Sorry Fixes, Fakengers etc etc

13»

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    In the last few months a few silly bikes (saddle a foot higher than bars, bars chopped so there's barely room for hands) have appeared round uni, and I really don't know what to make of it. Generally I'm just amused/bemused by the whole thing- it's as if people have found a checklist online somewhere and have just gone out one weekend and bought it all up.

Now, it's true that people are on bikes which is a good thing, but I'd put money on most of them not having been on a bike much since they left school and it all just seems a bit, well... I don't know, but I can't help thinking it's all a bit lame.

I agree with someone else though who said that some gear that could see you labelled a fakenger is actually pretty useful- I tick a few of those myself (3/4s, messenger bag) but like to think I undermine them on my Trek hybrid, even if it is recently converted to SS.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Roger,

I was trying to be specific about a certain type of look and we all know THAT look, and the style of riding it seems to come with.

Maybe Fakenger is wrong, perhaps a Hoxtoner is more apt. I'm sure you're a serious rider, not a fashionista, so not my target :wink:
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    So can anyone predict what will supplant the fakenger look amongst the bike fashionistas - on the basis that the look has now gone very mainstream and therefore likely to be abandoned by the achingly cool very soon? Anyone work in Hoxton? Is Hoxton still cool or is Hackney now cooler?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I reckon Lycra, shaved roadie is going to be the next vogue.

Already people are eyeing up my image, wishing to look like that.

Several people in my workplace have already asked me about 'padded shorts'. They were two late jumping on the Fakenger band wagon so they think they can jumnp on mine... phluck off!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    So can anyone predict what will supplant the fakenger look amongst the bike fashionistas - on the basis that the look has now gone very mainstream and therefore likely to be abandoned by the achingly cool very soon? Anyone work in Hoxton? Is Hoxton still cool or is Hackney now cooler?

Hmmmmm, well before the fakenger look wasn't it the student-on-a-bmx look? Probably dutch bikes or something...

Or, for the really exclusive, ultra-cool people, the softride.
  • Soul Boy
    Pedicabs, thats the next big thing.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    edited June 2009
    Soul Boy wrote:
    Roger,

I was trying to be specific about a certain type of look and we all know THAT look, and the style of riding it seems to come with.

Maybe Fakenger is wrong, perhaps a Hoxtoner is more apt. I'm sure you're a serious rider, not a fashionista, so not my target :wink:
    I don't think you have a clue who your target is, or at least you can't tell by looking at them.

I spend a fair bit of time with LFGSS, people you no doubt hate when you see them around town. What you obviously don't realise is that the majority of them, myself included as well as several others on this forum, are serious enough about cycling that 3/4 shorts and fixed gears are only part of their arsenal. Just happens to be that it's often the most practical part for getting around central London. To suggest that single speed has no advantages in cities is nothing but ignorant.

That sort of attitude is no more valid than that of the motorists who we deride for lumping all cyclists together, failing to realise that it's the individual that matters, rather than the group to which they appear to belong.

Edit - Sorry, I realise that could read like it was all directed at Soul Boy. Not the case.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Soul Boy wrote:

That's utterly rank

I truly think the whole single speedy thing is about to implode, as all the trendy things start tooling around on something even less agreeable to sane people - US-style cruisers, perhaps... :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    SecretSam wrote:
    Agree, sorry but if you're on-one you are one and you can do one.

I'm sure there are excellent reasons for riding a single speed machine, but I can't see them unless you live in Norfolk and carry nowt - it's a fashion thing.

Dude! No! There are great reasons for riding SS in London - I love mine, there's no need for gears around here. My commuter gets used all year round in all weather. The lack of gears makes it easy and cheap to maintain and running a 50/16 has noticeably improved my leg strength. It's nothing short of ideal for London Town.

Yeah but I've seen your other machine on your avatar. My avatar is ME (except not smiling. Or yellow). One gear would leave me stone cold on a slab, even combatting minor cols.

Perhaps the voice of reason from an enlightened city full of fine folk and folking massive hills should intervene - anyone living in Bristol reading?

• oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    My 2010 Fashion tip - 70s & 80s Ladies racers by Peugeot, Raleigh and Puch. Top tubes are so passe.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Soul Boy
    Hate's a pretty strong word Brun, never said hate. I couldn't hate another rider. I'll save that for WVM, BMW drivers..... :wink: Did say I'd stick a stick in the front wheel of a fakenger, but really I wouldn't, I'd just shake my head, like I do anyway. I do know who I shake my head at, really I do.

I did say I understand the whole concept of a SS (not realy with FG), in fact twice.

The ladies doth protest tooo much, methinks! :lol: Now go mag up you FG!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Soul Boy wrote:
    I couldn't hate another rider

You need to try harder.

