Hope 2009 headset
Hope seatclamp
SDG Bel Air RL saddle
Shimano XT gear-set
Shimano XT chainset
Shimano XTR pedals
Hope Pro II hubs with DT Swiss XR 4.2D rims, 2009 Hope QR skewers
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1's
(Not Pictured) back-up forks Magura Durin Race for really bumpy times.
Edited pics as they were huuuge!!!!!

Comments

• adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
  • Thanks very much,

I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.
  • jamesst
    jamesst Posts: 322
    it looks the dogs bud! the black, gold combi works a treat, what hubs r they?
  • :D Cheers Jamesst

The hubs are Hope Po II Disc Hubs

I was thinking of Getting a gold Hope stem but I'm not sure if that would be gold overkill??
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    :D Cheers Jamesst

The hubs are Hope Po II Disc Hubs

I was thinking of Getting a gold Hope stem but I'm not sure if that would be gold overkill??

Yes. A silver Thomson would look great though.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • I think that you may well be right Black Spur.
    Thomson stems are very nice in silver too, mmmm????
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i normally think all ht look like the same old nine pipes bonded together but that is lovely, leave the stem black and my suggestion would be to get a black seat post if you were going to change anything at all.
  • jamesst
    jamesst Posts: 322
    good shout about the seat post, thompson one would be so good but just too damn sexy :lol:
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    i normally think all ht look like the same old nine pipes bonded together but that is lovely, leave the stem black and my suggestion would be to get a black seat post if you were going to change anything at all.

Usually I say stems and posts should be black but here the silver looks great and complimets the fork.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • mongoosed
    mongoosed Posts: 315
    Thats a cracking looking bike there,love the gold parts,

Robert.
  • Thanks for all the positive comments much appreciated. Especially from sheepsteeth as I know how you feel about the HT variety.

Not sure about the stem change and I like the seatpost in silver harks back to my 95 Gary Fisher Montare. I also remember from doing Art at school many moons ago about creating triangles of colour (or something!) and I think that it kind of works the way it is at the moment (silver bits on fork, sliver cranks, silver post join the dots and you have a triangle or maybe I'm nuts!?.

May be time to leave alone now and move onto the next build..Feel something Salsa and loving the Chris King rootbeer colour silly expensive though!>!?

Cheers, :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if i didnt hate riding hardtails so much, i would love to build one just like that.

but i would have a black post
  • donnie murdo
    donnie murdo Posts: 986
    ..but I just wanted to add a couple more images:

Out and about doin it's thang:-

t6p0gl.jpg

Having a shower:-

29nauyu.jpg
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    how's it ride?
    Total weight close to 20lbs?

the slot drop out scanal was my 2nd choice when I did my weight weenie SS buildlast month but I was worried that the back end would be very harsh, being a race-y bike and I couldn't get a test ride (the internet not haveing a shop you can visit :roll:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • donnie murdo
    donnie murdo Posts: 986
    Hi Bomberesque,

Your Ibis is very nice by the way and I am impressed with the Nuke Proof range. I may even resurrect my Merlin Malt 4 from keeping the ironing board company and stick a set of those forks on it.

I have no idea how much it weighs as I do not own any scales to weigh it (more than my road bikes and a lot less than my Orange P7). I never built it as a light weight machine to be honest, I would have used more carbon parts for that and not used Thomson. I built it as a long haul XC bike suited for solo excursions into the Scottish wilderness. I went more for reliability (based on my own experiences and not magazine reviews) I also wanted it to cover ground quickly and climb well which the Scandal does in spades. To make it faster I could do with narrower tires but I wanted wider ones to combat all sorts of Scottish terrain. Also SS would be a lot lighter but for long distance rides in Scotland it would not very practical or energy conserving.

As for the ride, I find it very comfortable (although I would like the new swept back riser bar by Ritchey) but I did start out in 1994 with a rigid Alu frame Gary Fisher Montare so I am used to feeling the ground beneath my wheels which is something I like. Also as a keen road cyclist these days I am used to feedback and a harsh ride especiallly on some of the roads round where I live. So I may not be the best person to judge. But it really is a quick machine and a joy to ride over many miles and in all conditions IMO.

:lol:
  • Clivee
    Clivee Posts: 8
    I like the clever touch of it matching the draw handles :lol:
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I did start out in 1994 with a rigid Alu frame Gary Fisher Montare so I am used to feeling the ground beneath my wheels which is something I like.

I know what you mean, My first alu MTB was a 1991 Cannondal M800. I still have it and feeling the ground under my wheels I would describe more as feeling the ground up my @rse. Glad the Scandal is working out for you, I still may consider one if the Ibis confirms my fears about making bikes out of stuff that isn't metal
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day