overtakers who sit there

inaperfectworld
inaperfectworld Posts: 219
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
when somebody overtakes me at speed and disappears off up the road i think "crikey well done mate you're a hundred times fitter than i am ". what i don't understand are those who overtake and then go along no faster ahead than you are going. they don't drop in front as if suggesting drafting, but just ride 10 yards ahead. then sometimes a hill comes and they slow down, slower than you want to go, so do you overtake ? it seems like issuing a challenge. maybe though it's me subconsciously speeding up?

Comments

1892 Posts: 1,690
    It's because they're f*****d from catching you
    Justice for the 96
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Has happened to me as well.

Sometmes they pull out of one's draft and realise just how F*cking hard you are working to cut through the headwind, and their legs die after a few seconds.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Sometimes it's not deliberate - On a recent ride I turned on to a road as another cyclist went past and we spent 6 miles yo-yoing. He dropped me on the hills, but I overtook him on the flat bits. He didn't want to speak, so we kept up this ridiculous scenario until I turned off. I wasn' t trying to catch him on the flat bits, it's just where I was stronger.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Overtake them and just sit there, going even slower than them. Make a conscious effort to be annoying. Do exactly what they do but 10 times slower. Wobble about and do a few quick emergency braking techniques.

Kind of like what you see in track racing when they're messing about before the sprint. :lol:
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Bhima wrote:
    Overtake them and just sit there, going even slower than them. Make a conscious effort to be annoying. Do exactly what they do but 10 times slower. Wobble about and do a few quick emergency braking techniques.

great idea - try to cause an accident..... :roll:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I overtook a girl on a hybrid last night struggling up a hill, I slowed down after I passed her because she was puffing really hard and red faced and I didn't want her to feel bad :oops:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    prawny wrote:
    I overtook a girl on a hybrid last night struggling up a hill, I slowed down after I passed her because she was puffing really hard and red faced and I didn't want her to feel bad :oops:

.... yeah cause you did.... how noble... lol
  • prawny
    mgcycleguy wrote:
    prawny wrote:

.... yeah cause you did.... how noble... lol

She was a dog, I didn't want to follow her 8)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Dog+rides+bike.jpg

:?:
  • prawny
    whyamihere wrote:
    Dog+rides+bike.jpg

:?:

Nah her arse was much bigger

Edit: Oh come on even my nan says arse, does that really need censoring? :roll:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Yeah, as already suggested I'd doubt if they mean't anything by it tbh. Probably just tired from overtaking you, not realising the effort it needed to get past.

I was on a lone ride last week and was about 50 miles in to a 70 miler. I came to a hill of about 12% (no more than half a mile climb, if that) and noticed a guy clad in Assos from head to foot on a trek about half way up. I had no real intentions of overtaking him to prove any points but just used him as a motivator to get up the hill quicker. I ended up passing him quite easily. Said morning, coming through etc, and just carried on at my normal speed. I look round about a few minutes and he was out the saddle really going for it. He never got close but was probably using me as the same sort of motivation as I did him. All good fun..
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    prawny wrote:

You see I don't get that at all.

You don't know her from Adam and so what if she's struggling. It's not your fault and you really shouldn't feel bad at all. I certainly don't. The same way I'd expect fitter riders than me to behave when they go wizzing past me on Box Hill climbs.

No biggie, and I'm sure I'll catch up with them soon..;-)
  • prawny
    Maybe I;m just too nice? :)

I do like to destroy people on better bikes than mine who jump red lights though :twisted:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    You just wanted to show her your butt in all its lycra nappy looking glory
  • bianchi777
    bianchi777 Posts: 101
    I usually just chase 'em and stay on their wheel. I overtake when they're knackered. :D
  • prawny
    guilliano wrote:
    You just wanted to show her your butt in all its lycra nappy looking glory

You may be onto something there, it's rock hard now my ass, but no one wants a squeeze :?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017