Rides Around Manchester

zoglug
zoglug Posts: 212
Hi everyone,

After 4 weeks and around 350 miles on my fantastic Allez, ive decided now is maybe the time to start venturing out about. All of my miles so far have been done on inner city roads, which i admit are not ideal in the slightest so now im looking at getting out in the country side.

Im wondering if anyone has any links to maps, or even just some directions of decent routes around 40 miles + as id like to stretch my legs a bit. I have a car as well, so i may be able to get my bike in the back and travel a little but preferably id like some which i can go from my doorstep (which is in Ashton-Under-Lyne).

Cheers

Zog
iamwhatiam.gif

Comments

• sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Zog

Just look on the routes link on the tab bar above there are loads you can do - flat out in to cheshire or west lancs, if you want the hills you have so many choices

Just click on the "routes & Riding " tab
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A good way to find new rides is by joining a club and going on club runs.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    How about:

Stalybridge, B6175 through Mossley, turn right onto the A635 at Roaches, climb Saddleworth Moor, descend to Holmfirth, turn left onto the B6107 up through Netherthong, Meltham, Holt Head, descend towards Marsden but take the left turn just before you get to the A62 and take the much quieter little road out of Marsden up round the side of the golf course, left onto the A62 higher up, as you start to descend off Standedge, turn left onto some lovely undulating lanes through Diggle to Tunstead to get back onto the A635 and go back the way you came out.

That route should be about 40 miles and has a bit of everything - long climbs and descents, short steep stuff, fast roads, slow country roads.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    There's loads of MCR riders on here. :shock:

Holmfirth is a good one. My mate used to live on Ashton Old Road and did this all the time: www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=10067
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    yup, holme moss either way is the obvious challenge.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • zoglug
    Cheers guys this helps!

@ NapD - a cycling club is something im going to look into once i have completed my Manchester - Blackpool bike ride. The Manchester Wheelers are my local club and i am currently ensuring i can maintain good speed over 40 - 60 miles before diving in, just so i hopefully dont get left behind all to often. I never thought id be interested in joining a club but the idea of meeting like minded people and wanting to better myself is driving me to.
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    We'd probably do a hilly 60 in 4 hours or so but we wait for people at the top of climbs so you should be ok :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • zoglug
    Well im giving the above ride a go tonight, should be interesting, 8 miles home from work, then 40 miles around here! Guarenteed ill get lost at some point, but thats part of the fun!
    iamwhatiam.gif
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    A few of us are doing Holme Moss on Saturday if anyone's interested.