Edinburgh to St Andrew's route

Comments

• screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    themightyw wrote:
    Still haven't been out on the bike either but have been a tad under the weather.
    !

Swine Flu alert! :wink:

AMCD - as for the next challenge, my big (really stupid!) challenge is only 2 weeks away! Hadn't let on to anyone other than MightyW but two weeks tomorrow i am tackling this monster - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Ventoux - which is the penultimate stage of this years Tour De France. I am only doing the last 13 miles (from Bedoin to the peak of Mont ventoux)
    :shock:

Think i have bitten off more than i can chew but i will give it a go!
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    themightyw wrote:
    Look forward to seeing the photos, AMCD! We need to find a decent 100miler to work towards. I had considered the Caledonia Etape or the Trossachs Ton next year, but they do sound a pretty steep jump in difficulty. ...
    No! Consider how far you've all come in a short space of time. You're all up to 60+ miles already and you've got nearly a year to build on that. If you can maintain your base fitness over the winter it should be a cinch to build up to 100 miles. There's still plenty of time to consolidate your achievements so far: build on your hill climbing, speed and endurance for the remains of the summer and maintain it over the winter. If you sit back and rest on your laurels you'll lose all that you've achieved, and then it'd be a steep jump.

Suggestion: Pedal for Scotland (13th September).
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • tyax
    tyax Posts: 106
    I went out on the bike yesterday, cycled to the blood transfusion centre, a nice 10 mile round trip that felt literally like walking up a very small flight of stairs compared with Saturday :lol:

Planning on commuting tomorrow if the weather's okay, which is another 18 miles, then will hopefully get out for a 20 or 30 miler on Sunday 8) I hope to keep up a pattern of cycling 3 times a week including one commute.

I too was giving thought to the Trossachs Ton next year, but as with PfS and Edi-St. A's I'll probably wait till the start of next year before making a decision, I've no idea what my fitness will be like then. I haven't been cycling long enough to be bullishly confident this far in advance :? Might sound like a copout, but the ton will be playing on my mine from this moment on.

My next personal goal is to build up to a hundred miler before the end of this year, even if it is just a relatively flat one. Anyone fancy Edinburgh - Stirling and back? :D

Anyone who done St. Andrews on Saturday will find Pedal For Scotland absolutely fine, there's only really one proper climb (out the back of Avonbridge) and it's really nice to do a supported ride, no baggage necessary! If it wasn't for logistical probs I'd probably give it another go myself.
    2010 Specialized Competition Secateurs, hell yeh ;)
  • Crapaud
    Another suggestion:
      Lethnot and Lunan:100km Sun 16 Aug, Forfar £5.00
    Route
    It's an audax, so a wee bitty different to Edin - St Andrews, but is about the same distance.

There are also 2 out of Newtonmore, 100 & 82km at the end of Aug. Cost £2.50 each.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • screebs
    tyaxnoob wrote:
    I too was giving thought to the Trossachs Ton next year, but as with PfS and Edi-St. A's I'll probably wait till the start of next year before making a decision, I've no idea what my fitness will be like then. I haven't been cycling long enough to be bullishly confident this far in advance :? Might sound like a copout, but the ton will be playing on my mine from this moment on.

The Trossachs Ton is scheduled for 20 June 2010 - that is the same weekend this year as the Lepra Edinburgh to St Andrews, so there may be a clash. I have emailed Ros at Lepra to find out if they have a date for 2010 yet.
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Crapaud wrote:
    Another suggestion:
    Route
    It's an audax, so a wee bitty different to Edin - St Andrews, but is about the same distance.

There are also 2 out of Newtonmore, 100 & 82km at the end of Aug. Cost £2.50 each.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Crapaud! Much appreciated.

I got out on the saddle yesterday evening also. Just did my standard 15mile look (takes in a couple of steep hills) and definitely noticed a big change even from 2 weeks ago (was 16.5mph then, 17.8mph last night). I guess slogging away for the best part of 5 hours was a good workout in itself!
  • screebs
    themightyw wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    Another suggestion:
    Route

Thanks for all the suggestions, Crapaud! Much appreciated.

