4th cat points

grantus
grantus Posts: 690
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
Do you need to get 10 points in one season to move up to 3rd cat or do you gather them until you get 10 - even if it takes three or four seasons - and then move up?

Comments

• JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    no just 10 points in one season to get your 3rd cat, then after that your down to 0 again until you get 2nd cat (40points\)
  • grantus
    Ok, sorry for being a bit thick - but if you get 9 points in a season do you go back to zero the next season and remain a cat 4 and have to try again to get the 10 you need or do you start your next season with the 9 from the year before then all you need is 1 to get up to 3rd?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    grantus wrote:
    if you get 9 points in a season do you go back to zero the next season and remain a cat 4
    Yep
  • grantus
  • Steady on. Answered with great confidence but look at the rules:
    "6.2.1 4th Category - new junior or senior licence holder. As
    a guide this will equate to Fun Category in Mountain
    Biking.
    6.2.2 3rd Category - To any junior or senior licence holder
    who has gained at least 10 but less than 40 points
    whilst holding a 4th category licence. As a guide this
    will equate to Sport Category in Mountain Biking.
    Riders are not downgraded to 4th category once a 3rd
    category licence has been achieved.
    6.2.3 2nd Category - To any junior or senior licence holder
    who has gained 40 points during any one season
    whilst holding a 3rd category licence. As a guide this
    will equate to Expert Category in Mountain Biking"
    "During any one season" applies to progression beyond 3rd cat. There is no time limit in 6.2.2, you just have to get 10 points whilst holding a 4th cat licence. I am not sure how you could get 40 points whilst holding a 4th cat licence though.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    You can't.

They send you a new license once you have the 10 points. In the meantime you don't get any points on your current license but can still use it to enter races.

I have known of a few people to go from cat 4 to cat 2 or even 1 in a single season.

Generally young people who have a long history of training and TLI races, then turned their hand to BC racing.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Just checked with BC membership services - points are reset to zero each season so you need 10 points within the same season to gain 3rd cat