Shed Alarm

thedirge
thedirge Posts: 181
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone comment on the following product or give advice around bike security in sheds?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... EALARM.htm
Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you have to keep your bikes in a shed, get a decent floor anchor and make sure the shed is physically secure. Then insure your bikes very well because sheds are very easy to break into...
  • thedirge
    Floor anchor, check. Oxford lock below, check. (opinions on lock please?)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=8489

Looking at physical security now and advice would be welcome :)

Shed is handmade, custom job, more of a lean-too. Three surrounding walls are brick.

Exposed wall and roof are inch and a half thick triple ply polycarb which is the least secure element. Its opaque so as thieves can't see the contents that may put them off a little.

The wooden door opens outwards and is secured with mortice lock into wooden frame.

I may reinforce the frame with plate steel to prevent forced kick entry. Not sure where to get say 6mm thick 50mm wide lengths of stainless steel strips, any advice recommending a retailer also welcome.

Figure an alarm deterant a wise move as when they are inside they are hidden from sight.
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • I wouldn't even bother with a shed alarm. I had my shed broken into a few years ago and all they did was rip the alarm off the wall and took out the batteries!

I'd be more tempted to fit one or two long lever 'door' locks (to prevent the thieves from forcing a padlock) as it'll mean them physically breaking the door down. You need to make sure that the shed also has a sturdy door frame too.

The other option is to find somewhere in the house to keep the bike.
    Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
    Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
    Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
    Current BMR: 2095 Calories
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    I did read somewhere somebody had fitted one of these type opf personal alarms to their shed door.

http://www.personalalarms.com/store/ero ... #1115X1117

Body of the device fitted to the inside of the shed and the cord placed on a nail on the door in a discreet position. Maybe worth a shot if the shed is your best option...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I used a PIR alarm with remote control, the alarm was mounted at the opposite end from the door, could only be reached by climbing over all the bikes. It only cost £12 but was very loud. This was supplemented with a PIR activated 500w security light pointing at the shed door, a ground anchor, and heavy duty security chain plus 2 d-locks. The security was never tested so no evidence to say how good it would be, but I think there was plenty of dissuasion built in to my regime.
  • thedirge
    alfablue wrote:
    I used a PIR alarm with remote control, the alarm was mounted at the opposite end from the door, could only be reached by climbing over all the bikes. It only cost £12 but was very loud. This was supplemented with a PIR activated 500w security light pointing at the shed door, a ground anchor, and heavy duty security chain plus 2 d-locks. The security was never tested so no evidence to say how good it would be, but I think there was plenty of dissuasion built in to my regime.

This seems to be along the lines.

I currently keep the bikes in the house, however there's not really enough room to keep them indoors. They are getting in the way.

I figure one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motion-Sensor-Ala ... 7C294%3A50

Wall mounted with a metal cage surrounding the alarm to slow down their access to the alarm?

I'll be re-inforcing the door quite a bit, however the polycarb is still the weakest point, if they want in they can get in. I just want to deter them as much as possible.

• djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Beef up the physical security first before thinking about fitting an alarm!

I wouldn’t fit these cheap alarms that have a pir in a shed, since you will most likely end up with it false alarming due to the environment. Eg shed heating up in the sun cold breeze coming under the door fa. Or it fa's at 3am due to the wind (temperature change) or mice getting in.

djrock
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I agree, beef up the security, don't rely upon the alarm - but I never got any false alarms with the cheap PIR. To me if it offered just 1% more annoyance or inconvenience to a thief it was worth the tenner. It may have done even better, maybe scaring the thief off or alerting me, but either of those would be a bonus that I couldn't rely upon.
  • put a sheet of steel on the roof and get some sort of locking mecanisme
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I use 2 cheap shed alarms from maplins about £10. 1 is a PIR the other goes on the door and sets off when the magnets are broken. No probs with them going off falsely. They are very loud.
    B&q do shed alarm sets for bout £20
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    Door contacts are fine but shed alarms with the pir can cause problems. One shed it could work perfecly fine in another it could false alarm all the time.
  • i use a steel post concreted into the ground,
    But as for an alarm , i was issued a rape alarm at work,but seeing as though im a bloke, i rigged it up in my shed.............it worked a thieving twat tried to break in set alarm off woke me and my neighbour, so i took my dog out for a midnight walk and caught the twat trying to break into another shed near by, the police were great came out straight away,but the cps in this country are a bunch of spineless pricks .....gave the thief community play scheme.
  • 2008 epic
    2008 epic Posts: 20
    It amazes me how the same people who want the best (Carbon, XTR, X0) etc will gladly spend £20 to protect it??!

An approved monitored alarm will not only be reliable it will give you an insurance discount too.

Agreed, the bike and shed needs to be physically secure to complete the package
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    Not got an alarm on my shed but, as a friend found out to his cost, the locks you use are only as strong as the door/frame you secure them to.
    He came home from work one day to find a hole had been kicked into his shed door (flimsy 9mm ply) and his chainsaw and strimmer had gone, but the 2 asp and stapple's with heavy duty padlocks were still securing the frame closed!

Make sure you have a good ground anchor to lock the steeds to, but the best piece of advice would be dont leave any handy thief assisting tools lying around in the shed. if they do manage to break in the last thing you want to do is leave a handy pair of bolt croppers or a hacksaw on the shelf.
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • thedirge
    The shed was built with polycarb as its also used as a potting shed/green house. Also yes my tools will be also kept here.

Will be running electric points into it soon so I can use tools in the shed. This will be run off a switch in the house to isolate the power when not in use.

So they can't plug my angle grinder in.... lol

Yup I was going to re-inforce the door frame with strips of plate steel, if anyone knows where to get this from or something similar that would be great.

• this is what you want on your door
    http://www.metals4u.co.uk/detail.asp?Ca ... rd_ID=2994
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • thedirge

Your a star! figure http://www.metals4u.co.uk/detail.asp?Ca ... rd_ID=2067

That to strengthen the door frame too. Fasten in place with some coach bolts http://www.screwfix.com/cats/100043/Bolts/Coach-Bolts

Yup thanks for that should help make it much more difficult getting in.

• RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    i've got a PIR sensor linked to the house alarm so even if they do rip it off the wall... too late. I've also got a floodlight fitted pointing at the shed. I've also got all the bikes chained to the floor with the anchor point wrapped around the underfloor frame of the shed. I've also got a CCTV system of which the garden and shed is covered. Frankly if they get past all that they've done well.

I'm not a security nut but it amazes me that people spend next to nothing on securing what they have. The alarm, CCTV and other goodies installed to thwart a five finger discount doesn't even come to 1% of the cost of what they protect.

My bike is nowhere near what bikes are nowadays (it's about 13 years old, rigid frame with SIS gearing etc etc) but i'd be really hacked off it was nicked....yes it's insured but I couldn't get the same bike again.

Had the crime prevention guy round when we moved into our new house a couple of years ago and he said it's not necessarily about having one great product but layered security so (as bad as it sounds) they pick an easier target.

sign o the times I guess
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • Naveed
    Naveed Posts: 728
    Rather put my gf in a shed and sleep with my bike
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    LMAO :lol:
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe