Anyone from Halifax?

LAW4778
LAW4778 Posts: 232
edited July 2009 in Routes
Just wondering where there is to off road apart from the ogden/withins loop which as i noticed yeterday i shouldn't be going on as i spotted some NO CYCLING signs which i have never noticed (can anyone enlighten me?)

I know there are places down hebden bridge but its not very local to me and i don't know where to go, also heard there is copley woods, some woods near elland wood bottom and norland moors, all of these places i have no idea where to start and finish and i don't want to get lost, anyone have any experience of these places would be much appreciated, even better if anyone is after a riding buddy let me know, im not a wierdo with no friends just a wierdo with no friends who are into biking. :lol:
Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    LAW4778 wrote:
    Just wondering where there is to off road apart from the ogden/withins loop which as i noticed yeterday i shouldn't be going on as i spotted some NO CYCLING signs which i have never noticed (can anyone enlighten me?)

As long as you stick to the bridleways there's nothing to stop you.
    LAW4778 wrote:
    I know there are places down hebden bridge but its not very local to me and i don't know where to go, also heard there is copley woods, some woods near elland wood bottom and norland moors

Whereabouts in Halifax are you? Have you got the OS map for the area and have you tried to work routes out?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • LAW4778
    dave_hill wrote:
    LAW4778 wrote:

As long as you stick to the bridleways there's nothing to stop you.
    LAW4778 wrote:
    I know there are places down hebden bridge but its not very local to me and i don't know where to go, also heard there is copley woods, some woods near elland wood bottom and norland moors

Whereabouts in Halifax are you? Have you got the OS map for the area and have you tried to work routes out?

I live about 3 mile from ogden, done a search for a map for halifax the OS explorer but the nearest thing is one for bradford/huddersfield do you know which one i might need and will the same one cover from ogden down to hebden bridge? are the maps detailed and easy enough to follow i am good with a normal road map but would imagine there is quite a difference, cheers Lee
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
  • elchenuk
    elchenuk Posts: 24
    I think Ordnance Survey map OL21 covers ogden water (is that near you?), it definitely covers Hebden Bridge because thats the one I use.
  • LAW4778
    elchenuk wrote:
    I think Ordnance Survey map OL21 covers ogden water (is that near you?), it definitely covers Hebden Bridge because thats the one I use.

Sound that defo seems like the one i need thanks.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
  • LAW4778
    Also is the only difference with the active maps is that they are waterproof they seem expensive compared to the normal one do they fold as compact?
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
  • elchenuk
    No those active maps are a nightmare to fold up. I like to have a small portion of the map (the bit I'm riding/walking in) visible and the rest folded up, but with the active maps you can only fold it up along the pre-folded lines.
  • LAW4778
    elchenuk wrote:
    No those active maps are a nightmare to fold up. I like to have a small portion of the map (the bit I'm riding/walking in) visible and the rest folded up, but with the active maps you can only fold it up along the pre-folded lines.

Thanks for the info think i will just go for the normal paper version.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Correct, OL21 covers most of the Halifax area. There are sections of legit trails raound and about but in the immediate Halifax area it's very difficult to string any decent loops together. Could you not sling your bike on the train and take a trip to Hebden Bridge? Loads around there.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • marcaudsley
    marcaudsley Posts: 187
    Hi
    I just PM'd you
  • LaSanta
    LaSanta Posts: 25
    Have a look at www.happy-days-mtb.spaces.live.com for Halifax and surrounding area.

Me and my mates put it together for fun and a record of our rides .... happy to share with folk.

If you use any of the rides please drop a comment on the site
  • elchenuk
    Nice photos, do you have any routes/maps or your rides?
  • LaSanta
    LaSanta Posts: 25
    Hola

On the web site you'll see 'Routes Completed' and 'Routes to Do' ... where the route name is in red, click it and a map will open up.

If you do or plan to do any of the rides please leave a comment on the site ... interested to know what you think.

Happy Days!