Anyone ride Markeaton Park Derby?

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited June 2009 in Routes
I was riding a short peice of singletrack to the left of the golf course in Markeaton Park in Derby and came across this in the centre of the trail:

log.jpg

Initially I had thought it to be an attempt to disrupt cyclists from riding there, however when i tried to move the log i found that it was stuck on this:

metal%20spike.jpg

So I can only assume that someone had actually put it there to prevent damage to bikes and their riders from the odd metal spike in the ground, which was a breathe of fresh air :D To the side of the trail where the spike was I found a pair of these:

glasses%20found.jpg

I figured that these belong to the nice person who put the log there and after looking them up online here They seem to have an RRP of around £30. Would love to return them to their rightful owner and possibly find a riding partner in the process :D

Let me know if you or anyone that you know might ride in that area, and if so do you/they want the glasses back.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    there not mine
    but i have seen that spike before and my little bro got a flat from it :evil: had to sit and fix it in the pissin derby rain

Markeaton Park is not half bad but

have you been to robins wood near stanton by bridge the ridings great up there
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • Kiblams
    Is Robins wood close to Sandiacre? I am unfortunatly limited to close to the city centre as I am just learning to drive.

Have been using Markeaton Park as a means of improving my XC skills for climbing and riding roots until I can get to a trail centre or countryside in general :P
  • OH NO Dan
    OH NO Dan Posts: 186
    I remember Markeaton Park as a young nipper, never really thought of riding there. I do remember lots of woodland and tracks that would be good on a bike so might pop up one day.

Is the metal spike completely dug into the ground? :shock:
  • Kiblams
    OH NO Dan wrote:
    Is the metal spike completely dug into the ground? :shock:

It looks to be the end of some sort of pole or metal tubing, so could be metres under the ground with the 2/3 inches above ground that I can see.

The woodland trail that I like to ride is the one that runs parallel to the A52 and runs close to the boundary wal, I beleive that part of it is used in the markeaton Park CX races. It isn't very long at all though, but it has some good XC features to ride. It's worth a trip down there to have a bash, but don't get your hopes too high :wink:

Last year some local 'gravity' riders built part of the singletrack into dirt jumping, but this week most of the 'humps' are gone.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    When you say riding partner, I assume you are talking about bike partner and not the link below....

Markeaton Park

I personally wouldnt take to hangin around there. Also to be honest, its shite. I know the section of singletrack your talking about... its crap and over before you get peddling!

Drop me a PM if you fancy a trip up sherwood pines or a tank around Derby.
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    hey dude its not it is relativly near to melbourne send me a pm and ill show you where it is i could do with someone to ride with : :D
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    Seems I have stumbled upon some people close to where I am. Been wanting to know of somoene places close to Sandiacre to go riding. Anyone know of anywhere I can ride to from Sandiacre?

Got a few suggestions when posted in the routes section but seems there might be some people here who may be able to help me.

Cheers guys and apologies to kiblams for hijacking your post (also, good man for wanting to return those glasses, many people would have just kept them).
  • keirtristan
    keirtristan Posts: 296
    Think I need to apologies again, seems that this post has now been moved to "routes" despite the original post not actually being about routes and should belong in "General".
  • Kiblams
    Cheers guys and apologies to kiblams for hijacking your post (also, good man for wanting to return those glasses, many people would have just kept them).

The jesture is not as altuistic as it seems, I wear prescription glasses so can't really wear them :P

I believe that most of the places mentioned in this thread are on your side of the city centre if you are in Sandiacre.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Seems I have stumbled upon some people close to where I am. Been wanting to know of somoene places close to Sandiacre to go riding. Anyone know of anywhere I can ride to from Sandiacre?

Got a few suggestions when posted in the routes section but seems there might be some people here who may be able to help me.

Try Bramcote Hills for a bit of a play about. You should be able to get there all the way along the old canal paths.
  • iain1775
    iain1775 Posts: 98
    starting from markeaton I have a good ride out to Kedleston and across towards Osmaston Park nr Ashborne / Muggington way.
    Or you can head up towards the Chevin (Belper)
    Robin Woods is bikable from Derby- take the Sustrans route (6) out towards the causeway and then pick up bridleways around Ticknall (to do the ride there and back and around is about 70km, its e real good workout!)
    PM me with email and I can forward you some maps of the local rides I do
    Try also Allestree Park - some good bits to play on there and some dirt jumps, just be careful to locals dont like people biming in the woods!