Castleton (Peak District) routes

Mrs Toast
Mrs Toast Posts: 636
edited June 2009 in Routes
For reasons that escape me, I've volunteered to take my mother away to the Peak District for a week. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some biking done in the evening whilst she's watching Coronation Street or other similar pap. Can anyone recommend any routes around there? Restrictions are:

1) I'm rubbish, so they have to be fairly tame - possibly a bit of a tall order for the Peaks? :lol: Trail centre-wise, I'm at an easy red sort of level. I've never ridden rugged natural stuff, as I live in a very flat farmed area. I don't mind having to get off the bike every now and again, but I'd rather be riding the bike rather than pushing it! :P

2) I'll also be riding on my own, so no routes through local dogging spots, ta very much!

3) Routes no longer than 1-2 hours long, and starting/ending in Castleton village. Any longer and my mother will complain.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Struggling to think of anything that meets yor criteria!! Castleton is right in the heart of it all, so there's plenty to go at... But all the rides we do are longer, and most end up having a techy bit in them...There are decent routes up Mam Torr, lovely views from the cross. Ride up over the top to Eldon hill, down Oxlow Rake and Cavedale... But, if you are in Casstleton, you can walk up Cavedale... Coming down it on a bike, is fun if a bit sketchy and downright scarey in places.. The shops in Castleton ( or up the road in Hope) may well be a better bet, Eighteen bikes may be able to help with easier routes.. Failing that, if you can get a copy of Dark Peak mountain biking- true grit trails.... That will show you all the routes available. Ladybower aint too far away, and may offer better trails for the level at which you describe.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    You want a truncated version of something like: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ca ... olmes-loop

From the link, zoom in to Castleton (Start) and going clockwise up to the green mark - look across at the red mark. That would be a nice small starter loop but you'd need local knowledge to know for sure if you can join the two points (legally). So I'd go with ratty, there will be a ton of local knowledge in the town centre and I'd head for places like Eighteen bikes to put you on a nice doable loop.

CastletonStart.png
  • Theres quite a few routes on here you might be interested in, im slowly working my way through them. Most of them are pretty long tho, but you could easily shorten some of them if you wanted.

There is some tough stuff in the peaks and lots of chances to hurt yourself lol, whenever im going out alone i take it a little easier as sometimes its a while before you see anybody and i wouldnt wanna get hurt and stranded.

http://www.mtbsharp.co.uk/routes/peaks/dark_peak/index.html
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    You want a truncated version of something like: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ca ... olmes-loop

From the link, zoom in to Castleton (Start) and going clockwise up to the green mark - look across at the red mark. That would be a nice small starter loop but you'd need local knowledge to know for sure if you can join the two points (legally). So I'd go with ratty, there will be a ton of local knowledge in the town centre and I'd head for places like Eighteen bikes to put you on a nice doable loop.

CastletonStart.png
    That route uses at least 2 illegal trails!!!At the end of hollowgate road it goes on the path then goes right then left up to Hollins cross,that is a FP the BW goes left and straight up to Hollins cross.It also uses a FP near to Fairholmes.Bikely and MTB sharp both post routes using FPs instead of BWs.I've emailed MTB sharp in the past,but the routes are posted bty riders and some riders either ride FPs or don't realise they're riding FPs.
  • blister pus
    Was just to give an idea of a truncated loop. I did say something like and legally and to use local knowledge from reputable sources (bike shop / tourist information place). :D

There'll be a nice local 5 - 10 mile loop for mtb's just a case of getting the map out and asking locally. I'd be tempted to phone 18bikes up and have a chat with them well in advance they'll at least point you in the right direction.
  • sniper68
    Was just to give an idea of a truncated loop. I did say something like and legally and to use local knowledge from reputable sources (bike shop / tourist information place). :D

There'll be a nice local 5 - 10 mile loop for mtb's just a case of getting the map out and asking locally. I'd be tempted to phone 18bikes up and have a chat with them well in advance they'll at least point you in the right direction.
    Sorry mate,didn't read your post properly.
    As said contact 18bikes in Hope,the problem is its fairly rugged around Castleton and the Hope vally so if you're not confident on the rough stuff theres a few quite roads and the Limestone Way nearby.
  • Mrs Toast
    ibbo68 wrote:

Sorry mate,didn't read your post properly.
    As said contact 18bikes in Hope,the problem is its fairly rugged around Castleton and the Hope vally so if you're not confident on the rough stuff theres a few quite roads and the Limestone Way nearby.

I'll have a look around, what could possibly go wrong?! :lol: Tried to get hold of that Dark Peak trails book (might be useful as we're hoping to move up that way), but Waterstones said they couldn't get it in until next week. I'll have to see if I can pick up a copy whilst I'm up there.
  • sniper68
    try here
    http://www.v-outdoor.co.uk/products/mou ... ing_cd.php
    They have the book and cd 8) Straight from the source :D
  • blister pus
    Right-E-ho-ho-ho.

I was due to call 18bikes anyway, so just phoned inquiring after a possible demo date for the Ragley's and dropped in your situation at the end. Basically the tourist information in Castleton will point you toward them anyway. So if you call in they have local guide books and maps, they have an OS map on the wall and they obviously ride the area and know all the bridleways and would be willing to sort you out some local bridleways that don't involve epic dimensions. So you should be sorted for at least some local riding if you head there.
  • Mrs Toast
    That’s fantastic – checked out the route last night to 18 Cycles, it’s only a mile and a half away from where we’re staying. Just looking at pictures of people biking in the area makes me a) want to get good and b) wish I was going with t’husband instead of the mother.

Although I’ve told her that I’m taking her to the Tissington Trail (Parsley Hay) one of the days, and we’re hiring one of the bikes with the wheelchair modifications, so I can push her about!