South side of the A27 from Glynde, where the opera house is.
    Its a nice climb, traffic free mainly and nice and wide so you rarely hold any cars up.

The climb from Alfriston to Seaford is called High and Over and is a nasty climb.
  • Puzzler
    Off memory, Firle Beacon is 1543yds and was used as our club hill climb TT a couple of years ago, winning time of 4.29
    Give it ago!
  • bobtbuilder
    Bobtbuilder, is Glynde the place with the open air opera thing...?! Not sure entirely what it is.

Glyndebourne is the opera thing, Glynde is the village it's held at. It's pretty near you, just head for Ringmer and it will be sign-posted.

Would love to try a 20% hill so shall try and make my way out there

If you do Cob Lane, once you reach Ardingly go down the High Street and take the first right and it will take you on a great little road to Balcombe, over Ardingly Reservoir and two nasty little climbs.

If you want to meet up for a ride, PM me and we can sort it out.
  • I've got a day off tomorrow so shall probably give it a shot! Along with some of the others that have been mentioned hopefully! Although I'm not hoping to get anywhere near 4.29!! Do you know what the average gradient of Firle beacon is? Im guessing its suitable for a road bike, it's just that theres not a road marked on google maps which i thought was strange.

Oh ok, didn't know the 'alfriston hill' was called the High and Over. Hard work but the views from the top make it well worth it!! Simply stunning!! :D

Rich.
  • bobtbuilder
    edited June 2009
    Im guessing its suitable for a road bike

Yeah - it's a regular road. I've just checked Google Maps - you are right, it's not marked. However, it is the road directly across the A27 from the road which goes through Glynde. On the map it is just below the A27 marker. If you zoom right in to the maximum it's called Firle Bostal. It also works if you seach by Firle Bostal.
  • Sorry bobtbuilder, missed your other post as I was writing mine! Have cycled past Glyndebourne a couple of times. Got a nice twenty mile route which goes past it and up the rather lovely hill which leads down to Ringmer! The descent is pretty awesome! :)

I reckon I could get a nice route that would take in cob lane and Arlington reservoir from my house then. Thanks for the info on Firle beacon. Now i have to make the choice about what direction to take tomorrow!

Would be cool to meet for a ride if you're up for it but just to warn you I'm only 21 and have only a month of road bike experience :oops:

Rich.
  • Puzzler
    Can't remember exactly, but my Polar HR Monitor gave the average gradiant of Firle Beacon at just around 8.7%.
    Like bobtbuilder said, its a normal tarmac road in good condition.
  • bobtbuilder
    cob lane and Arlington reservoir

It's ARDINGLY reservoir near Cob Lane. Arlington reservoir is a completely different one.

Rich - just PM'd you (check your inbox underneath the "Best Bike Mags" banner at the top of the Road Forum).
  • Mooney
    Mooney Posts: 5
    I am in Lewes, so just down the road.
    I have been doing a few routes last couple of months. One down through Newhaven, along to Cuckmere Haven then back through the lanes via Laughton, Ringmer, barcombe, etc. It's beautiful. Have done the Alfriston hill and that nearly killed me :0 It's a hell of a lot easier the other way!
    Will try Firle now you guys have mentioned it, never really knew how to get up there. As I say am a newbie to road biking but have completelyt got the bug. I have a Boardman Comp bike which I must say is great for me at my level. Next year I will spash out on something a little better.

If you fancy a ride sometime Rich that'd be cool (although I am a 42 year old, not at my physical peak, and still prone to the odd pint or two of Harveys!)

Mooney
  • bobtbuilder
    The climb from Alfriston to Seaford is called High and Over and is a nasty climb.

Puzzler or Rich - I'm struggling to find this one on Google Maps. Is it the road named Alfriston Road which becomes White Way when it leaves Alfriston village? Which way is the hard climb - towards the sea, or away from the sea?

Cheers,

Rob.
  • Puzzler
    That's the one Rob, head thru Alfriston village from Drusillas, keep on going heading to Seaford and the coast and you will hit High and Over.
    It's very steep in places and harder than Firle Beacon mainly because of the gradient, narrow width and lots of cars.
    Martin
  • Mooney wrote:
    I am in Lewes, so just down the road.
    I have been doing a few routes last couple of months. One down through Newhaven, along to Cuckmere Haven then back through the lanes via Laughton, Ringmer, barcombe, etc. It's beautiful. Have done the Alfriston hill and that nearly killed me :0 It's a hell of a lot easier the other way!
    Will try Firle now you guys have mentioned it, never really knew how to get up there. As I say am a newbie to road biking but have completelyt got the bug. I have a Boardman Comp bike which I must say is great for me at my level. Next year I will spash out on something a little better.

If you fancy a ride sometime Rich that'd be cool (although I am a 42 year old, not at my physical peak, and still prone to the odd pint or two of Harveys!)

Mooney

Laughton, Ringmer and Barcombe are often where I end up! A really nice place to cycle and the roads are so quiet! Wouldn't say no to going for a ride! Always nice to meet like-minded people (beer and bikes :wink: )! Definitely need to meet more cycling enthusiasts as im boring my family by talking about it all the time! :P

Just came back from cycling Firle Beacon and its a 'nice' hill to cycle! Much nicer and more difficult than DB. I think the fact that it's alot more open (therefore windy) and that you can see the whole hill makes it harder. Did it in just over 5 and a half mins i think so a long way to go still!! The descent was pretty terrrifying though! Went from rolling over the top of the hill to 25/30 mph in about three seconds without pedaling! :D
  • Puzzler
    Think you're a slightly better cyclist than you think!
    If you can get up firle in around five and half minutes after riding there and I assume you weren't TTing up it, then you should join a club young man.
    We at Lewes Wanderers will welcome you with open arms!
  • Puzzler wrote:
    Think you're a slightly better cyclist than you think!
    If you can get up firle in around five and half minutes after riding there and I assume you weren't TTing up it, then you should join a club young man.
    We at Lewes Wanderers will welcome you with open arms!

Thanks, very nice of you to say :) I think i must have made a mistake though. If I did it in that time I think it would mean i was averaging 12mph if my maths is correct, which I def wasn't. Think I was going more like 8mph. Wish I'd made more effort to record time and speed now!! lol. Shall just have to go up it again!! :D

As for joining a club, I'm going on a trial club run with VC In Gear shortly, so will see how that goes :) Thanks though.
  • Puzzler
    Oh ok, if it was 8mph you were going then VC Ingear can have you.

Only kidding :D
    Thats a very respectable time whilst out on a training ride, it is a tough climb, quite undulating so its hard to get into a rhythm.
    Worth looking at the local website www.ontherivet.ning.com for local racing and club info'.
    Sussex Nomads seem to do some friendly local rides for all cub members or riders to come along to, worth checking out.
    Martin