Exciting Tour footage

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Following Ian's thread... My other half is a French teacher and wishes to plunder my TDF DVD collection or Youtube for 20 minutes of riveting racing action to dazzle her students with next week.

On DVD I have: 2001, 2003, 2008, Hell on Wheels and that Italian Legends of the Tour DVD. The internet is obvioulsy better stocked...

Your nominations please!
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Not sure about racing action, but in Hell on Wheels (I think, either that or it's on youtube in the extended clip of the "Wired to Win" film, or both) there are a couple of fantastic helicopter shots of riders going over the summit of the Galibier, and across a bridge in the beautiful town of Sisteron - definitely worth including even though they only last a few seconds, really spectacular footage.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Got to be 2003 doesn't it ?
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • DaveyL
    Also the few seconds in "Hell on Wheels" where Armstrong flies up Luz Ardiden through a sea of absolutely bonkers Basque fans is pretty cool too.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Following Ian's thread... My other half is a French teacher and wishes to plunder my TDF DVD collection or Youtube for 20 minutes of riveting racing action to dazzle her students with next week.

On DVD I have: 2001, 2003, 2008, Hell on Wheels and that Italian Legends of the Tour DVD. The internet is obvioulsy better stocked...

Your nominations please!

Kids love crashes. So Abdu in 1991, Jalabert in 1994 (?), that one a couple of years ago when three of them went over the barrier (was it Verbrugge? I can't remember). Casar and Burghart cycling into dogs. (All on YouTube I think).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    DaveyL wrote:
    Not sure about racing action, but in Hell on Wheels (I think, either that or it's on youtube in the extended clip of the "Wired to Win" film, or both) there are a couple of fantastic helicopter shots of riders going over the summit of the Galibier, and across a bridge in the beautiful town of Sisteron - definitely worth including even though they only last a few seconds, really spectacular footage.

A good choice. I think this is what you mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypGlreJYFWM

There's a link in the description so you can download a nine minute version on i-tunes (for free)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DaveyL
    That's the one. I'm sure a lot of that footage is in Hoellentour as well though.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • If you can get your hands on it, I'd have to nominate the movie "Overcoming". The film follows team CSC in the 2004 TDF. The Alpe d'Huez time trial chapter is amazing.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    From youtube, the last minute of the 1989 tour de france with french commentary.... they should have learnt the meaning of the word 'perdu' after that ;)
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Highlights of 2003, reasons:

1) Its recent-ish so will mean more as the kids will have been alive andhence relate better.
    2) LA is in it and they'll know who he is
    3) Its got loads of crashes (Beloki, LA, Ullrich), and as noted previously kids love crashes
    4) The attacks on the Alp and also by LA after his crash (which climb is it I can't remember?) are good as well.
    5) Its the centenary addition which adds some historical context.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    For archive stuff of the classic years check out the noisy newsreel footage at http://www.youtube.com/user/inatourdefrance

Ermm, having taken a look again, I see they have deleted the best stuff. Oh well, try this one from British Pathé news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4l9sJJK2iA&NR=1
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd suggest trying to piece together something with

a) something fast (a few sprints maybe and footage of descents)
    b) something showing the splendor of France
    c) all the weather
    d) crashes with guys getting up and carrying on
    e) people quitting in tears
    f) someone winning something

Like an advert, innit.

If there are teenage boys involved, make sure the podium girls feature.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    There is this one showing a fast descent in the tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kZSzB4kEE8
  • Don't forget Lance Armstrong's foray across a farmers field after swerving around a crashing Beloki on a decent in the 2003 tour! I Think it was stage 9.

The video should also be punctuated throughout by epic Sherwin and Liggetisms!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Don't forget Lance Armstrong's foray across a farmers field after swerving around a crashing Beloki on a decent in the 2003 tour! I Think it was stage 9.

The video should also be punctuated throughout by epic Sherwin and Liggetisms!

Exactly what we settled on...

I proposed the tourmalet or izoard deacents from hell on wheels, but she was getting edgy about driving on our alps trip in july so these were swiftly shelved.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent