Loose handlebars?

ocaaaaa
ocaaaaa Posts: 55
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Left this morning to get to the office and thought my position was leaning forward a bit more than usual - went to stand up and put a bit more pressure on the bars and they went forward - turns out the bolts had come loose , letting the handlebars move :shock:

Surely this shoudln't really happen? Luckily I had my trusty multi tool on me to fix it straight away :lol:

Comments

• No it shouldn't! Is it a new bike? When I got my new bike I managed to not tighten the handlebars enough and came off the front when they slipped whilst I was riding. I would suggest tightening them with a torque wrench or taking it to your LBS and getting them to do it.
    Not lost, just exploring...
  • ocaaaaa
    ocaaaaa Posts: 55
    Synapse Carbon , around 4 months old now.

I've done over 1k miles on it, so definetely wasn't loose at purchase, just seems strange for it to come loose for no reason :shock:
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    The vibrations from the road probably worked the bolts loose, it's not unusual. Check your stem/seatpost/handlebar mounting bolts regularily. Especially if you are riding in the UK on our wonderfully *ahem* smooth roads
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Friend of mine actually had his handlebars come off in his hands - going down a steep, narrow, windy road at 45mph...