Scottish Audax Noob Chat!

tyax
tyax Posts: 106
edited October 2009 in Road beginners
As a continuation of the frankly epic but now slightly redundant and off-topic Edinburgh To St. Andrews 2009 thread, seeing as it's all about Audaxing now, Crapaud wisely suggested a new thread. So let's have it! :D

I reckon I'll be signing up for it, and am more than happy to ride in a slower group. AMcD, I'm looking at you :wink: Am seeing if my sis fancies it as well, can't see her not wanting to have a bash 8)

From the emails so far I think Audaxing does indeed look like the future. I especially liked the joke comparing them to sportives, most of the sportive-type riders I see don't look like they're having too much fun, but then I'm not particularly competetive, so mibbe's that's why :lol:
2010 Specialized Competition Secateurs, hell yeh ;)

Comments

• screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    As a continuation of the frankly epic but now slightly redundant and off-topic Edinburgh To St. Andrews 2009 thread, seeing as it's all about Audaxing now, Crapaud wisely suggested a new thread. So let's have it! :D

I reckon I'll be signing up for it, and am more than happy to ride in a slower group. AMcD, I'm looking at you :wink: Am seeing if my sis fancies it as well, can't see her not wanting to have a bash 8)

From the emails so far I think Audaxing does indeed look like the future. I especially liked the joke comparing them to sportives, most of the sportive-type riders I see don't look like they're having too much fun, but then I'm not particularly competetive, so mibbe's that's why :lol:

Tyaxnoob - i'll be signing up for this one also. Even if MightyW decides to go running rather than cycling (burn the witch! :lol: ) I wll travel up from Glasgow for it. Given it will be a small gathering i will at least get to meet you and AMcD this time!
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    If we're going to start doing this audaxing malarkey does that mean I have to buy some lycra shorts :cry:

Definitely doing the Forfar one, after we got such great support from the organisers / more experienced riders.

I agree with AMCD's comments about knowing the route - given our obsessing over the details of th Edi-St Andrews route it will be a different challenge to do a different route that I haven't mentally 'mapped out'.

The whole navigating thing will be an interesting challenge, as I'm rubbish at any kind of map work. If I can get a decent route in advance I'll probably just cheat and stick it on the garmin edge :D
  • tyax
    I have lycra shorts, I just haven't lost enough weight from my posterior to wear them in public. Yet. When I do, I expect society as we know it to come crashing down around my ears :lol:

mightyw - I think Crapaud posted a link to the route on Bikely, you should be able to convert or download that to a .gpx or .crs file, or whatever type your 705 likes to eat 8) I suck at mapreading too, but from looking at some of the other Audax courses you get a sort of textual route plan that tells you where to turn based on landmarks, so that might be okay?

Still waiting to hear from my sis, but will get signed up for Forfar once she's been in touch :)

Must get my username changed, I no longer feel like a noob 8)
  • Really sorry but whats an Audax?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • tyax
    Really sorry but whats an Audax?
    I may be the wrong person to answer, but it seems to me to be riding against the clock with a minimum and maximum time allowed, and an emphasis on completing the given distance rather than doing it as fast as humanly possible.

The Audax UK website would probably explain it better than I could, as would any number of forum regulars here 8)
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Really sorry but whats an Audax?
    It's long distance cycling. Audax UK defines long distance as 200+ km, but what's being discussed here are what AUK calls Brevet Populaires (BPs) or rides less than 200 km. For the moment at least a 100 km in Forfar. They are not races or sportives. More info at AUK FAQs. Also see the end of the Edinburgh - St Andrews thread (link above) for a brief description of what to expect on an audax.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • screebs
    I sent my application off this afternoon for the Forfar Audax on 16 August - looking forward to trying this out.8)

SCREEBS

PS is it just me that whenever I see Forfar mentioned, i think of the the 2 Ronnies reading the football results? "Forfar four East Fife Five" :lol:
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • themightyw
    Screebs and I look to be a definite, going to try to drag some other folk along from work. Anyone else up for this one?
  • Crapaud
    themightyw wrote:
    Screebs and I look to be a definite, going to try to drag some other folk along from work. Anyone else up for this one?
    I'm going to do the 82 km Strathspey Treasure Hunt in Newtonmore (just printed off the entry). I haven't cycled up there before, but I'm determined that I'll do at least one meaningful ride this year and the scenery up there should be amazing if the weather's half way decent. If I feel up to it I might even try the 100 km the day before.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    screebs wrote:
    I
    PS is it just me that whenever I see Forfar mentioned, i think of the the 2 Ronnies reading the football results? "Forfar four East Fife Five" :lol:

I don't remember the show myself but remember my Auntie in fits of laughter trying to describe the sketch too me. She was always quoting the two Ronnies!