When did hate become such a "bad" thing anyway? We are losing our way as a people and sub culture.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • secretsam
    Soul Boy wrote:
    Hate's a pretty strong word Brun, never said hate. I couldn't hate another rider. I'll save that for WVM, BMW drivers..... :wink:

1. "Hate" is the polar opposite of love. Think heaven and hell. City and Rovers. Can't have one without the other, much though you'd like to...

2. I actually know 3 thoroughly agreeable people who drive BMWs. And don't you watch Top Gear? Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers.

• Soul Boy
    Ah, that explains the to$$er in the Audi then.....

And I apologise to the gansta BMW driver who pointed his fingers and said blam, blam its as easy as that. Your right Sir, it would be that easy to shoot a cyclist.

I officially surrender. I'm off to check e-bay for a 80's ladies racer. :lol:
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    1. "Hate" is the polar opposite of love. Think heaven and hell. City and Rovers. Can't have one without the other, much though you'd like to...

Surely indifference is the opposite of love, total lack of any emotive feelings towards something or someone. Hate is often very close to love indeed.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Fixies/SS bikes are slow to pull away from lights etc. - that's the biggest downside I've found so far. And it's a big one in a city full of impatient drivers fighting for road space.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Okay - I am not sure where I stand on this....

1, Does not matter how you dress or what bike you ride, if you ride like a tw@t then fashion really is not affected either......your still a tw@t.

2, More people are turning to cycling with car costs and lack of econimically viable public transport - so this type of riding will only increase as it is fashionable and underground media cool....

I am a complete Fakenger in summer (Converse All Stars in camo, Camo 3/4 shorts, cool Tee shirt or colloared shirt/hoodie) - however, I wear a helmet at all times, gloves at all times and a high viz when it is cold or dark......What does this make me?! A Fake Fakenger?! As you see from my stats, I put the mileage in too!! The only reason I go with the "cool" look is that I am either going to work or into town - so I would rather be in normal'ish clothes as opposed to lycra clad...but I am not a very cool person..:-(

I don't think you can tarnish everyone with the same brush, tw@t riders will always be tw@t riders, whether fashionable or not.
  • biondino
    You're a Frankenger.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    biondino wrote:
    You're a Frankenger.

LOL :lol::lol::lol:
  • biondino
    gtvlusso wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    You're a Frankenger.

It also seems, from a cursory google search, that I have invented that word! Everyone, start using it!
  • secretsam
    biondino wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    You're a Frankenger.

It also seems, from a cursory google search, that I have invented that word! Everyone, start using it!

Is a Frankenger a kind of hybrid? Roadie plus fakenger with a dash of dayglo commuter, garnished with moss green touristy bits?

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    biondino wrote:
    Fixies/SS bikes are slow to pull away from lights etc. - that's the biggest downside I've found so far. And it's a big one in a city full of impatient drivers fighting for road space.

Not all SS riders are slow away from the lights :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Not all SS riders are slow away from the lights :wink:

Yeah those that push girly spinny gears (like ITB) are quite quick, until they spin out 15 metres down the road and get scalped by the big ringers...
    8)
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I was tempted to post that link having read it this morning. Feel like I'm some sort of double agent when I consider things like that tho'.

LFGSS is probably considered (with good reason) to be a bit anarchic round these parts, but it's good to see they don't have any more sympathy for people with toilets for brains.
    14. nod at those who dont nod, and feel like a tw@t
    15. dont nod at those who nod, and feel like a c/nt
    :)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I was tempted to post that link having read it this morning. Feel like I'm some sort of double agent when I consider things like that tho'.

You are. You are hte most heinous of double agents. A right proper traitor in our midst. Shhh! Walls have ears.

Having read what passes for wit and banter in that so-called london fuggerss.com thread, I was tempted to wander over, introduce meself, and throw some opinions out their for consideration.

In the end, I decided I couldn't be @rsed.

Seems I have more in common with the london fuggerss than I realised. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • kingmho
    kingmho Posts: 37
    Well what about those folks who ride a hybrid with panniers, wear helmets and hi-viz, but don't actually commute? Commutengers?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    kingmho wrote:
    Well what about those folks who ride a hybrid with panniers, wear helmets and hi-viz, but don't actually commute? Commutengers?
    :lol::lol::lol:

Or people like my mate Rob, that bought a clunking great hybrid for commuting and never use it. This is a man that has a cross trainer in his bedroom that he never uses as that would entail "getting up earlier." I gave up with him a long time ago...
  • kingmho
    kingmho Posts: 37
    Folks who have/pose with bikes, but don't actually ride them: bikengers.