Why Ive resisted Rocky Road and its 20 degree hill climb

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
There is a road off the Knock dual carriageway in Belfast called Rocky Road and its a 20 degree climb. :shock: I was riding past it on Sunday and decided to wheel my bike up it to evaluate it for climbing practice. Its a tough one and then some, as I walked up it and around its twists and turns, I thought to myself that its gonna be a very slow ride indeed to get up this baby and if I run out of steam , I might not have enough time to twist one foot out of the cleat and set it on the ground..............end result a del boy straight fall on my side onto the road with both feet attached to the pedals :shock: :oops:

This is a very real problem, I kid you not. With its windy twists and turns and 20 degree gradient , Rocky Road is one tough tough climb that Id love to conquer. What advice can you give me regarding this one ?

Jimmy

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Have a decent warm up, start steady rather than attacking the bottom slopes and just don't stop.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Have a bottom gear that is compatible with your level of fitness
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    Aye, i went up this one day in icey weather with hardly any grip on the back wheel. Just as mentioned, get a gear you wont have to grind and keep your weight off the front as much as possible.