Well, I've sent off my form this morning for the Lest-not - Forfar ride :lol: . Decided as as I was going straight back into weekly long runs, to have a few extra days rest. Don't marathoners' rest for a week after a race? :wink: . Have yet to get back on the bike but today's the day, even if it's only 30mins to get me back in the swing.

Considering I'm only just over the 15kph slowest average allowed I don't think anyone should offer to ride with me :D - especially as I'll cheat by drafting :lol: . Don't want us all busting a gut in the last 20 miles trying to get under the time limit :oops: . I'll also have to learn to eat and wee on the bike (or is it only blokes that should do that :? )

Does anyone ever fail an Audax - I suppose you could fail to finish but it would be miserable to miss bagging one by just a few minutes :?

Stephen King wrote "The Long Walk", set in the future, about a million dollar prize for anyone who could walk at 4mph for the longest time - it stretched over days, or perhaps a couple of weeks if I can remember. The only problem for the entrants was that they were shot on the spot :shock: if they stopped or walked slower than 4mph. The last one standing won of course. If they ever brought this rule in for audaxing it would definately make it more interesting :lol: . It's a great book and such a shock when the first person is shot!
  • screebs
    AMcD - glad to see you've signed up, it is only 62 miles so less than the Edinburgh to St Andrews ride, you will be fine for time I'm sure. Finally, got a chance to look at your photos earlier - so at least I will know who to look out for in Forfar now!

It's good to have another challenge to look forward to - well, one beyond my Mont Ventoux challenge next week! :shock:

Think the mightyw and myself have managed to rope in another couple of folk from work, so we should swell the numbers a bit.
  • themightyw
    AMcD wrote:
    Considering I'm only just over the 15kph slowest average allowed I don't think anyone should offer to ride with me :D - especially as I'll cheat by drafting :lol: . Don't want us all busting a gut in the last 20 miles trying to get under the time limit :oops: . I'll also have to learn to eat and wee on the bike (or is it only blokes that should do that :? )

Does anyone ever fail an Audax - I suppose you could fail to finish but it would be miserable to miss bagging one by just a few minutes :?

I believe there's a 200k on the same day, using the same end point so the organiser will be there until about 9pm, so there's plenty of time. The audax guys seem very organised, so I suspect that if you're outside the time limits it might not 'count' formally, but who cares? It's enough of an achievement finishing as far as i'm concerned!
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    I'm still trying to figure out which particular Audax is being discussed here - can anyone enlighten me?

ta. :)
  • Crapaud
    Roger_This wrote:
    I'm still trying to figure out which particular Audax is being discussed here - can anyone enlighten me?

ta. :)
    Lethnot and Lunan:100km Sun 16 Aug, Forfar £5.00
    Route
  • Sparklehorse
    Sparklehorse Posts: 126
    call 0898 100100 now for raw and unadultarated Scottish Audax Newb Chat
  • tyax
    I phoned, and was disappointed with the quality of your service. I had hoped for better responses when I asked "tell me what colour of panniers you have on?", and "take your mudguards off.... slowly..."

Refund, or I inform OFCOM.
  • themightyw
    tyax wrote:
    I phoned, and was disappointed with the quality of your service. I had hoped for better responses when I asked "tell me what colour of panniers you have on?", and "take your mudguards off.... slowly..."

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned lycra shorts :cry:
  • screebs
    tyax wrote:

tyaxnoob - I laughed and now trying to explain to the wife why I'm laughing without sounding like a complete weirdo! :lol:
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Just found this thread, I was wondering where everyone had disappeared to... :lol:

For all those who have entered you should receive details of the route in the post, usually no less than one week in advance but knowing Dave (organiser) most likely before this. If you are still worried about not having a map of the route I could probably get it onto bikely if that would help. I'm fairly busy at work this week then off on holiday for the following fortnight but I'll see what I can do.