I got out on the saddle yesterday evening also. Just did my standard 15mile look (takes in a couple of steep hills) and definitely noticed a big change even from 2 weeks ago (was 16.5mph then, 17.8mph last night). I guess slogging away for the best part of 5 hours was a good workout in itself!

Going to try and get out tonight if the wife has got over the flu when in get home - i'm sure the 67 miles at the weekend did us good, just didn't seem it at the time!
  • Crapaud
    Oops! Meant to post links to the rides.
      Forfar:
      100km 16 Aug Forfar Lethnot and Lunan
      09:00 Sun BP £5.00 David Husband

Newtonmore:
      100km 29 Aug Newtonmore Grantown Gallop
      10:00 Sat BP £3.00 Sonya Crawford

82km 30 Aug Newtonmore Strathspey Treasure Hunt
      09:30 Sun BP £2.50 Sonya CrawfordI can't link directly to the info, but if you click on this link and then the relevant link on the page the details will come up.

I thought I'd missed the Newtonmore weekend, so I might just be doing them myself. Although the way my year's been going I'd give myself a 50/50 chance.
    • tyax
      To echo screebs, thanks for the suggestions Crapaud :D

I've looked into Audax before, but it looked really confusing for the likes of me, and I still can't say I know what it's all about! However last time I looked at it the distances were out of the question for me, now they're not :)

The 82KM one might be a goer for me, but do I need to be a club member or anything like that, or just turn up?
    • mercurykev
      mercurykev Posts: 264
      tyaxnoob wrote:

I've looked into Audax before, but it looked really confusing for the likes of me, and I still can't say I know what it's all about! However last time I looked at it the distances were out of the question for me, now they're not :)

The 82KM one might be a goer for me, but do I need to be a club member or anything like that, or just turn up?

Audax is pretty straight forward and you don't need to be a member of a club to take part - although you do need to send away any entry in advance, with your entry fee and a couple of SAEs. The main differences are that there is a time limit based on a minimum speed (you get about 8 hours to complete a 100km and 13 for a 200km but this includes stops too); the route isn't sign posted - so you need to navigate yourself round; and you need to be self sufficient with regards to punctures and mechanical probelms.

However, it's a very friendly sort of riding, with routes that range from 50km to 2500km - most people just stick with 100 and 200kms - and there is a calendar of events with rides happening all the time. The calendar is here: http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm

If you like cycling and like the idea of riding new routes and the ability to challenge yourself, I'd recommend it. If you a race, then I wouldn't.
    • screebs
      mercurykev wrote:
      tyaxnoob wrote:

Audax is pretty straight forward and you don't need to be a member of a club to take part - although you do need to send away any entry in advance, with your entry fee and a couple of SAEs. The main differences are that there is a time limit based on a minimum speed (you get about 8 hours to complete a 100km and 13 for a 200km but this includes stops too); the route isn't sign posted - so you need to navigate yourself round; and you need to be self sufficient with regards to punctures and mechanical probelms.

However, it's a very friendly sort of riding, with routes that range from 50km to 2500km - most people just stick with 100 and 200kms - and there is a calendar of events with rides happening all the time. The calendar is here: http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm

If you like cycling and like the idea of riding new routes and the ability to challenge yourself, I'd recommend it. If you a race, then I wouldn't.

Thanks for the info m8 - sounds just the job for over the hill newbies like me! I'm not going to pretend to be racing the teenagers but distances are long enough that i'll continue to get a lot out of it personally.
    • Crapaud
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      ... I've looked into Audax before, but it looked really confusing for the likes of me, and I still can't say I know what it's all about!
      I can understand that! :D it does seem a bit strange if you haven't done one before, and, IMO, that's the easiest way to find out. It's not really that complex.

