How far are you from your cycling club

suze
suze Posts: 302
edited June 2009 in The bottom bracket
Long story...but we live in Rochdale and are both members of Eask Kilbride Road club. :?

There's a whole gang of us who ride at the Manchester velodrome who are members of East Kilbride RC and live in the north West. :shock:

Whats the furthest you are from your club?

PS:- we're also members of VC D'Ardbeg..... :P
�3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style

Comments

• PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    less than 1 mile, though I don't go with them !!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    45 miles
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Benslow
    Benslow Posts: 7
    Nearest club is 0.5 miles, but better club which i go to is 10 miles.

Its a nice warmup on a Sunday morning before the club run.

:)
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    86.1 miles...
  • mcmullej
    mcmullej Posts: 136
    200 metres.

It's a sort of informal club based at my local. Very handy.
  • It is quite strange how far some people are from their 'local' clubs. I go to a club called VCDeal and although it is supposed to be based around Deal, most of the club runs etc are based right at the other end of Kent because most of the members are from further away, even though there are bike clubs all over Kent.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    suze wrote:
    ... There's a whole gang of us who ride at the Manchester velodrome who are members of East Kilbride RC and live in the north West. :shock: ...
    Do you mean the East Kilbride just south of Glasgow? :shock: Or is there another one?

I used to go out with Ayrshire CTC which was around 30 miles away. The 2 racing clubs that I've toyed with joining - if I ever get up to speed - are 10 and ~25 miles which is a bit of a scunner.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    My last club (Goodmayes Wheelers) folded in 2007 after exactly 100 years. Even though I had moved 300 miles away I was still a member for six years after, even carrying on as magazine editor thanks to the interweb.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Nearest club is about 2 miles away, a family run business - man is chairman, wife deputy, daughter membership secretary, son treasurer, etc. I forget what roles the other 5 daughters have, or the son-in-laws, but they all do something in the club. I know them and they’re friendly and we’ve assisted each other from time to time about different cycling matters, but I’ve never joined because I was told by a previous member that if you’re not in the family, your opinions carry little weight. This has caused their racing bike section to disappear almost completely.

The club to which I belonged folded about 5 years ago when membership dwindled to about 10, having been about 50 a decade earlier. It was about 5 miles away and although most members were within a 10 mile radius, 3 were from up to 140 miles away.

Afterwards, for nearly two years, I half-joined a club about 10 miles away, i.e. rode over a dozen times with them and went to 3-4 club meetings. I never actually ‘signed on’ because I was dangling in the middle between 5-6 really good riders and 20-odd poorer riders. The last 9 months I’ve been similarly involved with another club about 15 miles away, where abilitywise I have more company.

Neither club has ever put pressure on me to become a member but still always encourage me to join them on rides, which I really appreciate. One of the members of the latest club I mix with told me he did the same as I'm doing for 3-4 years before he joined, but by then he felt he had to - for two years on the trot they gave him an annual award as best club rider of his age group, even though he wasn't a club member!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    We meet 8.34 miles from my house. :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t wrote:

wow, you must go through so many bananas to do that. :shock:
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    19.71 miles there

19.43 miles back :?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    a_n_t wrote:

wow, you must go through so many bananas to do that. :shock:

takes about 2 hours, due to banana ingestion.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    7.5 miles
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    Crapaud wrote:
    suze wrote:
    ... There's a whole gang of us who ride at the Manchester velodrome who are members of East Kilbride RC and live in the north West. :shock: ...
    Do you mean the East Kilbride just south of Glasgow? :shock: Or is there another one?

Yep thats the one ! EKRC just south of Glasgow. The Manchester branch are known as the ethnic concessions. As you can imagine the cross border banter is ribald. :shock:

http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    suze wrote:
    ... Yep thats the one ! EKRC just south of Glasgow. The Manchester branch are known as the ethnic concessions. As you can imagine the cross border banter is ribald. :shock:

http://www.ekroadclub.co.uk/
    Do you mean Ribbled? :D

Thanks for the link, Suze, I've bookmarked it for consideration. I've been looking for a local club. Even though I don't race the Wed evening rides might be just the dab.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    The bridge over the A2 that VC Deal use is just under 3 miles from my home. And I pass through Eastry to get to Fowlmead. I am officially the fattest member of VC Deal as Chris sold me a mistakenly oversized shirt that he was sent and it fits me ! It's that large that it has FOUR back pockets !!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    12.5 miles 8) .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    OVW 19.5 miles but there are two others Cardiff Ajax and Jiff within 2 miles.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business