RPCC Ride - Sat 27th / Sun 28th June

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
And suddenly it's the back end of the month again - nearly July...!! :shock: :lol:

After a weekend of MONSTER sportives for most of the RPCC core it's back to the relative normality of the RPCC run this weekend! I'm going to stake my claim for the usual Saturday time, and state my preference for a decent length spin of 120-140km (although if it ends up being less or more then so be it). If anyone feels the need to nudge the start time a little closer to 8am then I'm open to the idea, but as you all know by now I'm likely to be a little bit late...! :roll: :oops:

So, for those of you coming to join us, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am start on Saturday is most likely,
although keep an eye out as earlier starts seem to be happening now and Sunday might be favoured by some
:arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building
:arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped
:arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)
As ever I'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! Be good to see some of the faces we have seen over the past months re-appear too - Nick? Ryan? Lucy? You all still there?...!! :lol:

A collection point at Hampton Court can be arranged as that tends to be the route out. Please let us know if you need to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option we need to know, and please be on time (although there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be a little late coming through). Collection time there is likely to be around 20-30mins after the agreed RP start time so again, keep an eye out.

So, who is about this weekend and when? :shock: 8) :D

Comments

• jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Morning Rich,

I hope you had a good time riding QH last weekend :-) I won't be out this weekend as I'll be in Andorra riding my proper bike :-D
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    What route have you got planned? I would maybe be up for a sub 110k on saturday depending on route. Would be good to finally see the bike tart. 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Morning Rich,

I hope you had a good time riding QH last weekend :-) I won't be out this weekend as I'll be in Andorra riding my proper bike :-D
    You're taking the road bike to Andorra then? Good man! :wink::lol: (oh, and I was on the DLMC, not the QBH - the tougher of the two!)
    NWLondoner wrote:
    What route have you got planned? I would maybe be up for a sub 110k on saturday depending on route. Would be good to finally see the bike tart. 8)
    Nothing planned as such - we'll just make it up on the day! :wink::D

Depending on the turnout we could always offer a 'bail out' option, but regardless of distance or turnout I don't think it'll be a hectic pace - I'm not going all out that's for sure 8)
  • jrduquemin
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Morning Rich,

You're taking the road bike to Andorra then? Good man! :wink::lol: (oh, and I was on the DLMC, not the QBH - the tougher of the two!)
    NWLondoner wrote:

Depending on the turnout we could always offer a 'bail out' option, but regardless of distance or turnout I don't think it'll be a hectic pace - I'm not going all out that's for sure 8)

Ah, of course the Dave Lloyd :-) Forgot you were staying in country for your sportive ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • NWLondoner
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Morning Rich,

NWLondoner wrote:

Thats means were getting lost again :roll: :wink:

Put me down as a provisional yes for Saturday. I'll see what the consensus is between the others then confirm.

So how was the DLMC??
  • jrduquemin
    To help with us not getting lost, I have now purchased a Garmin Edge 605 to help with navigating also. Just got to learn how to use it now :-) I used a Garmin Forerunner on Sunday to get me back to Box Hill after the London to Brighton but it was a bit basic and didn't work correctly. I ended up riding up the A23 most of the way to Gatwick :?

I didn't like it one little bit...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • NWLondoner
    jrduquemin wrote:
    To help with us not getting lost, I have now purchased a Garmin Edge 605 to help with navigating also. Just got to learn how to use it now :-) I used a Garmin Forerunner on Sunday to get me back to Box Hill after the London to Brighton but it was a bit basic and didn't work correctly. I ended up riding up the A23 most of the way to Gatwick :?

I bet you've never cycled so fast trying to get off that road :shock:

The 605 is a good unit. However always let it get a proper 3D satellite fix before starting to use ANY of the functions including course or to start the timer etc.
  • jrduquemin
    Dude, you have no idea how much I did not want to be on that road. Cars flashing past at 60+ mph an arms length from you does wonders for your performance :-D

Doesn't help with the kit washing though ;-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    jrduquemin wrote:

Made the investment? Good man. Did you get it through Amazon?

The 605 is a good ole unit but I had issues with it at the Fray. I had it switched on the map function on the downhills so I could "see" the corners ahead to avoid crashing like some unlucky folk.

However the unit froze on the downhill from the Somport but that was the only time it did on the day. The other gripe I had, and Phips had the same problem, was it kept telling me I was going on negative gradient or in other words, down hill, when I was struggling up the Portalet. For a while I thought I was going in reverse :) As Phips pointed out its to do with barometric pressure which can screw it up if things aren't even or something. So something to watch out for, just in case you get disheartened when you are going up Box Hill next time :)
  • jrduquemin
    Hi Bernard,

Yup, I bought it through Amazon :-) Paid just over £200 for it. Just waiting for it to be delivered now...

How was the QH then?
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Rich-Ti
    Guys, you NEED to update the software on your units or they won't work properly! Bern, I thought I'd told you that? Seriously, they had issues early on and have had firmware upgrades since - connect it to your PC and use the Garmin web updater.

