MTBing on Skye

passout
passout Posts: 4,425
edited July 2009 in Routes
Any body know any decent MTB routes on Skye? I'm staying on the Toternish peninsular in July '09. I'll be riding alone and would call myself a reasonably fit trail rider. Any guidance welcomed. Cheers.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Comments

• Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    A riding buddy of mine spent easter up there.

There's lots of single track and some stunnign views, I think an OS map is your best bet
  • passout
    Thanks Steve. Yes, I just ordered my OS Maps and found a few websites. Haven't found anything on this peninsula though. Anybody know it?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    passout wrote:
    Any body know any decent MTB routes on Skye? I'm staying on the Toternish peninsular in July '09. I'll be riding alone and would call myself a reasonably fit trail rider. Any guidance welcomed. Cheers.
    Route and drawn map here:
    http://www.skyeactivities.co.uk/Mountain%20Biking.htm
  • passout
    ibbo68 wrote:
    passout wrote:
    Route and drawn map here:
    http://www.skyeactivities.co.uk/Mountain%20Biking.htm

Thanks but the Trotternish route there seems to me 'on road' - it'd a rather misleading as some of the other routes are off road.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Quirang Basin.

I've got a routemap somewhere, I'll dig it out...
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • passout
    Please do dave - cheers
  • cruthers
    cruthers Posts: 5
    Hi,
    im up in Skye for first 2 weeks of July visting family near Dunvegan. I always take my bike and do some cycling. on and off road. Would be happy to meet up if you like for a day? Could work out a good route to do.

Let me know if your interested. My email is: richardacarruthers@gmail.com.

im not exactly a hardcore rider, but am fit and enjoy trails and anything a bit challenging.

Rich
  • passout
    Hi Rich

Have E-mailed you. PM me if it doesn't come through.

Cheers.
  • fwb2006
    fwb2006 Posts: 212
    Passout, I've just got back, use that walkinghighlands website I sent you. I think the one I enjoyed the most was http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/mac ... dens.shtml

Here area a few of pics of it.

P1010036.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010039.jpg

Have a good one, we did, ps, stayed at the campsite Kinloch, really good.
  • passout
    That's great - nice pics.

Cheers.
  • BertieBob
    BertieBob Posts: 1
    In Uig on the west side of Trotternish there's a couple of routes you could try (walked them, never rode then I'm afraid, as only got into MTB four months ago and moved away from Skye last February.

One is a hell of a climb up the road opposite the Post Office and up through Glen Conon, continuing past the final croft at the end of the road, or go up the 'Fairy Glen' on the left just up the hill from the Uig hotel (signposted Sheader). It's road for a fair way, but does turn to track further on and you can continue as far as the Trotternish Ridge (and carry along all of that too if you wish!!).

You could try and do the route through the Quirang, but there are a couple of stiles and some narrow spots where walking has its hairy moments!

If you head up to Kilmuir and turn right at the village hall, about 1/2 a mile up park in the gateway on the sharp left hand bend and there's a circular route that will take you out towards Loch Sneosdal. It can get a bit boggy, mind you...

Glen Brittle forest may work or perhaps try Glen Sligachan.
  • passout
    I've now got too many routes! (Joking)

Cheers Bob - I noticed the trail past the fairy glen on the OS map - looks alright. Definately doing the Quirang either walking or MTB'ing - maybe both.

I was in Aviemore for my last summer holiday - some great cycling around there - the R....something...estate singletrack was great.
  • fwb2006
    That'll be Rothiemurcas Estate, if your there again head into Bothy Bikes and buy a set of their maps, top drawer they are.

I want to go back to Skye but with mates rather than my misses, she didn't like the riding around there, too much.
  • passout
    I did get the maps from Bothy bikes - some really nice routes. Loved it.
  • passout
    Just back from my hols did the silagchlan loop and idrill point (excuse spelling) - great routes. Met up with Richard which was a pleasure.

Thanks for your input everyone.
  • fwb2006
    Nice one, up some pics dude.. We enjoyed it so much we are looking heading back again in a couple of weeks.