I see Mercurykev's had a go at explaining audax, but I'd put it simpler: You have a route sheet that you follow, and a card. Along the way there are controls where you either get the card stamped or answer a question. The controls and info are to prove that you've completed the route when you send the card off for validation. This is only important if you intend to claim awards at the end of the year - you don't have to fill the card in and can ignore the speed limits if you wish. For your purposes it's a day out on the bike with other cyclists. If you find that you enjoy it and want to take it further, then it gets complex!
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      ... However last time I looked at it the distances were out of the question for me, now they're not :) ...
      82 km is only 55 miles; you'll be able to do it in your sleep. This is what I meant when I posted about keeping up the fitness - the imperial ton will be well within your grasp next year.
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      ... The 82KM one might be a goer for me, but do I need to be a club member or anything like that, or just turn up?
      As Kev says, no you don't have to be a member of a club, but, normally you have to enter a couple of weeks beforehand. If you're not a member of the CTC or British Cycling you'll probably need insurance which you can get through the entry form - it's around £1.50 for the event.

If you wish, I'll post a step by step with screenshots and links 'n stuff. However it'll have to be later as I need to go out now.
    • themightyw
      There was me thinking I'd done my challenge for the summer :lol:

I reckon I'm pretty much sold on the Forfar one. Wonder if it's significantly hillier than the Edi-St As.

Thanks for your patience explaining, Crapaud.
    • AMcD
      AMcD Posts: 236
      I too fancy the Forfar 100km Audax. More thanks for the info Crapaud - that would've been my next question :lol: . Think I'll check the route profile on Anquet maps before committing to it though :lol: .

Think I need another goal soon - would like to drop another 'dress size' by that date - it's our wedding anniversary on the 16th Aug so would like to be able to say I'm lighter than when I got married :D . And I know for sure it won't clash with any romantic plans of hubby's as he never has any :wink: .

Here's the link to some photos of the day - sorry, not many general ones that were in focus.

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv17 ... 20Andrews/
    • tyax
      Yep, this Audax malarkey does indeed look interesting... Is there any way to check out the hilliness of them beforehand? AMcD - I notice you mention Anquet maps... any chance of telling an idiot what they are?! :lol:

Also, and this is probably a foolish question, but do Audax rides start and finish at the same place? Obviously it makes the logistics a tad more awkward if they don't! :shock:

AMcD - they're good photos! Certainly better than mine, getting yourself in the pics is an especially good trick :lol:

Oh, and a Trek 1.2 has come up on Gumtree near me for reasonable-ish money. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to resist the lure... :evil:

Thanks again to all the randonneurs(!?) for the advice :D Is it just me or is this thread growing arms and legs? 8)
    • themightyw
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      Oh, and a Trek 1.2 has come up on Gumtree near me for reasonable-ish money. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to resist the lure... :evil:

Well mine's a Trek 1.5, which is pretty much the same bike, and I really enjoy riding mine. I know there are quite a few bikes in that class, and they're all much of a muchness, but you can't go wrong with it. Maybe see if you can take it for a spin to check the posture etc suits you.

After interest in from all of us lot I thought I'd email the organiser of the Forfar ride. Got a great reply:
      First, if you and your friend did the St Andrews ride in 4h40, you've no
      worries! If you've not done an audax before, then the Lethnot & Lunan would
      be a fine first ride. Have you seen the route-sheet on the AUK website?
      There's only one climb of note - after 23.5k up the first bit of Glen
      Lethnot. There are other "scenic" (audax speak for hilly) stretches after
      the Stracathro control and then leaving Montrose towards Lunan Bay.

It's really not an arduous route, and there are café stops at Stracathro
      (43k) and Carmyllie (86k). 100k audaxes tend not to attract hard-core
      riders,and this one won't because there's a 200k on at the same time, so the
      faster riders will be doing that.

Be assured, you certainly won't find it out of your league, neither will you
      be a hindrance. It wil be a much smaller field than the St Andrews ride -
      I'd guess maybe 15 - 20 riders. You'll probably find yourself teaming up
      with riders going at your pace early on and maybe decide to ride together
      all the way round.

I'm delighted you're planning to do an audax but, beware, they can become
      addictive. Have a look at the FAQ on the AUK website -
      http://www.aukweb.net/index2.htm . If you're not sure about anything,
      please feel free to get in touch again.

