Cassette cleaning

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Hello Boys and Girls,

My cassette's full of crud. Is it possible to clean it properly without taking the back wheel off? If so, what to I use; is an old paint brush with some white spirit a good idea? Thank you in advance for your advice.
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• 8673sharp
    8673sharp Posts: 28
    I find a dry cloth, pulled tight between each gearing and pulleyed through, brings them up nicely. A little dash of solvent on it if the cassette is really filthy.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Park Tools make a chain cleaning brush with a curved serated end and a stiff brush on the other.

My 2 toothbrushes no frills toothbrushes for 11p do a better job. (coupled with a cotton bud with the cotton taken off the end to dig deep and get the muck out).

And then as 8673sharp said, a dry cloth.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • pottssteve
    Thanks Guys,
    There goes my Sunday afternoon, I think!
    Steve
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    A quick blast with a hose is fine, just avoid blasting out the grease in the hub as well. So tip the bike over so the mech is facing towards the groud. Stick a rag there if necessary to protect hub.

Be careful about throwing de-greaser everywhere, in case it gets in the hub as well. A strong water jet, carefully used is OK. At least this is what I do on the commuter. But I floss the road bikes.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    I use an old sock or rag soaked in a bit of degreaser.

Pull tight, floss inbetween the cogs. Rinse off, lovely. 8)

Never really got on with the brushes that came with my Park Tool chain cleaner.
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    or strip it down and clean each gear in turn then put back together....comes up a treat!! :lol:

Shane
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    I know someone who uses an ultrasonic bath to clean their chain and sprockets. Sad but true.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    blu3cat wrote:
    I know someone who uses an ultrasonic bath to clean their chain and sprockets. Sad but true.

:oops: I've done this, waste of time.

Best bet is to whip the cassette off and clean with a rag. I really don't think this takes any longer than faffing about trying to clean with the wheel on, does a far better job too.
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    If its a quickie then I use an old toothbrush with some undiluted degreaser. If its a bigger job then I take the cassette off and ... toothbrush and degreaser. Whether you do it on the bike or by removing the cassette just make sure you wash away the degreaser with plenty of water.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    boling soapy water poured from a height will get it clean in situ

but be careful :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • pottssteve
    Thanks again,
    By applying pottssteve's "Theory of Least Work", I'll start with the dry cloth flossing technique and employ the heavy guns if this proves unsatisfactory.
    Steve :wink: