Time Trials and Wind

jfwall
jfwall Posts: 41
OK so if it's windy it's windy and you just need to grin and bear it but what's everyones thoughts on if it's a straight out tail wind out and head wind back? Should you go all out and take advantage of the tail wind out and just give it what you can on the way back. Or should you leave yourself some in reserve for the head wind. Only reason I suggest that I might favour the former is that at slower speeds winds don't really have the same effect IMHO so battling at 15mph home is probably going to be after a 30mph outward leg in a decent wind.

Any thoughts, or should you use your HRM and pace yourself to that rather than speed. As you might of guessed it's my first T/T of the season tonight (been injured with a broken collarbone) and it's forecast strong winds in the NW.

Thanks

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I would still try and pace with not going out too fast. I would use the tailwind to get some good speed up, but would probably hold back just a little, and then really push it hard coming back.

How fast is the wind supposed to be tonight.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    trouble with headwids is, at the crucial corner where they should become tailwinds is they always change direction at that point and you have a headwind on the way back! :roll:

If you save a little in the tank for the return, at least iof this happens you will be prepared, and if you have a tailwind

whoooooooooossssshhhhh.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • jfwall
    SBezza wrote:
    I

How fast is the wind supposed to be tonight.

Apparently 20mph with possible 40mph gusts but can't see it being that bad...

Thanks
  • SBezza
    Well if it is a full on tailwind, you should be able to get some decent speed up without expending too much energy, and then when you go into the headwind, just push as hard as possible, and get as aero as possible.

Hopefully by having saved some energy, you should be able to push a decent speed for the return leg without losing too much time. If you have pushed extremely hard on the out leg, you will suffer massively on the return leg I would imagine. You are likely to lose more time in the headwind, if you have pushed yourself too hard on the out leg, than you will have gained with the wind assistance.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    It's your first tt, so don't worry about it, whatever the wind speed/direction you'll get a pb.

You've got a lot more to think about than how to ride the wind in your first tt. I'd start looking at wind speed and direction and tactics in a bit more detail once you've done a few.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    The way to do it is by using a constant power output for the whole event .
    There should`nt be an easy half or a hard half.
    It should be just as hard all the time. The only difference being into te wind ,you`ll be going slower.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    SBezza wrote:
    when you go into the headwind, just push as hard as possible, and get as aero as possible.

You should still get in a tuck in a tailwind too.

Unless the wind is faster than your maximum possible speed (spinning the highest gear out), you should be able to get to that particular speed very easily, so going faster than the wind speed would create drag as the net drag would be above zero.

Also, when wind hits you, it's knocked in all directions, almost unpredictably, and can still create drag/turbulence.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    was windy out there tonight but still manged a PB..................just!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • In general, wind should be largely ignored from an optimal time power pacing perspective. Maybe a fraction harder than average power into headwind, a fraction less with tailwind.

But not a lot more/less than the average you are capable of sustaining for the duration.

IOW - just accept the different speeds that result from the same effort level.
  • SBezza
    Bhima wrote:
    SBezza wrote:
    when you go into the headwind, just push as hard as possible, and get as aero as possible.

You should still get in a tuck in a tailwind too.

I know that :roll: , I actually race TT's rather than just ride up and down a road. :lol:
  • SBezza
    If you have no power meter, you have to go on feel, and you ideally will start off easier anyhow and wind it up for the duration of the TT, so rather than go like a bullet out the gun with the tailwind, just ease back a little.

With a power meter I can understand keeping at a constant power, not so easy to judge on HR or feel alone however. The wind doesn't really bother me so much, used to it by now :lol: . I managed to get a 25 PB on Wednesday night, and that was a bit blustery in Kent as well.
  • jfwall
    Thanks for everyones comments and it was certainly windy last night, I missed my PB by 1.30min but this was probably more due to I only started training again last week after 10wks out with broken collarbone.

I was absolutely dead with the last 4ms into a very steady headwind but as most people seemed to be well down on their PBs I'll live and get some more training under my belt before the next TT.
  • Consistent wind on an out and back course will slow you down overall. There are some very small exceptions to that ROT but they are pretty rare.