Alcohol free beer!

BigDarbs
BigDarbs Posts: 132
Just thought this may be of use to someone. In an effort to continue my improving form and get my cat 3, I have cut alcohol out almost completely, however I have replaced it with an alcohol free beer from Morrisons supermarkets that tastes quite good! I tried a few different types before I found this and It is certainly much better than Kaliber, own brands etc,

It is called Bavaria, sold in a pack of 4 for £1.49, and if well chilled is actually quite a nice drink. This week I have been sat out in the garden in the evenings, drinking a can or 3 of Bavaria, all very pleasant!

It contains mineral water, barley malt, wheat, hops and 0% alcohol. Only 25Kcals per can vs 165KCals for a can of Carling! :D

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    BigDarbs wrote:
    Just thought this may be of use to someone. In an effort to continue my improving form and get my cat 3, I have cut alcohol out almost completely, however I have replaced it with an alcohol free beer from Morrisons supermarkets that tastes quite good! I tried a few different types before I found this and It is certainly much better than Kaliber, own brands etc,

It is called Bavaria, sold in a pack of 4 for £1.49, and if well chilled is actually quite a nice drink. This week I have been sat out in the garden in the evenings, drinking a can or 3 of Bavaria, all very pleasant!

It contains mineral water, barley malt, wheat, hops and 0% alcohol. Only 25Kcals per can vs 165KCals for a can of Carling! :D

Maybe not such a good idea? Most of the racers I know can't get by without their beer. :wink::wink:
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    The alcohol is the best bit !
    Shazam !!
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    I haven't drank for 3.5 years, and I'm 21 years old. Gave up 4 months after my 18th birthday as I saw it as a massive waste of time effort and money, but each to their own.

If others wish to give up drinking but still feel like they're pissing the same of money down the drain each week, I'll PM you my address and you can send it to me so I can buy a nice new road bike every few months ;)
  • DomPro
    jonmack wrote:
    I haven't drank for 3.5 years, and I'm 21 years old. Gave up 4 months after my 18th birthday as I saw it as a massive waste of time effort and money, but each to their own.

If others wish to give up drinking but still feel like they're pissing the same of money down the drain each week, I'll PM you my address and you can send it to me so I can buy a nice new road bike every few months ;)

You sound like a bundle of laughs :P
    Shazam !!
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    You'll be eating vegtarian roast chicken next
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I've seen some ads in a German sports magazine for an isotonic sports beer. If you believe their claims it is the wonder drink that sorts all sports nutrition in a single bottle. http://www.erdinger-alkoholfrei.de/index.php?file=sport&aktiv=sport
  • FatLarry
    FatLarry Posts: 209
    Well done jonmack for realising what it took me another 20 years to work out...

I haven't given up alcohol altogether but I have cut it down to the odd pint with a curry at the weekend and on special occasions. I feel so much better as a result and when I do have a pint I REALLY savour it - without craving more.

FWIW I've also just discovered Quorn sausages. They taste a bit like Spam, are packed full of protein, virtually fat free and 60 calories a shot.

I guess in some people's eyes that makes me a bit dull too?
    Haven't tried the veggie chicken option yet, though. Maybe I should...
  • Chrisw1980
    Chrisw1980 Posts: 39
    I have had a long battle with Alcohol and after alot of problems from losing my house to losing my dog (the wife went to "bonus" ) because of alcohol, I too started drinking alcohol free beer as a substitute it took alot of will power and a strong women to guide me as i was drinking early in the morning and when ever or what ever it was didnt matter. But that stuff was a great substitute and helped me alot and tasted great too!
  • BigDarbs
    BigDarbs Posts: 132
    Chrisw1980 wrote:
    I have had a long battle with Alcohol and after alot of problems from losing my house to losing my dog (the wife went to "bonus" ) because of alcohol, I too started drinking alcohol free beer as a substitute it took alot of will power and a strong women to guide me as i was drinking early in the morning and when ever or what ever it was didnt matter. But that stuff was a great substitute and helped me alot and tasted great too!

That must have been very tough, glad to hear you're out the other side of it now. I had a guy who worked for me a few years ago who had alchohol problems and I saw how hard things got for him.

I was nowhere near that stage, but I found that I would sit down in the evening with my wife watching TV, and realised I was opening a couple of beers just to drink while I relaxed for an hour. I realised it wasn't the alchohol I was after, it was just something to drink. So I tried plain water, cordial juice, appetise, diet coke (both too fizzy) orange and cranberry juice (dentist warned against too much because of high sugar content!) and eventually found Bavaria, alchohol free!
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I occasionally drink alcohol free beer but this one.

http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/product_in ... ucts_id=78

It is not at all bad.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    jonmack wrote:

No - you send me the money you've saved and i'll organise a big pi.ss up. :P
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Oops, sorry. I thought you said alcohol AND free beer. I was in, for a moment.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    DomPro wrote:
    jonmack wrote:

You sound like a bundle of laughs :P

Hi there.

Why the stigma against people who choose not to drink?

DomPro - do you need to have a drink to have a laugh? What does that say?

Cheers, Andy
  • FatLarry
    Well, there I was in Tesco an hour ago fetching something for dinner... and, without looking, guess what I saw... Bavaria Alcohol Free Beer!!!

Slightly spooked by the coincidence I had to buy a pack. Stuck one in the freezer and here I am enjoying a glass of ice cold alcohol free beer.

BigDarbs, you were right - it tastes good! So, thank you...

... but, beware the Calorie Police... I think it's 25 calories per 100ml. Not per can. That would be too good to be true :cry:
  • FatLarry
    Oh, and I forgot to say... also bought a pack of Quorn Chicken Style Pieces to put into a stir fry tomorrow.

So there.
  • DomPro
    I tried the Becks alco-free beer once after a friend got some on accident. It didn't taste as good as the real thing imo.
    Shazam !!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    +1 on the Bavaria beer - they sell it in Sainsbury's too. Nicer than the Becks and Cobra 0% beers.