Did you join the closest cycling club to you?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
Hi,

Im interested in joining a cycling club and there are 2 im thinking of, one is approx 10 miles from my home, the other is approx 20 miles.

At present its 70 / 30 in favour of the one that is 20 odd miles away, and I was considering driving there with the bike in the boot and then going on the club run because im still new to this sport and riding 40 odd miles there and back, plus 50 odd miles on the club run would kill me.....

Does anyone travel far to a club run or do people generally join the closest club to them?
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    I am spoilt for choice in south london and joined one 8 miles away when there are a few closer. I knew some of the people there already and the 16 extra miles is a good thing
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    My club is about 20 miles away, the nearer one was pretty much exclusively a TT club at the time. I tend to ride out to the club runs and then pull off on the way back as they pass my town (or in that general direction).
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    FWIW my club is based about 25 miles away from where I live. (When I changed jobs and moved house I stayed in the same club.) There have been times when I've regularly ridden across to join the club run, but I don't do it in mid winter because it would mean setting off in the dark. The extra mileage isn't really an issue once you're used to it if you have the time and the desire to do it. I don't do it these days except in the autumn because the clubrun is not ideal for my training.

The worst thing about being a long way from the club is that it means all other club activities are a long way away too. I can't really justify lots of round trips of 60 miles in the car for weekly club nights, social occasions, committee meetings, club events etc etc. All in all I don't see many of my clubmates very often, which is a big shame. I wouldn't choose a club that was such a long way away if I was going to join a new one.

Ruth
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I originally joined the closest club but didn't suit the type of riding they do (mostly hills). I still do their TTs though.

When looking for a new club (after moving to a new town) - I shopped around a bit. Went for rides with a few before settling on one - and it wasn't the closest one. Went with the club that I felt would suit me best, even if I have to travel further to ride with them.
  • i'm still freshmeat on here, so go easy. Is there a list of local clubs, or clubs posters are involved available on here somewhere?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    i'm still freshmeat on here, so go easy. Is there a list of local clubs, or clubs posters are involved available on here somewhere?

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... finder.asp
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    I joined my closest one 10 miles away. Also happens to be the best CC in the world imo.
    Shazam !!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I drive nearly 20 miles for my club runs but its worth it, the clubs much bigger than my local one and has better/longer club rides so it got my vote. One downside came up this sunday we went on a ride to a seaside resort only 4 miles from my house alonf roads that I train on through the week and to cap it off we came home on a road that passed only 1/4 mile from my front door! In answer to your post Gavin go for the club that suits your riding needs best, if that means 20 miles of driving it will be worthit in the long run.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Join the one with the fittest birds, you can't beat eye candy on a club run :wink:
  • matterai
    matterai Posts: 176
    I joined the one nearest to where I live (about 2 miles away) for convenience and because my father and grandfather used to belong to it.

Have only just joined so I will see how I get on there.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Homer J wrote:
    Join the one with the fittest birds, you can't beat eye candy on a club run :wink:

too right... but I would never never never drive to a club run... that is bad form