Does L'Alp D'Huez exist in the Peaks?

Well no it doesnt before someone jumps in :)

I am toying with the idea of going to the Alps with some friends later in the year
Most of my riding is on the flat and what Id like is to find something that runs at 7-8% just so I can see what Id be up against

I have good access to the Peaks so this is an obvious place to look

I know Im not going to find 15km at 8% but something a few hundred metres would give me a feel
I have ridden the Snake Pass several times comfortably but suspect thats a bit less harsh

Where then if anywhere is there a nice run at 7-8% elevation I can go and flex my muscles on?

Many thanks

Comments

• Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    What about Holme Moss? I've only ridden it once so I don't remember it very well, but it's certainly a decent length climb and not stupidly steep.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    21 mile & 2400 feet of climb

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=10471

oops some of it NOT just @ 8%
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    holme moss is more like 10>15% going up from woodhead, the cat and fiddle is probably closer with 3/4 miles at around 6>8%, or the snake like you said.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    JGSI wrote:
    21 mile & 2400 feet of climb

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=10471

oops some of it NOT just @ 8%

Did you avoid the tougher climbs on purpose? :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I reckon 8% average is pretty steep - certainly steeper than the C&F or Snake. Holme Moss is probably more like it but from your name maybe not that local to you. What about doing a few times up Mow Cop ? Or if you aren't too far there is some steep stuff round the Manifold Valley, Dovedale etc or futher afield over to Winnats and Mam Nick (?)

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Don't worry Staff_Mick, in general the Alps aren't steep just long and a bit twattish (but in a very good way). Snake Pass, Cat & Fiddle are the kind of gradient you might expect. The air gets thinner as you climb, can't really replicate that here.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    a_n_t wrote:
    Did you avoid the tougher climbs on purpose? :wink:

You are spot on.. I am not a fan at all of silly gradients
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    What about doing a few times up Mow Cop ?

The challenge of The Alps is the length. The necessary descending of a repeat climb as suggested gives you recovery time that you just don't get on Alpine climbs.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I was just giving him what he asked for - Alpe D'Huez gradients and 8% average - sure if he wants long gradual climbs then C&F and Snake Pass are fine, neither will average anything like 8%

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    I live near holme moss (also think about the Cragg Vale climb out of Mytholmroyd). I was in the Alps in September and did quite a few cols. It is nothing like as steep as the climbs in the Peak district (the Snake is probably about the right gradient for the Alps, though I haven't done Apl d' Huez). As somebody says, the issue is not steepness, but the fact that they go on and on for ever: it just becomes a grind

Perhaps the best practice in your area would be the Cat and fiddle (swiftly followed by Axe Edge). The trick is not climbing so much as building up your stamina to keep on churning the gears. Long distances with plenty of climbs...