NWLondoner - I won't get us lost, my knowledge of the roads is plentiful, never you worry 8)
  • jrduquemin
    Haha, typical IT recommendation :-) I'l be updating the firmware on my Garmin as soon as I get it set up.
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Rich-Ti
    jrduquemin wrote:
    Haha, typical IT recommendation :-)
    And from a Packaging Consultant - imagine that! :wink::lol:
  • NWLondoner
    jrduquemin wrote:

by the way how was the beacon??

did you get a clear run at it?? or was is blocked by people on their bl@@dy MTB's :wink:
  • jrduquemin
    NWLondoner wrote:
    jrduquemin wrote:

by the way how was the beacon??

did you get a clear run at it?? or was is blocked by people on their bl@@dy MTB's :wink:

The beacon was bloody easy this time :-) There was a steady flow of riders on the right hand side of the road, people on the left were walking. I went up it a bit faster than I did last time, and I even accelerated once I knew I was nearly at the top. Got into a chaingang on the descent the other side to the main road. And hit 50mph riding down into Brighton too :-D Got to use the whole of the road also as it was closed....
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Berns12
    jrduquemin wrote:

How was the QH then?

It is much more exciting to explain in person. Rather than spoil it for the weekend, let's just say I had "tech/wardrobe malfunction" which meant I had literally 3 mins to get to the start line and I had to start from the back of the pack amongst the last 50 riders. Anyway I will email you later to give you the full low down in an email. I am not sure the whole of Bike Radar wants to hear about the epic day which was full of drama :)
  • NWLondoner
    Berns12 wrote:
    jrduquemin wrote:

How was the QH then?

It is much more exciting to explain in person. Rather than spoil it for the weekend, let's just say I had "tech/wardrobe malfunction" which meant I had literally 3 mins to get to the start line and I had to start from the back of the pack amongst the last 50 riders. Anyway I will email you later to give you the full low down in an email. I am not sure the whole of Bike Radar wants to hear about the epic day which was full of drama :)

can't wait to hear about that :D
  • jrduquemin
    Nor can I :-)
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Guys, you NEED to update the software on your units or they won't work properly! Bern, I thought I'd told you that? Seriously, they had issues early on and have had firmware upgrades since - connect it to your PC and use the Garmin web updater.

NWLondoner - I won't get us lost, my knowledge of the roads is plentiful, never you worry 8)

I told him about 3 times to update his garmin aswell....but did he listen.....Nooooooo :roll:

I had no such problems with my Garmin.
    Berns12 wrote:
    It is much more exciting to explain in person. Rather than spoil it for the weekend, let's just say I had "tech/wardrobe malfunction" which meant I had literally 3 mins to get to the start line and I had to start from the back of the pack amongst the last 50 riders. Anyway I will email you later to give you the full low down in an email. I am not sure the whole of Bike Radar wants to hear about the epic day which was full of drama
    )

Plenty of good banter aswell, although Berns missed half of it due to his Narcolepsy :lol:

BTW I'm in like Flynn this Saturday, but not Sunday.

The long grazed legged one
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Can I tempt any of you lot into a Sunday ride? Fancy joining you guys this w/e but risk being a sorely hungover mess on Saturday...

I guess, judging by the results, probably not but thought I'd mention it. (Think of the extra day's recuperation from the Sportives!)
  • Rich-Ti
    London-Red wrote:
    Can I tempt any of you lot into a Sunday ride? Fancy joining you guys this w/e but risk being a sorely hungover mess on Saturday...
    I could be tempted to join you Dave, as an 'as well as' rather than an alternative - keep me posted, and I'll do the same 8)
  • london-red
    Good man Rich - I thought I might be able to nudge you in the direction of the Surrey hills :-)

I'm open to anything really - but a relaxed start appeals. Maybe 9.30/10.00? Nothing too strenuous - 50 or 60 miles and a nice cup of tea on Box HIll - it will be the first time in months...
  • Rich-Ti
    London-Red wrote:
    a relaxed start appeals. Maybe 9.30/10.00? Nothing too strenuous - 50 or 60 miles and a nice cup of tea on Box HIll - it will be the first time in months...
    Sounds like a good plan, but may also be dependent on what materialises for me with regard to Sat night...! :roll: :lol:
  • london-red
    Okay, well keep me posted - I'll be heading out regardless.

If anyone else fancies popping along, let me know. Nice one.
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    Count me in for Saturday - looking forward to tales of the Fray and the Dave Lloyd, on what's looking to be another gourgeous day
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    I'll be there for Saturday wearing my tasteful new green and yellow Quebrantahuesos top :) Should have got the medium size :roll:
    Berns, that must be one of the shortest retirements from the sport ever - all of 6 days :lol:
  • jrduquemin
    Who retired from the sport? :-)

How did the QH go for you Al?
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Rich-Ti
    [quote="jHow did the QH go for you Al?[/quote]
    Let's save the war stories for Saturday eh?! 8)
  • Berns12
    I'll be there for Saturday wearing my tasteful new green and yellow Quebrantahuesos top :) Should have got the medium size :roll:
    Berns, that must be one of the shortest retirements from the sport ever - all of 6 days :lol:

The wind passing through the helmet, the rush from the descents, and learning from the pain and suffering from the climbs...just 3 reasons for coming back. Assembled the bike Monday evening and rode Tuesday evening and this morning.

I will be there on Saturday, but still debating on wearing the Fray Bentos jersey...I don't think they will go well with my Dynamo bibs ;)
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    I'm in, will need a leg stretch. :twisted:
    It's the vibe of the thing.