Help me spend my money plz!

rokkala
rokkala Posts: 649
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Hello.

Looking for a new road bike and budget of around £1200-£1500 to spend. Had current bike for about 3 years or so which was bought as a present. Think its just the standard ribble frame(one thats normally in blue!), had a triple campagnolo groupset and mavic aksium wheels.

Anyway, looking ideally for a carbon bike now, was looking at going for a shimano ultegra compact double groupset. But rather anxious about choosing a few things. Was quite sure i was going to get Ribble Sportive Race but seem a few disparaging comments about Ribble equipment in here, though not anything saying exactly why it's supposedly inferior? If i did go down the Ribble road, anybody know if the Nero Corsa/Ribelle Carbon road frame by them are better than the Sportive or not?
Or can i get better/same specced carbon bikes elsewhere(that look good too), for the same sort of money?

Is the extra £100 quid or so for ultegra over 105 worth it too?

Also have not much clue what to look for in regards to choosing handlebars, anybody got any recommendations?

Take into account I get out on the bike about 5 times a week anywhere between 10-80 miles, do some sportives and charity events, might look to join a cycle club and see what else they do too.

A lot of asks i know, but any advice would be much appreciated, especially if you can give me reasons rather than just a statement :D

Thankyou!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd push for the extra 100 quid and get a planet X with full new Dura Ace...
  • rokkala
    Just don't like the aesthetics of the Planet-X Carbon bikes unfortunately. Not something that would make me smile everytime i looked at it. Different folks, different strokes and all that.

Think ive decided just to go for the Ribble Sportive Racing, thought it now seems they don't offer the Ultegra double in compact, although the Campy Centaur is. Is there any downsides to the Centuar over the Ultegra groupset?
  • Anonymous
    I'm in agreement there about the looks.

Regarding the Centaur there are no downsides compared to Ultegra as far as I know. In fact a lot of people (particularly Campag fanboys) reckon it's better.

I have Ultegra on my winter/trainer and I really like it.

I'm sure I'd like Centaur too...
  • rokkala
    What you got on your other bike?

Also coming back to point in original post, any good websites where i can assess any appreciable differences in handlebars?

The Ribble Sportive is specced with Deda Big Piega Oversize Handlebars. I just don't really know what makes a good set of bars as such, whats worth extra outlay etc.
  • Anonymous
    SRAM Red on one and on the TT a mix of Dura Ace, Ultegra and FSA.

Best bet with bars is to go to an LBS and try a few on the bikes on display!
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    At that price range the spec on a Ribble is hard to beat. I've not seen a bad review of them, but having never seen one in the flesh I can't say much about the looks or quality. I'm sure you could also pick up a Planet X Ti bike at that price...... looks that will stay classicly good for years
  • rokkala
    Cheers you two. I'll head into Glasgow try a couple of the bike shops in there for handlebars.

Oh while im at it, might as well pick your brains on this. Unsure of what crank length to be going with when getting the new bike. Any good way of knowing what size to order other than going and riding every different length? Seems a lot of contradictory information out there on the internet.

Current bike has 175mm cranks. When i first bought HRM with cadence sensor month or so back my average cadence was around 68, that has risen and now seems to be levelling at around the low 80's on average. Power has never been a problem for me, would dropping to 172.5 cranks be a good idea you reckon? Inside leg is 34" if thats any use at all. Or any other info you would need to help?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the carbon Boardmans have had some very good reviews, and dare I say it, the latest Treks are certainly candidates. The Spesh Tarmac must also be on the short list. I've not ridden any of these by the way :wink:

Personally, I'd be tempted with a VN Euros and a custom build. Would come in a tad more than 1500 and not carbon obviously but worth it in the long run IMO. Just my 10p.

175s sound right for your height. Just learn to pedal faster :wink:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rokkala
    Yea boardmans look to have some nice kit with it, but again, just don't like the look of the thing. Spec Tarmac is a nice looking bike, but is bit more expensive and seems to always come with shimano 105 for the dearer price.

VN look very good bikes, but i think if i was buying for them i would be going for a bike for life kind of thing, and spec it accordingly. So maybe next time! =]

Ha yea thought that might be the case regarding the cadence :D its getting there, just slowly! Hopefully new bike will help with that, prob end up weighing about half what current one does! :D There any sort of theory/formula/guidance u used to say 175mm should be correct for 34" inseam, 5'11"? Or it just based on experience?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    have a look on the main site, there is a pretty comprehensive review of bikes in your price range - the Giant (TCR ??) comes out tops according to the quality of the frame, the time speedster and Wilier Mortirolo are rated highly as well - as is the ribble sportive

best way to increase your cadence is to use a lower gear :) I know that sounds facile, it takes some getting used to but if you have a cadence monitor equipped puter on your new bike you'll know if you're getting there, but 80s aint that low

enjoy your new bike !
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • maddog 2
    there are a few versions, e.g.

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/b ... lator.html

suggests a 173mm for you

whereas this one is around 21% of your inseam, or about 180mm

http://www.tallcyclist.com/crank-length-calculator/

The idea of modelling crank length it is clearly sensible and useful but there are other factors at work, such as thigh bone length, cadence, flexibility, bike type, age, whether you wear Rapha* and so on, so it's a guide more than a rule. Experimentation is the key. Find something that fits and you can spin and you're pretty much there.

*this has not been tested experimentally, as far as I can tell
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • rokkala
    Cheers, gonna go have a look around a couple of lbs at weekend first. Stock Specialized, Giant and Wilier among others so gonna try get few test rides and what not!

On that note, stupid question prob but, if i rock up to a lbs and they let me test the bike, do i just wear normal shoes and use them on the clip-in pedals or take my bike shoes along?!
  • Take your own shoes and pedals is easiest.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Surely if you go for the ribble you can pick and choose you own spec? Which is a real bonus.

When you say: ''Was quite sure i was going to get Ribble Sportive Race but seem a few disparaging comments about Ribble equipment in here, though not anything saying exactly why it's supposedly inferior?'' am not sure what you mean? IMO the finishing kit (i agree is important) but the main aspects should be the frame, wheels, and gropset? I think most gripes are about service but they have been snowed under with the new bike orders.

As for my ribble I did have a long wait, (I even moaned on this forum) but there no way I would have got a bike as good from a LBS without spending at least £2000. (I did look) I paid 1500. Have you seen my photos? As you appear to keep saying looks are important, and if you like the look of the ribble whats really stopping you?

Also consider that C+ recently reviewed the sportive and only gave it a 8 out of 10 despite heavily marking it down for the deep section pro lite wheels. ( I have said before this was a odd decision as their speced bikes didn't come set up like that and you can spec your own normal wheels anyway). It also made the finalist list in bike of the year. Whats there not to like? When you look at the pro and cons surely the +'s out weigh the negs by a long way?
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • maddog 2
    the Ribble may well be a good bike, as might the Boardman. They might even be slightly superior to the competition, in various ways.

But purchasing decisions - especially those above a grand I suspect - are also influenced by aspiration, and for want of a better phrase, how cool the bike is perceived to be. And Ribble and Boardman don't score highly on this I suspect.

If I had a 1500 to spend then I'd certainly struggle to spend it on a Boardman or a Ribble, as I just don't aspire to own one.