Rock Shox verus Suntour

joey0301
joey0301 Posts: 18
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
This question is on behalf of my husband who can't decide between the two bikes below. He would like to know if the Rock Shox and upgraded gears are worth the extra money please? And really if these Rock Shocks are better than the suntours on the talon?

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/117031.html

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/114094.html

thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the Dart is a poor fork.

but then there is not much in it as suntour make the Dart anyway.

TBH the Geo. looks that different that a ride will be the best way to sort it out.

they are both speced about the same TBH.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork on the Talon really is substandard for the money. Not that much in it as Nick says, but the Dart 2 gets an adjustable rebound damper.
  • nicklouse
    true the dart as rebound but ... does it make up for the flex?

in manyways i would be looking at the feel of the geo. and the rest of the bike and over looking the fork as you will be able to pick up a Tora for not much money.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    Both are 28mm steel stanchions I think - with alu lowers. The fork on the Talon is seen on some sub 200 quid bikes.

I'd certainly be wanting a tora for 600 quid.
  • nicklouse
    Ohh that cheap.
  • joey0301
    joey0301 Posts: 18
    Thanks for the replies

My husband has also been considering the GT Avalanche 2 - how do you think this compares?

cheers
  • nicklouse
    over to GT Supersonic :wink:
  • supersonic
    Lol.

The GT is built for harder riding, and has a more relaxed riding postion. But has a better fork in the Suntour XCR which is stiffer and smoother than the XCM and Dart, and has a hyrdraulic damping circuit.

I'd be looking at the 1.0 though.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Gt's are, in my opinion, usualy better than most other things for the price(at least with budget hardtails anyway) i have a GT and love, i always think the Triple triangle is one of the best designs.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    Aren't Halfords doing 20% off GT's at the moment? Or has that finished now?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`d reccomend getting a copy of this months MBR mgazine and checking out their annnual dirty dozen test of entry level bikes.
    Voodoo Bantu and Specialized Rockhopper came out on top.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I`d reccomend getting a copy of this months MBR mgazine and checking out their annnual dirty dozen test of entry level bikes.
    Voodoo Bantu and Specialized Rockhopper came out on top.

Because they forgot to review the Carrera Fury ;) IMO of course but it just looked like yet another £500 test settled by what wasn't reviewed rather than what was.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Bantu looks pretty good mind.

But they also said the Dart was pretty much the same as a Tora when reviewing the Hopper...