See you all there 8)
  • AMcD
    tyax wrote:

:D:D:D

In view of the the poor response you got Tyax I won't bother wasting my money and asking if he could, very slowly, peel apart the velcro fasteners on his panniers................

Not dissappeared Noodley, just busy training :wink: . Have done two 7am rides to avoid the heat of the day this week - is this really the UK? Today drank 2 pints on an 11 mile route! I can now also ride on consequetive days due to changing my saddle - am very happy :lol: . Before that my bum needed 48 hours rest :oops: .

I'm sure there's already a link been posted to the route Noodley - perhaps it was on the previous thread (Edin to St Andrew's) - I know I've seen it and plan to have a proper look and print off the elevation profile and tape it to the handlebars on the day!
  • screebs
    Noodley wrote:
    Just found this thread, I was wondering where everyone had disappeared to... :lol:

For all those who have entered you should receive details of the route in the post, usually no less than one week in advance but knowing Dave (organiser) most likely before this. If you are still worried about not having a map of the route I could probably get it onto bikely if that would help. I'm fairly busy at work this week then off on holiday for the following fortnight but I'll see what I can do.

See you all there 8)

Noodley - here's the link to the route coutesy of Crapaud - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Le ... unan-Audax
  • Noodley
    screebs wrote:
    [Noodley - here's the link to the route coutesy of Crapaud - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Le ... unan-Audax

That looks 100% spot-on. 8) And the elevation corresponds exactly with my recollection of the sore bits :lol:
  • themightyw
    Noodley wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    [Noodley - here's the link to the route coutesy of Crapaud - http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Le ... unan-Audax

That looks 100% spot-on. 8) And the elevation corresponds exactly with my recollection of the sore bits :lol:

Hi Noodley. If you're the chap I think you are from some other cycling forums, I believe you've also done the Edi - St As cycle. Out of curiosity how do the two compare?
  • tyax
    Aargh! I haven't been out on the bike once this week :o :oops: Lack of time has conspired to ruin my training... however I'm off to Skye for a week from tomorrow, and am taking the bike with me. The Trotternish Peninsula route looks good at 50 miles :D

Incidentally I phone the bloke about the Trek 1.2, predictably it had already been sold. Been looking into the alternatives, but it just seems impossible to get 2009 bikes new just now. I looked at a Giant in EBC for £480, but it seemed to be almost identical component-wise to the Carrera Valour which is over a hundres quid cheaper :roll: I'm still debating about whether or not to get a roadie now, I suspect I'm still too heavy and would wreck the wheels. Wonder what the heaviest roadie on Bikeradar rides... :?:
  • Noodley
    themightyw wrote:
    Out of curiosity how do the two compare?

see here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... &start=240

:wink:
  • heftyrider
    heftyrider Posts: 70
    tyax wrote:
    I'm still debating about whether or not to get a roadie now, I suspect I'm still too heavy and would wreck the wheels. Wonder what the heaviest roadie on Bikeradar rides... :?:

I got mine when at 22st, had no problems with it due to weight. Did spend 60quid getting a stronger back wheel but was having no hassles before doing it.
  • Crapaud
    themightyw wrote:
    ... Out of curiosity how do the two compare?
    Edinburgh - St Andrews: Total climb: 884m Total descent: 920m

3685011449_a6f5b0430a_o.gif

Lethnot and Lunan: Total climb: 887m Total descent: 884m

3685011457_a3f2e47eae_o.gif
  • AMcD
    Thanks Crapaud, that's great info. Looks like the Forfar run starts off with a few uphills whereas the Edin-St Andrew's was fairly flat until after the Forth Road Bridge (apart from the unexpected slog at Kirkliston).

There's a sharp verticle at about 45km on the Forfar run, presume that's similar to the hill after Freuchie, and a longer hill at 70km that seems a gentler gradient. Seems very similar though in overall ascent / descent so now not worried, unless we have a heatwave on the day :lol: .

By the way, what did you use to get these maps? Was it Bikely?
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    Where do you get those profile graphs? I wouldn't mind comparing it to some of the hills I'm doing at the moment (I'm fairly sure ti'll be nothing like it but you can hope!)