Bristol to Bath to Devizes

Special K
Special K Posts: 449
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am arriving in Bristol this Saturday by train with the intention of cycling to Devizes taking in the Avon and Kennet canal.

What's the best route out of Bristol? Is there a path along the river Avon? Any recommendations gratefully received!

Thanks so much!
"There are holes in the sky,
Where the rain gets in.
But they're ever so small
That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Best route is the Bristol Bath Railway Path

There are a few detours at the moment, but out of Temple Meads back entrance and it is signposted

Then links directly to the Canal by Bath Spa Station
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Special K
    thanks!

I might try that, thank you.
    Where the rain gets in.
  • Special K
    Full marks for a great recommendation.

Bristol and Bath route is great. I carried on along the canal to Devizes and then national cycle route 4 to Pewsey where I got the train back to London

Stayed at Foxhangers campsite at the bottom of Caen Hill - absolutely fine, good location, friendly owner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO9MHU70EcA&feature=channel_page
    Where the rain gets in.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Here is a link to the Kennet and Avon cycleway. Me and a mate did Bath to Thatcham a couple of years ago. Bath to Devises is pretty much all metalled and a breeze to ride. Lovely trip, enjoy.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Canal tow path can get pretty busy with family cyclists etc. If you are hoping to cane it at high speed on a road bike you might get frustrated. If you are looking for a pleasant, flat country ride then you're in for a treat.
  • Special K
    thanks - did this last weekend and indeed it was busy up to Bradford-upon-Avon, but happily was comfortable pootling along admiring the view.

heartily recommended to anyone in the area. Reckon the route from Reading to Bristol is most happily covered this way.

thanks again for the tips, really appreciated - check out the video clip I posted - the little fella certainly had a spring in his step.
    Where the rain gets in.