Really helpful response - I'm def going to sign up for this one now.
    • themightyw
      Oh, and AMCD - great photos!
    • AMcD
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      Yep, this Audax malarkey does indeed look interesting... Is there any way to check out the hilliness of them beforehand? AMcD - I notice you mention Anquet maps... any chance of telling an idiot what they are?! :lol:

Also, and this is probably a foolish question, but do Audax rides start and finish at the same place? Obviously it makes the logistics a tad more awkward if they don't! :shock:

AMcD - they're good photos! Certainly better than mine, getting yourself in the pics is an especially good trick :lol:

Thanks again to all the randonneurs(!?) for the advice :D Is it just me or is this thread growing arms and legs? 8)

Hi Tyax, Anquet maps is a CD Ordnance Survey map you can download. The one we bought covers from just above Manchester to John O'Groats. I think it was about £150 - not my idea, my husband's for his running, but I am using it much more than he is now!

It has two different scales you can choose from and you plot your route using a curser. When you've done this it will tell you the total miles or kms and will show you a profile of the route, and you can print it of course. It's great fun and very easy to use. I'm sure it has other features but I've not used them all yet. The ONLY thing I don't like is that you can't tell the total mileage until you've finished plotting a route, and if not correct you then have to restart your route to get it to fit the mileage you want.I haven't found a way of 'tweaking' a route without starting again from scratch. Also, it shows you the gradient by a simple 'up and down' graph, and doesn't tell you % gradients, not that I have worked % gradients out yet :lol: .

As for Audax starting and finishing in the same place, good question! Hadn't thought of that.

And I was going to say I am not in any of the photos and that the fat bird on the blue Thorn isn't me but then, of course, you've met me :lol: .
    • tyax
      edited June 2009
      themightyw wrote:
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      Well mine's a Trek 1.5, which is pretty much the same bike, and I really enjoy riding mine. I know there are quite a few bikes in that class, and they're all much of a muchness, but you can't go wrong with it. Maybe see if you can take it for a spin to check the posture etc suits you.
      Funnily enough I was just looking back over this thread at your 1.5 for your input as I figured it was similar, if higher end than the 1.2! :shock: I think I'm gonna give the guy a ping and have a go. My biggest worry by far is that I'll have too much weight on my wrists, and the steerer will have been cut down too much to raise the bars... but will give it a bash :D
      themightyw wrote:
      After interest in from all of us lot I thought I'd email the organiser of the Forfar ride. Got a great reply:
      Excellent reply from Audax person!
      That genuinely is a great response, and hugely encouraging regarding the climbs! If I can just figure out where the start/finish is I'll definitely enter it 8)

EDIT: Just noticed you replied while I was typing AMcD! Thanks for the info regarding the maps, I really like the idea of the profiles being available... may have to invest in something like that myself :D
    • themightyw
      edited June 2009
      A great free alternative is http://www.mapmyride.com/

I use this all the time do plan runs / cycles and download the maps to my Edge 705. Great site - the elevation is broadly right, but probably not anything like as accurate as AMCD's uber CD thingy.
    • themightyw
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      If I can just figure out where the start/finish is I'll definitely enter it 8)

Here you go mate:
      http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Le ... unan-Audax

Given the flurry of posts, is this everyone's PC time, then? :lol:
    • AMcD
      themightyw wrote:

First, if you and your friend did the St Andrews ride in 4h40, you've no
      worries! If you've not done an audax before, then the Lethnot & Lunan would
      be a fine first ride. Have you seen the route-sheet on the AUK website?
      There's only one climb of note - after 23.5k up the first bit of Glen
      Lethnot. There are other "scenic" (audax speak for hilly) stretches after
      the Stracathro control and then leaving Montrose towards Lunan Bay.

It's really not an arduous route, and there are café stops at Stracathro
      (43k) and Carmyllie (86k). 100k audaxes tend not to attract hard-core
      riders,and this one won't because there's a 200k on at the same time, so the
      faster riders will be doing that.

