big crash

mattbass789
mattbass789 Posts: 355
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
And so the moaning begins,

Had to spend all yesterday in hospital getting scans for possible head, neck and back injuries after coming off my bike, at about 50mph down a hill that was covered in chalk residue after a days worth of rain. Slid across the road and it threw me off my bike as i hit the verge on the otherside, luckily i was out with my dad. But was unconcious for a minute or two and i dont remember the ride home at all. Although my dad says i kept repeating myself and i was up the hills like a bullet i dont even remember them. So that was my gift to my father for fathers day. Even though I thought it was monday yesterday apparently... the wonders of amnesia... the wonders of amnesia... :roll:

anyway my bike, a boardman comp isnt too badly damaged, one of the shifters is bent in slightly and the left gear cable is sheared off. no scratches or frame damage luckily. but once my bikes fixed, whats the best way of getting back into things, last time this happened i pretty much stayed off the bike... i am certain this isnt going to happen as i spent alot of money on it. i always was better going up hills rather than down them.

cheers for any advice, or help.
matt
“If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham

Comments

• blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Had a 25 mph to zero into the back of a van this year. As soon as the bike was fixed up and I could actually turn my head to look behind me, got back on it.

I would try a few gentle rides to check that you are ok, and that the bike is actually
    ok. Assuming there is no pain and the docs have checked you out as clear, the best way is to just get back in the saddle and go.

If you get pain while cycling, listen to your body - it's usually right. :)
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • mattbass789
    yeah, i guess so. I am all clear just r and r is needed. i am always one for training to how i feel if its a slow day take things steady if im feeling brilliant really push myself to my limits. the only thing is do i take my bike to a LBS who i trust, or take to halfords where they should have ease getting parts etc with it being a boardman? was only my 5th ride out bare in mind my first roadie.

@mattbeedham
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Sod's law states the chance of crashing goes up exponentially the newer a bike is, rode my old steel indestructable hybrid for 15 months - nothing. My crash happened about 2 months after getting my Road bike, and on my rebuilt one foot slips out of the pedal on my first commute and smashes into the seat stays taking a inch of paint down to the carbon within 10 miles - pah! :roll:

Glad to hear your OK, definitely the main thing.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • mattbass789
    yeah, metal and composites can always be fixed easier and quicker than a person!
    cheers for your concern.

@mattbeedham
  • fatgit
    fatgit Posts: 166
    blu3cat wrote:
    If you get pain while cycling, listen to your body - it's usually right. :)

couldn't agree more with that, if you cover the pain with painkillers you'll only end up doing yourself more harm, pain is there for a reason!
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    I had a similar one in 2005 doing 60kph downhill - luckily nothing broken but I still have the 50p size scar on the knee, and if I had not been wearing the helmet I'm pretty certain I would not be writing this.
    Definitely take the bike to a good LBS - point is you may need to get your confidence back (taken me 2 years actually) & you need to start to trust the bike again.
    Practice descents again, but controlling your speed with the front brake primarily (the Boardman bikes only seem to get a 9/10 on brake reviews, strangely).
    Obvious thing to say, but look at the road - has there been recent rain, is there gravel (or chalk in your case !), any chance of bad potholes, etc., or stones if they have resurfaced recently.
    And build up your riding again.
    Good luck with the recovery !
    My knees hurt !
  • mattbass789
    cheers! definate practice on the descent, just annoying it happened now on a new bike, and when i was really starting to make progress. onwards i suppose!

@mattbeedham
  • geerfree
    geerfree Posts: 74
    Takis61 wrote:
    And build up your riding again.

Definetely good advice, start building up the rides and try not to do that same decent again until you are 100% confident with the new bike and the way it will react on the road!
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    glad you're ok matt

see elsewhere on this forum for NapoleonD's recovery - it hasnt dampened his enthusiasm judging from his posts on the forum

i'm too chicken to go 40mph+..... my speed will never reach my age again.....!
  • I was bounced off the front of a Merc last year, probably the luciest day of my life. Road was wet, so slipped across the top of it, with light gravel rash. if it was dry i'd have been having skin grafts as it was that coarse tarmac. Helmet split in two, without it, it would have been a mopping up, not picking up.

I did think to myself that like a car crash, you just have to get out there. so the first few times out, i was extra careful etc, and within a couple of rides was more or less back to normal. So my advice is go out sooner, rather than later before you build up and apprehension.

I'd get the bike checked over by the LBS for any fractures on the frame, and if they're carbon, the forks.

Good to hear there's no permanent damage though.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Lifes all about learning, and most learn from the mistakes they make? Sometimes you just got to get on with it, and time is a great healer, as in a few weeks I'll bet you'll be laughing and joking about it! So don't beat yourself up about it.
    I've had one or two near death experiences, and now (sort of) live by the moto: ''What don't kill you makes you stronger!''
    Next time your on that bit of road, if you fell off doing 50mph, don't do it again, do about 49.9mph and you'll be fine. :wink:
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • mattbass789
    haha yes, I mean i was doing 50mph, and my dad on his giant fcr has some tri bars fitted, was pulling away from me and was nearly down the hill, and he says its taught him a lesson about descending so fast. when his speed must have got up to at least 10years above his age, him being nearly 50.

one thing is tho, knocking myself out, i dont remember enough to make jokes about what happened, :shock: ive it time, cheers for all the support, one thing i should ask now, should i consider buying a helmet specifically designed for the road, i absolutley swear by wearing one, tried some on today when i took the bike to get fixed, and they seem to offer a little more protection to where i hit my head more on my eyebrow. My other one isnt damaged but is a mtb helmet ive just taken the peak off.

cheers again.

@mattbeedham