Conti Race Kings or other XC race tyre recommendations?

Slow1972
Slow1972 Posts: 362
edited August 2009 in XC and Enduro
Not done any competitive mountain biking for quite a while, currently got some Panaracer XC Fire Pro's on (1.9's I think)

Been reading reviews and trying to get recommendation for a fast rolling tyre, assuming dryish conditions mix of single track and associated tree roots, packed soil, grass and some fire roads.

What about Conti Race Kings? If so, 2.0 or 2.2? Standard or Supersonic (I don't want to be puncturing and I'll be using tubes) What sort of pressures to you run at? (I weigh about 12 st btw)

How are panaracer razer's as an alternative? Any other suggestions?

Any advice greatfully received :)

Comments

• stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    For dry - Racing Ralphs as a pair

For semi-dry Racing Ralph rear, Rocket Ron front

Having tried double Rocket Ron's last night on the road I can honestly say that they pretty quick for a grippy-ish tyre. Not Ralph quick, but for given grip compared to the Ralph they are faster if you get me.
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • gpsBRM
    gpsBRM Posts: 123
    Michelin XCR Dry2 if you can find them. Better than Racing Ralph by long shot IMO. Tried Racing Ralph the other weekend and they understeer massively when on the front, even in the dry. OK on the rear. Have run the Michelin XCR Dry2 for 3 seasons now and can't fault them. Even ok in the Mud, I ran them @ last years dusk til Dawn which was very wet and muddy.

Rocket Rons' are very good and have been running one on the front this year, with an XCR Dry2 on the back (becuase I ripped a tyre @ enduro 6 and had to purchase one there). Very grippy and light weight. Wear out quick though and not as fast rolling as the XCR.
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    Raceking 2.2 supersonics tubeless stunning grip and fast.

i run 22psi and 25psi i weigh 75Kg
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    I would not recommend Michelin XCR dry.

I recently bought a pair and after one race up at Laggan the rear was looking ropey, with big chunks already missing from the knobs. Fair enough, Laggan was quite a rocky course, but I would expect them to look good after their first outing.
    Their second outing, at 10-under-the-Ben, pretty much finished the back one off, and it went in the bin.
    The front is still usable, but I have removed it for the moment.

Grip and weight competitive, but I would expect a race tyre to last a full season at least.
  • mattbarnes
    mattbarnes Posts: 295
    I'm running Maxxis Larsen TT 'exception series' and can recommend them. The closely spaced, triangle-shaped knobs mean they roll fast on hardpacked surfaces but provide plenty of grip when needed. They aren't as expensive as the likes of the Schwalbes and the ones I got only weigh 385g (each)! :wink:
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • Slow1972
    Cheers guys, have ended up plumping for some Panaracer Razer PR's for the little extra weight the puncture protection gives

Just got to get 'em on the rims and give 'em a bit of a blast tomorrow night at a few different pressures so I can see how I get on with 'em

Will try the lower pressure thing, never used to drop my pressure much below 45 psi before so will be interesting to see what effect it has on these lower profile type tyres
  • cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    streako wrote:
    Fair enough, Laggan was quite a rocky course,

you obviously dont ride proper trails very often, there are hardly any rocks at laggan, compared to any natural riding centre. there are hardly any rocks in laggan full stop!
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Good choice on razers---I got a pair a few months ago and they seem to do well on all terrain except sloppy mud and roll fast, quite comfy too as big volume. enjoy! :D
  • Slow1972
    Out of interest James, what sort of pressure are you running them at? cheers
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I`ve started at 40 psi (I weigh 12.5 st) but I`ve found that thsi makes them too `bouncy`, skittery :( so i`ve taken pressure down to 35-37 and find they handle much better :) , track ground / rocks more smoothly; this is at low end of mfr recommended range 35-55 but I could never see me running them at top end as they would bounce off everything.
    From my knowledge of 2.3 tyres I was surprised at the highish pressures recommended for a large volume XC tyre, I normally run 2.1 s at 40 psi for example, and for Mich XCR AT which are a big volume 2.1 37ish was OK :D
  • Slow1972
    Cheers James, I'm a similar weight so I'll have a play around in those pressure ranges, nice one :)
  • streako
    streako Posts: 2,937
    cullen_bay wrote:
    streako wrote:
    Fair enough, Laggan was quite a rocky course,

you obviously dont ride proper trails very often, there are hardly any rocks at laggan, compared to any natural riding centre. there are hardly any rocks in laggan full stop!

I am actually quite an experienced mountain biker who rides both "Proper" trails(whatever that means), and trails that are, er, not proper?

I thought Laggan was a rocky course, and judging by the number of punctured racers, I wasnt the only one.

I am only speaking from experience and I say the rear tyre was pretty worn after 1 race. This information may be useful to someone else reading this post.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    gezzza wrote:
    Raceking 2.2 supersonics tubeless stunning grip and fast.

i run 22psi and 25psi i weigh 75Kg

+1
    Small world i,m the same weight and and run the pressure 8)
    Loving the race kings scrubbed 12-14 min off my test loop so well happy with them and they corner so much better than the Racing Ralphs i try'd i found the RR's washed out to easily in corners especially when i loaded up the front ???
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    What are the schawlbe's and contis like on the pavement?

I had nobby nics and they wore so so fast.

I like the supersonics, but not paying 60.00 for 3 months wear.

Thanks guys.

10 miles a day on road
    cwmcarn and afan on weekend
  • Racing Ralph rear, Rocket Ron Front is the combo loads of ppl are running, myself ive got a pair of rocket Rons and they're quickest things ive tried and relatively grippy on all but wet off camber grass...! If its dry smooth single track have heard furious freds are unbelievably quick but puncture prone..!

Interestingly tho if ur planning on running tubeless all the Shwalbes are bout 200gms heavier and the weight savings are negated
    Couple of 5 spots, a hummer and a handjob.....