Be assured, you certainly won't find it out of your league, neither will you
      be a hindrance. It wil be a much smaller field than the St Andrews ride -
      I'd guess maybe 15 - 20 riders. You'll probably find yourself teaming up
      with riders going at your pace early on and maybe decide to ride together
      all the way round.

I'm delighted you're planning to do an audax but, beware, they can become
      addictive. Have a look at the FAQ on the AUK website -
      http://www.aukweb.net/index2.htm . If you're not sure about anything,
      please feel free to get in touch again.

Good idea firing off an email MightyW. I wonder if someone doing 5hr 58 would not be a hindrance either :? or iwould I be taking the mickey :lol: . I think I'd feel a bit exposed with only 15-20 riders (plus us lot of course :lol: ). Wonder if the 200km riders do the same route twice? I like the warning about them being addictive :wink: . Wonder if you are allowed panniers, or would that be seen as a bit too much? I also think you have to have mudguards fitted, but perhaps I've made that up. Can't think where I would have read that, other than in Cycling Plus :o .
    • tyax
      themightyw wrote:
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      If I can just figure out where the start/finish is I'll definitely enter it 8)
      Here you go mate:
      http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Le ... unan-Audax
      Many thanks, that's brilliant. Must learn to Bikely :D That looks distinctly like my favourite kind of route, a big, dirty, sweeping loop never using the same road twice 8)
      themightyw wrote:
      Given the flurry of posts, is this everyone's PC time, then? :lol:
      :lol: I noticed this too, everyone's posting simultaneously... STOP FOR BREATH PEOPLE!! :lol: I just happened to be online, normally 8AM's my PC time - breakfast time at work :roll: :D

EDIT:
      AMcD wrote:
      Good idea firing off an email MightyW. I wonder if someone doing 5hr 58 would not be a hindrance either :? or iwould I be taking the mickey :lol: . I think I'd feel a bit exposed with only 15-20 riders (plus us lot of course :lol: ). Wonder if the 200km riders do the same route twice? I like the warning about them being addictive :wink: . Wonder if you are allowed panniers, or would that be seen as a bit too much? I also think you have to have mudguards fitted, but perhaps I've made that up. Can't think where I would have read that, other than in Cycling Plus :o .
      I doubt you'd be a hindrance at all, I say go for it! I can't see us not being allowed panniers, if you've to be self-sufficient? Also the Audax website says you don't need mudguards unless it specifically says so :D
    • themightyw
      Another reply from the Nice Audax Chap... Hope he doesn't mind me copying it here.
      Ha, no need to apologise! I had a quick look on Bikeradar. It's brilliant
      that there are a lot of new people interested in Audax. I noticed that my
      chum mercurykev is on there. I waste enough time on YACF, so I don't do any
      other forums. It's a shame you guys didn't come up for the Kirriemuir
      weekend, there was a goodly contingent of new riders from Embra doing the
      100k Potter for Tea and the 160 k Mearns Meander I organised as part of a
      weekend of events.

I'm happy to answer anyone else's questions but, just to be clear, it's
      actually a clubmate of mine, Dave Husband who is organising the rides in
      August. I think I was given as a sort of general contact for all the audax
      rides our club was organsing this summer. dave's contact details are on the
      AUK website under the Calendar entry for the event.

I don't know if it was addressed on your forum, but the time limits are
      generous: the minimum speed is 15kph (Kph, not Mph) so the time limit for
      this 100k is 6h 40m.

Old joke: What's the difference between a sportive and an audax?
      A sportive is for people who like to pretend they are racing.
      An audax is for people who like to pretend they are not racing.

Sounds like audaxes are the way forward!
    • screebs
      edited June 2009
      Count me In for the audax as well - the noobie cycling club will be out in force! I hope you don't need mudguards as I don't have any!

Tyaxnoob/amcd - we're in this together now!

When I get a response from Ros at Lepra on the date for the Edi-StA next year I will post it on here - I think it might clash with the trossachs ton (20 June 2010) which could make it onto my target list for next summer!
    • AMcD
      screebs wrote:
      Tyaxnoob/amcd - we're in this together now!

