Ghost Bikes..

thekickingmule
thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
edited June 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Whilst looking at another post that someone put up in another thread, I spotted this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8106747.stm

Anybody seen any of them about?
It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
Blender Cube AMS Pro

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Never seen one.

Not sure I like it tbh. Probably just discourages average Joe from getting out on two wheels.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as a driver and a cyclist i find them dangerous.
    driving along and i see a bike. what is it doing? nothing? looks like its a bit "dead" why is it white.. all this time i have not been aware of the traffic around me at an accident point.

I wonder how many non cycling drivers actually know what they are?

Sorry but I think there must be better ways of highlighting a death or paying respects to a fallen cyclist.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    nicklouse wrote:
    as a driver and a cyclist i find them dangerous.
    driving along and i see a bike. what is it doing? nothing? looks like its a bit "dead" why is it white.. all this time i have not been aware of the traffic around me at an accident point.

I wonder how many non cycling drivers actually know what they are?

Sorry but I think there must be better ways of highlighting a death or paying respects to a fallen cyclist.

Yes, I agree nicklouse. They would be a distraction.

But I must admit they are quite hard-hitting thought provokers...

Not got anything like that in Chester.
    What we have got are bikes that have been sprayed totally silver and have what looks like flower pot holders in place of the top-tubes. No flowers in them when I last saw them. There is a mans mtb, womans mtb and a kids bike lined up on the grass verge by the Northgate Arena, and another one on the fountain round-a-bout. Very peculiar.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I like the idea but as Nick says the practicalities are a bit hit and miss. I read the article at lunch time and it does say that they disappear almost as quickly as they go up.

I think I'd prefer ghost drivers at the side of the road. Any driver caught killing a cyclist should be nailed to two bits of wood, spray painted white and erected at the site of their crime. That might make a few people think abit. Seriously though, it's been said before and it doesn't just apply to cyclists, until the law takes killing with a car as seriously as killing with a gun it will continue.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Si78 wrote:
    Not got anything like that in Chester.
    What we have got are bikes that have been sprayed totally silver and have what looks like flower pot holders in place of the top-tubes. No flowers in them when I last saw them. There is a mans mtb, womans mtb and a kids bike lined up on the grass verge by the Northgate Arena, and another one on the fountain round-a-bout. Very peculiar.

In Leicester, there's a car on the approach to the town centre, in the middle of the road (there's a big grass divide I might add!!), that been stripped down to the bodywork, and chassis, has been filled with mud and flowers!!?

It's very odd, and STILL don't know what it's about!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Sounds a bit distracting & off-putting. I'm currently really p*ssed off at all the bright yellow 'biker crash zone' & '15 bikers killed here' signs littering the Peak District & spouting ridiculously out of context figures.

Do these idiots have any idea how hard it is to concentrate on riding a motorbike smoothly & safely when you're being bombarded by fluorescent yellow DEATH! BIKERS DIE HERE! YOU'RE GOING TO DIE! on every apex?

Not to mention ruining the countryside.

There was something similar on the A14 proclaiming how many hundred people had been rust on it - the road's about 300miles long, of course it'll have a high number of accidents, but is it a lot per mile? Who knows!

Sorry, riles me.
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • There was one up on Devils Dyke on the South Downs until the council removed it in April. It was there in memoroy of a cyclist who got killed in April 2007. I didn't see it, though.
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08