F1 teams to set up rival series- Resolved - Page 2

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited June 2009 in The Crudcatcher
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 108488.stm
Formula One has been thrown into chaos after the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) carried out its threat to set up a rival championship in 2010.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    Hooray, spanky and the poison dwarf are dead, good riddance to bad rubbish.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hmmm. I think we need to define what 'Formula 1' actually means. To me is the pinnacle of engineering, technology and yes, money. If you can't keep up, do F3000 ;-)
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    exactly F1 is about top of the range not what can we build in a shed on a budget.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,890
    Agree. It is also about decent race tracks that are there becuase they hold classic, decent racing. Not because the government has bought the rights to hold a GP
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I could see the same happen in football if they try to impose financial caps on that too
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    This sounds like a bluff to me, watch the FIA back down
  • This sounds like a bluff to me, watch the FIA back down
    It's typical posturing. A bit like two kids in a playground.
    Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
    Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
    Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
    Current BMR: 2095 Calories
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    the FIA will have to back down from this one.

I think a budget cap is a nice idea but the limit they have come up with is far too low.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    edited June 2009
    Dav1 wrote:
    the FIA will have to back down from this one.

I think a budget cap is a nice idea but the limit they have come up with is far too low.

I just hated the idea of being able to go over it if you accepted a penalty. Either have a budget cap or don't, forget all the other nonsense!
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    They either back down or it ends in Tears.....!

I know which one I'll watch.......

F1 in 2010 could well be lining up on ITV4 along with GP2..... :roll:
    It's been a while...
  • MeddlE
    There will be a lot of TV companies around the world checking the small print of the expensive broadcasting rights contracts they have. They wont want to pay for and show a second rate series with a bunch of no-name teams and drivers.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    MeddlE wrote:
    There will be a lot of TV companies around the world checking the small print of the expensive broadcasting rights contracts they have. They wont want to pay for and show a second rate series with a bunch of no-name teams and drivers.

I don't think it will get to that stage. Like others have said it's just sabre-rattling and posturing. The FIA will back down. Mosely will retire soon, and all will be back to normal....

..... ooooh, just watching Sky news. They say the FIA are sueing all the teams!

I don't think the Formula one teams association would be able to organise a full championship in about 9 months. Far too much to organise. And I don't think the FIA will allow them to use existing GP tracks.

Hope it all sorts its self out...couldnt bear life without F1 :cry:

Let's just all enjoy this weeks racing! Hope Jenson can keep up the good work, but am also secretly hoping Toyota win...We might get a mug or keyring at work :wink:
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Si78 wrote:
    Let's just all enjoy this weeks racing! Hope Jenson can keep up the good work, but am also secretly hoping Toyota win...We might get a mug or keyring at work :wink:

Mate of mine got a £1500 bonus when Jenson won his first race, not a bad deal! Unfortunately he left Honda around Christmas when (understandably) his job was looking a bit shakey!
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Si78
    Si78 wrote:

Mate of mine got a £1500 bonus when Jenson won his first race, not a bad deal! Unfortunately he left Honda around Christmas when (understandably) his job was looking a bit shakey!

Not a bad bonus at all! Would love to work for an F1 team.
    We wouldn't get anything like that :cry:

We have had a Toyota F1 car in the atrium at the front of the factory, but seeing as we have had our wages cut by 10%, no over-time and various other cost cutting measures I would think I was lucky if I got the aformentioned mug and keyring!

I got presented with a 'prestigeous' safety award at work the other day, was for a tool I had designed and made. Enables a part of the die to be removed safely, quickly and without damaging the team member,die or machine.

Was looking forward to getting a cash reward...Got a mug and keyring lol :roll:
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    My best bud used to be a tech in the RAF, he got out now is a Tech for the Red Bull F1 team, his bonus for the race they won was nice and the one he's going to get for end of season team position is looking to be a possible 5 figures. Now thats a bonus!
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Si78
    My best bud used to be a tech in the RAF, he got out now is a Tech for the Red Bull F1 team, his bonus for the race they won was nice and the one he's going to get for end of season team position is looking to be a possible 5 figures. Now thats a bonus!

niiiiiiiice 8)
    Wish I'd been able to go to uni and become an F1 engineer or something...Oh well, as is life :cry: lol
  • Si78

Hmmmm...If Red Bull pull out of F1 with the other 'Breakaway' teams, I reckon all their points for this year will be scrubbed! = No bonus! (maybe lol)

Gonna be Williams winning the championship, with Force India 2nd lol
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    I'm trying to get the inside scoop from him. I wouldn't have thought the teams would pull out until the end of the season though?
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • Si78
    I'm trying to get the inside scoop from him. I wouldn't have thought the teams would pull out until the end of the season though?

Yeah but the FIA aint gonna let 'a disenting team' win the championship are they? Let them wander off to another series with millions of £ prize money?

The teams are all in breech of the concorde agreement too I think, and the FIA can be very bitter and draconian.

If the teams go through with their threat I reckon the FIA will disqualify them all from this years championship. Maybe lol :wink:
  • MeddlE
    There is no current Concorde agreement, that's part of the problem.
  • Si78
    MeddlE wrote:
    There is no current Concorde agreement, that's part of the problem.

True, I thought they were running on an extension of the last one. My mistake.

But seeing as they all signed up for next season (on 29th May?), they are certainly breaching contracts. Don't think Bernie will let that pass!
  • MeddlE
    They conditionally signed up, those conditions have not been met, therefor no contract.
  • Si78
    MeddlE wrote:
    They conditionally signed up, those conditions have not been met, therefor no contract.

Well, I bow down to your superior knowledge.
    Guess we will see what happens when the 2010 entry list is announced tomorrow (well, later on today actually...)
  • TBH... good on the teams.

F1 used to be limited rules and more about the cars and drivers. Now its "politics", rules and regulations.
    BRING BACK THE V10 TWIN TURBO's!!

The sooner that Mosely and that annoying little midget Ecclestone have gone the better. They seem to want to change the image of F1 into something that it should never and will never be.

I'd much rather watch a race with less strict limitations on engines/weight/money.... isn't that was F1 was all about anyways?! As long as they keep the safety aspect very high, I don't see why anything should be changed.

Even "back in the day" teams joined F1 while others dropped out - because of the cost.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    I used to watch F1 religiously, but to be honest I've got so bored of it.. Lost interest when it went to ITV, could not stand adverts.
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • MeddlE
    So spanky will not stand for re-election, where have we heard that before?

Lost opportunity, wont do the teams any favours as they had got the fans hopes up of finally getting rid of the gruesome twosome. Would have been nice to get some of the proper tracks back too.
  • BBC wrote:
    Max Mosley has agreed not to stand for re-election as president of the FIA.

Should be:
    Max Mosley and Berni Ecclestone have agreed not to take any part in what goes on with regards to F1.....ever.