The rain

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
Anyone else get caught in that biblical downpour just now?

I was halfway back when the heavens truly opened and it stayed that way for the rest of my trip home. I got absolutely drenched, I don't think I've ever even been that wet, let alone cycled like it.

And you know what?

I loved it... I felt like a kid again. Had a big grin on my face the whole way back. I think the memory of this evening will stay with me my whole life.

I am glad I splashed out (pun intended, sorry) on Ortlieb panniers, though. Everything was completely bone dry.

Comments

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    because of the rain I had to forgo my cycle commute to work today...in a stinker of a mood as a result and taken it out on more than one doctor on the phone.

Not so bad cycling home in the wet, but cycling in in uniform in the rain, not a good move
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Missed me today, although it got me last week..... :lol:
  • topcat33
    topcat33 Posts: 57
    What rain? It's sunny and 26 degrees here?! :lol:
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    It was spitting as I rushed out of work at full speed to get to the train station before what looked to be an impending deluge.

On the whole of my train trip, there were a few drops but nothing significant. I thought I'd got away with it.

So just as I'm pulling off from the Pavement at Fenchurch St the heavens open. Great timing! :?
  • E.T.
    E.T. Posts: 6
    I sat down on Abberton Resevoir in my Faraday cage to Watch a big heavy storm go past, with that same torrential downpour = very impressive! But some poor cyclist came past me, then I saw his face. Big Grin :¬)

Mind you not a good place to be in heavy lightning storm! :roll:

You can visit me at www.reeves-cartoons.co.uk
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    I was a bit disappointed to dodge the showers. I've had a few of those "I'm 8 yrs old again " moments when riding in torrential rain, except when I'd forgotten my overshoes (?the best buy ever,nothing grimmer than wet shoes)
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Yeah I got soaked between 6-6.30pm tonight. No waterproof, just soaked to the bone but I loved it.
    Why does rain make me pedal faster?
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    We had the biblical rain yesterday. I was out walking in it.

Today we had frogs. Looking forward to some sunny weather so we can get the locusts over with.
  • Having missed hail this evening that would have stripped the paint of the bike as well as turning me to mince I don't feel so bad about leaving the bike resting in the shed while waiting for the new tyres to arrive. It looked painful out there tonight.
    Said the tiny Ant to the Elephant, "Mind how you tread in this clearing!"
    But alas, cruel fate, she was crushed by the weight, of an elephant hard of hearing!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I was so SO happy that my overshoes and race blades arrived to my work yesterday afternoon.

Had to spend 10 minutes fitting them to the bike before I could go (only the back as speedo was in the way for the front) but I was nice and comfortable. Only thing that stopped me taking my full extended route home was my lack of a front light making me next to invisible!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    I managed to get home yesterday just between the thunderstorms in Manchester -- phew!

@NGale: I'm the same, whenever I don't ride to work, I'm in terrible mood.
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • topcat33 wrote:
    What rain? It's sunny and 26 degrees here?! :lol:

And it was snowing a couple of weeks ago, got a couple of friends in the area who were complaining.

Then again my brothers just spent 12 months working in fort mac. Rather him than me :shock:
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Thunder 'n' lightening plus rain, was fun! I saw a guy with a completely flat rear sliding over the place, had to stop him to point it out!

Is it just me or are there a lot of bikes being ridden on the roads that look like they have never been cared for? :lol:
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Jamey wrote:
    Anyone else get caught in that biblical downpour just now?

I was halfway back when the heavens truly opened and it stayed that way for the rest of my trip home. I got absolutely drenched, I don't think I've ever even been that wet, let alone cycled like it.

And you know what?

I loved it... I felt like a kid again. Had a big grin on my face the whole way back. I think the memory of this evening will stay with me my whole life.

I am glad I splashed out (pun intended, sorry) on Ortlieb panniers, though. Everything was completely bone dry.

Lol - glad I wasn't the only one! Missed the hail but got the BIG downpour, instant soaking, great fun though in a wierd way.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The rain started when I was halfway home. Wonderful smell as the water landed on the hot tarmac - it reminded me of my childhood.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I'm glad you guys know what I'm talking about, thought I might be going a bit mad (but in a good way). Passed loads of cyclists who were obviously in a foul mood. Felt like just telling them to cheer up and enjoy it.
  • Stuww
    Stuww Posts: 203
    Cycled 100 miles overnight from Bristol to Exmouth on the Exmouth Exodus a week ago.

About 50 of it was in torrential rain 20 in showers and the last 30 saw the sun poke through!

It was the cold rather than the rain that caused me more problems, I heard a few dropped out with hypothermia!

A down pour on my commute seems like a doddle compared to that night!

Stu
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Gussio wrote:
    The rain started when I was halfway home. Wonderful smell as the water landed on the hot tarmac - it reminded me of my childhood.
    I love that smell! Reminds me of childhood too.

I missed the rain. I'd heard that the atlantic had dropped over my workplace about 30 mins before I left, glad I missed it, though it does bring a smile to my face too. Usually thinking 'Why do I do this again? Oh yeah, coz it's great!' :P
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yesterday I out rode the rain cloud! 7 miles from Camberwell to Wimbledon.

It helps that I was riding away from it..... :oops:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game