Gulp :roll: . Better get out tomorrow then; at my present speed I've only got a 42 min cushion on the 6hr 40 limit :D:D . I can see this Audaxing getting addictive - already been on their site and would like to see my name in print with my first Brevet 500 :lol: .

The Bikely map thing is great - the elevation profile is simpler than mine but easier to print off (as mine scrolls over a few pages) and you could keep it on your handlebars for reference.

The only problem I can see with the Forfar Audax is (a) not being allowed a back up car :D and (b) not knowing the route in advance :? . I think I might've been demoralised at Freuchie hill and walked if I had not known the route beforehand. Still, I'll be that much fitter by August........ :wink:
    • Noodley
      Noodley Posts: 1,725
      Hope you don't mind me joining in the discussion.

The Lethnot and Lunan route is a great introduction to audax and takes in glens and coastal scenery. It's likely I'll be there or thereabouts this year (I may enter the 200 on the same day as it's such a great 200 and I've not done a 200 this year).

As Alex said in his reply to the e-mails there are a few climbs, but nothing which will cause you any real problems if you got round the Edin-St Andrews route.

If I do ride the Lethnot and Lunan I'll make sure to introduce myself and stick with you if you are unsure of the route - it's not a race :wink: But if you feel the need to go a wee bit faster just let me know :lol:
    • themightyw
      Noodley wrote:
      Hope you don't mind me joining in the discussion.

The Lethnot and Lunan route is a great introduction to audax and takes in glens and coastal scenery. It's likely I'll be there or thereabouts this year (I may enter the 200 on the same day as it's such a great 200 and I've not done a 200 this year).

As Alex said in his reply to the e-mails there are a few climbs, but nothing which will cause you any real problems if you got round the Edin-St Andrews route.

If I do ride the Lethnot and Lunan I'll make sure to introduce myself and stick with you if you are unsure of the route - it's not a race :wink: But if you feel the need to go a wee bit faster just let me know :lol:

Thanks for joining in! So would you consider it an easier course than the Edi-St A all told? It sounds great to me, but I was thinking of switching back to running training for the second half of the summer as there are a couple of nearby 10ks I had in mind. If it's slightly more challenging than the Edi-St As though I'll stick to cycling on the few evenings I get to go out as I need all the practice I can get :oops:
    • screebs
      Noodley - we are certainly not into racing, hence the attraction of this event. We're all new to cycling as you'll see from the history of this thread. Happy for input and thanks for taking an interest! 8)

And we might see you on the day if you decide to chill on the 100 rather than the 200. :lol:
    • Crapaud
      AMcD wrote:
      I too fancy the Forfar 100km Audax. More thanks for the info Crapaud - that would've been my next question :lol: . Think I'll check the route profile on Anquet maps before committing to it though :lol: . ...
      If you use the Bikely link ('Route' on page 11), go to the top left hand corner and click on 'show' then select 'elevation profile' it'll give you an idea.
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      Also, and this is probably a foolish question, but do Audax rides start and finish at the same place? Obviously it makes the logistics a tad more awkward if they don't!
      In my experience, yes.
      themightyw wrote:
      Dave Husband's a great guy. He'll look after you. In fact all the Forfar regulars are a great bunch.
      tyaxnoob wrote:
      Thanks for the info regarding the maps, I really like the idea of the profiles being available... may have to invest in something like that myself
      Bikely's free, you just have to register. There are other on-line mapping sites such as mapmyride, bikeroutetoaster etc. which are also free.
      AMcD wrote:
      ... Wonder if you are allowed panniers, or would that be seen as a bit too much? I also think you have to have mudguards fitted, but perhaps I've made that up. ...
      No-one'll bat an eyelid at panniers and mudguards are optiional on most audaxes these days, unless specified.

I just checked before posting and much of the above is now superfluous.

[Boris Karloff} I've created a monster![/Boris Carloff]

It might be worth creating a new thread. This thread's title is now very misleading.