Shock Horror, sports other than cycling!

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
Yes it's the time of the year when the football season is about to begin! it seemed like only yesterday since it finished :shock:

This up coming season I shall be returning to the football fields of Devon to terrorise players of all ages and genders as I have just dug out my referees kit and cleaned my boots for new season
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    You can only have one extra sport!

I played tennis for the first time yesterday. Apparently (mrs tardington) says I am quite good!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I don't play sports, I only like lonely racing type things. Read into that what you will.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Sports other than cycling?

Nope, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    nope, sport free here, bikes are just a hobby as to stuff with balls....
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Rowing and Water-Polo. Water-Polo less and less, rowing more and more... :shock:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I run and occasionally watch athletics :)
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Bit of running, and pool.

(can we draw up an FCN list for pedestrians and runners?)
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    My weekends in the summer are either playing Softball at a tournament somewhere, playing Ultimate at a tournament somewhere, or cycling. Tomorrow is cycling :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Solo climbing slacklining (not up to Leo's standard though) 8)
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    You missed Fencing off the list - I feel disenfranchised :roll:
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I've done a load of things to an ok level; rarely apply myself hard in anything though. I do apply myself to skiing. That may seem odd, as for many it's more of a pastime than a sport, but for me it's all about maintaining perfect technique, whilst being on terrain that makes you think three times, *and* pushing to the limit of my control all at the same time. Because of this, I find myself trying to slip through bumps fields like a pro mogul skier more than I should do.

If I can do that for just a few seconds, it's like grabbing a strand of quicksilver.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Chewy Cheeks
    Chewy Cheeks Posts: 234
    Played Rugby still play football, rowed for 3 years and learned more about winning during this time than any other sport, love watching the gaelic sports (hurling is my favorite)

I enjoyed them all - none to a level where anyone who was any good thought I was, hey ho.

having said all this if the big man upstairs said chewy there is only one game left you can play- it would have to be cricket - nothing comes close for me.

I am a bloke on a bike..
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Is cycling a sport as well then? I always it was a way of being :) I ride, therefore I am :wink:

I have the same issue with martial arts - don't understand the "sport" aspect but love the way of living aspects.
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Was rubbish at pretty much every sport. OK, all of them. I'll stick to the bike, thanks...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Golf.

Was thinking of posting thread, which occured to me while cycling past a golf course, explaining the similarities between golf and cycling.

Turns out I wouldn't have been bothered :roll:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • AllTheGear
    AllTheGear Posts: 248
    Badminton. It's not in the list! And scuba diving.
    ... and no idea ...

FCN: 3
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    I don't participate in anything specific at present, but have dabbled competitively in archery, paintball, running and video games
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Rowing and Water-Polo. Water-Polo less and less, rowing more and more... :shock:

I'm not surprised. I never know how they get the horses to swim...

No?

I'll get my coat...
  • bikerbill
    bikerbill Posts: 269
    Too old and knackered to play, but ruby union is my other sporting enjoyment. Cricket too, so what with the TDF, Lions tour in S.A. and the Ashes coming up,I cant really see me getting out on the bike too much this summer.
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    Hi there,

First post from me, just to say I hate all competitive sports with a vengeance, including cycling as a sport. It is probably because I have always been utterly useless at them :oops: However I do engage in other outdoor activities, i.e. walking. I also engage in motorcycling but I do not regard that as a sport unless its done on a track as a race, whereas mine is all about riding long distances to interesting new places on the best roads, meeting up with people, camping out, etc. I would like my cycling to develop that way but time is against me so end up just commuting and doing Sunday rides with CTC or taking the kids out on the local trails.

The only competitive sport I have ever engaged in since leaving school was badminton and I was not very good at that, to the embarrassment of my father who was always quite good until he gave it up the other year at the age of 71. This was following a partial tear to his Achilles tendon during playing, but it was no big deal, healed quickly and he was back to his other love of hill walking and bagging Munroes after a few weeks, just took the doctor's advice not to do the badminton as well at that age.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Why isnt golf on the list?
    I play football and golf. One to get rid of aggression, one to calm me down.
    Riding my bike seems to do both.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Other than cycling, I do a very, very small amount of running, and a small amount of indoor rowing (Concept 2 machines; I've even competed in official races like the British Indoor Rowing Championships. I bet you didn't even know they existed!)

I'd like to play cricket, but I wouldn't be any good probably, so I'd need to find a pub of village team who are desperate for players. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    Used to play rugby long time ago now but apart from cycling, I going swimming every now and again but more and more it's rock-climbing for me (the reason for my weird username). So there ya go :wink:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Have dabbled in tri/duathlon in recent years. After a few stints in the pool the last couple of weeks, I might have another go at a sprint tri later in the summer and do some autumn duathlons, but I find running more than 5k such an effort now and would much rather ride the bike with my spare time.

What about distingusihing between different types of cycling e.g. mtb'ing and cyclo-cross? Cyclo-cross! Now that's what I really would like to do more of this coming winter! :D Just got to find some way of obtaining th permission I need for a crosser...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Rockbuddy, you don't read TAC do you? Found out that they're all online!

Cjcp - I would love to have a go at triathlon - and possibly even cyclocross. I am paranoid about my knees for some reason. Not sure why! Make your own poll if you want though. 8) The cycling not the knees btw.
  • scally56
    scally56 Posts: 115
    I play American Football, Climb, and hit the gym. None of whcih on the list.
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    tardington wrote:
    Rockbuddy, you don't read TAC do you? Found out that they're all online!

Ok, had a quick google (which kinda answers your question :wink: ) Is TAC "The Angry Corrie" Scotland's Finest Walking Fanzine? Looks interesting may give it a read :)
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Climbing (although less and less of the real outdoor variety) and running, although I s'pose you could argue those aren't sports in the same sense as the things on the OP's list. Used to play quite a lot of squash.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    tardington wrote:
    Cjcp - I would love to have a go at triathlon - and possibly even cyclocross. I am paranoid about my knees for some reason. Not sure why! Make your own poll if you want though. 8) The cycling not the knees btw.

Go on! Have a crack at a sprint tri! :) Your bike fitness will already be a big help.

With young kids, it seems much easier for me to train for those without too much disruption to family life just using the commute. It's not perfect by any stretch, but better than running and swimming. I've done one on a heavy mtb and that was seriously hard work (albeit great fun), so but a cross bike would make life a lot easier. Check out the British Cycling website - the calendar/events section will tell you where/when the cross races are.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Badminton, golf and indoor rowing. I still cycle 10x more than I do these.
    Shazam !!