Trans Pennine Trail

Furkuk
Furkuk Posts: 71
edited July 2009 in Routes
Doesn't time fly. I only started cycling in January 2009, Lost plenty of weight and feel a lot fitter so this Saturday my son and I and going to do the Trans Pennine Trail from Southport to Hornsea. Hoping to do it in 4 days. :D

The weather is looking good so should be fun, if not painful :shock:
Now the owner of a GT Aggressor XC 3

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Good luck! We did it last year, and the wind on the first day (Southport to Stockport) was nice but VERY windy, I can recommend the Ferry Tavern as a nice place to grab a bite to eat and a drink (good selection of whiskey!) Second day, (Stockport to Penistone) was wet and windy, going up the Woodhead pass was a feat in that weahter, got to the top where you cross the road and couldn't see more than 10 yards in the low cloud/ fog... Good night in a pub there!
    3rd day saw us going to Selby, stopped in a bar all night, just been taken over by a rather nice young lady... Not much in Selby, but the ride along the Grand Junction canal was raelly nice.
    Last day saw us heading to Hornsea, seeing the Humber bridge in the distance, and getting closer... got a bit lost in Hull, some signs missing in places... Hornsea, a pint of Tetley's cask has never tasted so good! and the second, third, fourth....
    People we met, drank with and burbled on to made it a great thing to do!
    Hope you enjoy it as much as we did! :D
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Furkuk
    Well that's the end of day 1. Caught the train to Southport then rode home. Just on 50 miles. Warmer than I expected. Had a really good day. Can't wait until tomorrow morning. :D
  • ratty2k
    Better riding once you get to the Pennines, just hope you get better views than we did!_ Forecast loos to be improving for you as well! :)
    My Pics !

• LAW4778
    LAW4778 Posts: 232
    Hi guys can i ask what the script is when you do this ride, ie its 4 days do have to carry a massive rucksak with all your stuff in (what do you carry for the 4 days), where do you sleep on a night do you book into a b&b, do you have these prebooked and that is your target for the day, what i ve read it the ride sounds great something like 250 miles with literally no public roads sounds great.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)
  • ratty2k
    I pre booked all our stop overs, the Old Rectory in Stockport they allowed storage of bikes in another locked room. In Pennistone, the Old Crown IIRC- little shabby but clean and tidy and had a good laugh in there with the barmaid and her mate and lots of beer. Then onto Selby and a lovely guesthouse Hazeldean IIRC Stopped in a bar called Cochranes again IIRC... Lovely lass owned the place, only 3 of us in there all night- hope it picked up for her as it wouldn't be able to keep going. Then onto Hornsea, we stayed at a place on the front largish place that I cant rememberthe name of. But I wont recommend it, and would say get in a guesthouse. Taxi (minibus) back to Hull and the train back...
    Carry lightweight (ish) stuff, a tee shirt can be worn all day, a change at night and then wear that one again the following day- and rrpeat... Shoes, only cycling shoes needed during the day, and a pair of trainers at night, light pants for thee evenings.. Not too much stuff really. I had 2 25 ltr panniers and a bar bag of 5 ltrs for odds and sods- wallet, phone etc...
    My Pics !

• Furkuk
    We did it! :D
    Took us 4 days to complete the full trip :D
    1st day was from Southport to home at Warrington
    2nd day was from home to Padfield where we stopped in a lovely farmhouse B&B
    3rd day was from Padfield to Pollington where we stopped in a Pub.
    4th Day was from Pollington to Hornsea where we ended up in a hotel overlooking the sea.
    Hadn't booked anything before we set off.
    Only has a small amount of luggage, if it didn't fit in the bags on the rack then it didn't go. Didn't want to carry a rucksac.
    Fantastic adventure. Hard but well worth it. The weather was kind to us. Not to hot and no rain :D
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    congrats mate. we are doing it..... again! at the end of august. myself and a couple of shop regulars are wardens on the trail and its encouraging to see lots of people enjoying it.

next year we are hoping to do a hornsea-southport -hornsea for charity, giving more peple chance to do either way or both.

dont forget to get your certificate! :D
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Furkuk wrote:
    We did it! :D
    Took us 4 days to complete the full trip :D
    1st day was from Southport to home at Warrington
    2nd day was from home to Padfield where we stopped in a lovely farmhouse B&B
    3rd day was from Padfield to Pollington where we stopped in a Pub.
    4th Day was from Pollington to Hornsea where we ended up in a hotel overlooking the sea.
    Hadn't booked anything before we set off.
    Only has a small amount of luggage, if it didn't fit in the bags on the rack then it didn't go. Didn't want to carry a rucksac.
    Fantastic adventure. Hard but well worth it. The weather was kind to us. Not to hot and no rain :D

Well done Furkuk, and in such a short space of time since you started riding.

We did it in 3 days a few years ago.

If you can stay in the saddle for 7 hours or so, have a look at this:

http://www.rpmrt.org.uk/eventdetail.php?EventID=5

Good luck
  • Furkuk
    Certificate, T shirt and badge arrived today :D