I will never be ordering off of parker international again.

whydoesitalwaysrainonme
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Originally i ordered a mavic open pro/ tiagra hub/ 36h front wheel and a mavic open pro/ 105 hub/ 36h rear wheel off of parker international, i also paid for the 'next day delivery', my order did not come the next day, neither did it come the day after that. I got phoned up on the day AFTER the wheel should have arrived saying that if i wanted a wheel i would have to pay an extra £10 for the one with a shimano 105 hubs, which is ridiculous really as i think they should have covered that charge as it was their error.
Anyway on to the main problem, the rear wheels sidewall blew off when the tyre was at about 80psi and i had to send the wheel back so i sent it back with parker telling me that they will cover the charges for the damaged innertube and the rim tape which was made redundant, so i got the wheel back and they had sent me the wrong sized innertube as they did not ask which size i needed and also they had simply re-stuck the old rim tape and it did not stay on the new rim. I then noticed that the spokes were really loose on the wheel they had just sent me, i had an hour and a half until i was due to go on a 5 hour ride with a friend, i did not have enough time to email parker and wait for a reply, so i ran it down to the LBS and they told me that they would have it done withing an hour. So i went on the ride and all fine. I later emailed parker and they told me they will not be covering the charge even though i have offered to either email them a picture of the receipt or post it to them, frankly i think this is pathetic from such a big bike shop, as this is money that has come out of MY pocket for THEIR error. anoybody else had any bad experiences with parker?......
glad i got that off my chest lol, also apologies for the long windedness of this post.
Ribble Gran Fondo
Focus Black Hills
Raleigh Chopper

Comments

• Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    anoybody else had any bad experiences with parker?......

Does'nt sound too good that one :cry: - IME they've always been ok-enough - (they're slower to deliver than CRC or Wiggle though). CRC are the "best" IME.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Originally i ordered a mavic open pro/ tiagra hub/ 36h front wheel and a mavic open pro/ 105 hub/ 36h rear wheel off of parker international, i also paid for the 'next day delivery', my order did not come the next day,

Perhaps you should have read the page properly?
    As hand built wheels are built to order please allow extra time for delivery.

Personally I wouldn't have expected them next day.

Parkers have always been fine for me. They do need to get with the times though and show stock on the site.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Shame, I have always had a good service from Parkers.
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    They have always done very well by me.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    If anything this makes me want to shop at parker more.
  • Infamous wrote:
    If anything this makes me want to shop at parker more.
    The fact that they won't cover the charges for repairs makes you want to shop at parker more?.....ok
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • Infamous
    The fact they don't suffer fools. The fact they tried to get you a wheel quickly because you needed one quickly (after thinking you were going to get a hand built wheelset the next day :lol: ). The fact they replaced your wheel after a puncture.

Of course they won't pay for you to have your wheel trued, you have messed them about all over the place.

My kind of shop.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Infamous wrote:
    The fact they don't suffer fools. The fact they tried to get you a wheel quickly because you needed one quickly (after thinking you were going to get a hand built wheelset the next day :lol: ). The fact they replaced your wheel after a puncture.

Of course they won't pay for you to have your wheel trued, you have messed them about all over the place.

My kind of shop.
    ]
    +1
  • N4PALM
    N4PALM Posts: 240
    I'm with everyone else on this one. Parker get my thumbsup.

Agreed with Red tho, Parker do need to have current stock data on their site.
  • N4PALM wrote:
    Agreed with Red tho, Parker do need to have current stock data on their site.
    Yep. I won't buy online from anywhere that doesn't have a live stock status anymore.
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Ah but some sellers tell lies, I ordered a rain jacket form Winstanleys that clearly said on its site was in stock, cool I thought so paid me moneys and waited. 3 days after the order was put in I got an email saying it was out of stock......... same thing happened with Ribble last year when I ordered some bibshorts.... grrr
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I ordered a GP4000 tyre from Parker, went for the free post option, it arrived 2 days later and recorded delivery.
  • Infamous wrote:

My kind of shop.
    I didn't mess them around, they sent me a wheel that broke (sidewall ripped off) when i pumped the tyre up to 80psi which is by far not the maximum tyre pressure, and i struggle to believe that if that happened to your brand new rim under 80psi that you would not send it back. and i acknowledge that it is not their fault for that problem. But the fact that they sent me a wheel where the spokes were not done up properly and would not cover the charges for THEIR and let me repeat THEIR mistake is appauling, infact they are actually losing out on business, as i was looking for a new racing bike, and am actually looking in the 2-3K market (and no i'm not making that up) and maybe even a pair of racing wheels.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Parkers have been perfectly fine with me, if in doubt a quick call will tell you whether they have stock or not.

I have got some fantastic bargains from Parkers, and have always had things delivered within 48 hours, if I want something the next it will be the LBS and pay the extra.
  • nicensleazy
    I have just sent a pair of Castelli Rosso Corsa gloves back to Parker under warranty, they have replaced with no hassel!

Great service at Parkers !
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    You can't expect them to foot the bill if you didn't give them chance to rectify it themselves, regardless of whether the spokes were loose.

If you bought a new Ford, but one of the rims was damaged, would you take it to BMW for new wheels and expect Ford to pay for them?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • No, all i wanted was for them to cover the charges for their error, simple.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    No, all i wanted was for them to cover the charges for their error, simple.

But without giving them chance to sort it themselves? If it's that much of an issue, you should have foregone the ride and sent the wheel back.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • nicensleazy
    Get in contact with Angie Luckhurst, she is one of the MD's at Parker International. She's a lovely lady and I'm sure all can be resolved!
  • martinwitnam
    martinwitnam Posts: 439
    I don't quite understand why if the sidewall of your tyre (faulty tyre problem?) blew out then why would you need to send the whole wheel back?

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • It wasn't the sidewall of the tyre it was the sidewall (or braking surface as some people call it) of the rim.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • martinwitnam
    OMG. I've had a tube blow out the side of a tyre in a very confined space (God that hurt my ears) but never the side of a wheel. Must have scared it out of you. Must change my profile to Aylesham.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • i could hear ringing in my ears for the next 3-4 days because i pumped the rear tyre up, i then was pumping the front tyre with my head right next to the rear wheel....ouch!
    Martin do you ride for VCDeal? just asking because you live in the surrounding area so thought you might.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • martinwitnam
    Yes indeedy. I'm not very fast though!

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • I'm not too fast at the moment either, i've had bike mechanical issues (mainly wheels) the last few months, and i didn't have much of a winter. Do you want to go for a ride sometime?
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • Infamous
    Maybe there was a kink in the tube, which exploded damaging the rim. This can happen.
  • Pics uploaded, i'm sure an inner tube couldn't do this much damage
    BrokenWheel2.jpg
    BrokenWheel.jpg
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • Infamous
    well an innertube caused this:

3055815210_907ccd452d.jpg
    (on a 40mm deep alu rim)
    sounds like the same thing happened.
  • OMFG!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: wow! i didn't know that could happen
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • Infamous
    It's something to do with the tube getting between the rim and the wire bead. Looking at your picture, that's a possibility.