Clipped in moments

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
...just had my first, with my daughter (age 3) in the trailer, stopped to check she was OK and couldn't get unclipped, just fell sideways

:oops: and OUCH (elbow)

Sigh

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Hope she was okay! One thing I fear with kids is falling off.....!

I had a fixie/free hub moment this morning - tried tyo freewheels as I came off a round-a-bout.....ooopps! Leg pulled straight down - schoolboy error, saved it though!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    medium_darwin.jpg
  • secretsam
    medium_darwin.jpg

Ho ho

20 year of riding with clips and straps means twisting sideways feels unnatural

I guess you get used to it

however, I'm not convinced that clipless is better than clipped

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    medium_darwin.jpg

Survival of the clippest?

(God that was bad... I may need to kill myself now)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    That was dreadful.....

..... clipless are better than toe straps/clips, at least if the straps are loose enough to enable you to get in and out of. Okay, last time I used clips I wasn't big into cycling, but clipless just let you pull up so much better. A totally different pedal stroke is enabled, certainly when out of the saddle climbing.

They probably aren't any better than proper cycling shoes with cleats and toe straps, but are a damn sight easier to get out of in a hurry.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I had another moment on Saturday night on my way home on friday.

I swerved to avoid two idiots who ran out into the road in front or me which meant in the meantime I missed the change of the lights to red. a taxi pulled out in front of me i slammed on my breaks skidded a bit and them toppled over because I couldn't get my feet unclipped quickly enough.

I now have a bruise on my elbow and knee and for some reason have a bruise on my bum which too many hairy arsed sailors offered to kiss better yesterday than I would have really liked :lol: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    The only clipped in moments I've had were with pedals and cleats similar to these. T'was when I was just starting racing in my teens and I was way too skint to afford new fangled Look pedals. Coming off at speed tightly strapped in was not pretty.
  • secretsam
    Roastie wrote:
    The only clipped in moments I've had were with pedals and cleats similar to these. T'was when I was just starting racing in my teens and I was way too skint to afford new fangled Look pedals. Coming off at speed tightly strapped in was not pretty.

OK, so clips/straps plus cleats is a recipe for road rash...but I still feel more comfortable clipped (old styleee) rather than clipless (new techie) - but I'll no doubt get accustomed to it - my only concern is that my knees are a little dicky so the twisty motion to escape is a bit of a worry

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I always remember at school (soooo long ago!) at the end of the day. All gathered at the end of the lane, kids getting on the school busses, others standing around chatting. Basically the ENTIRE school was the end of the lane (not a big school <>500 kids) One lad, on his brand new racer, with toe-clips cycles to the end of the lane to leave.... cue frantic leg action as he's now realised he's tied to the bike.

Then.... the.... slow...lean.. to.. the.... right.

Maintaining perfect position he just crunched into the road and EVERYONE roared with laughter. :lol:

Poor sod. :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • OrbitRider
    OrbitRider Posts: 78
    I've had some close ones myself, but haven't yet had a disaster. Not so a friend of mine. He was out on a leisure ride and having covered about 50 miles, he felt the need to "go". Spotting a gateway into a field up ahead, he slowed, unclipped his left foot & turned into the gateway. Unfortunately, his front wheel buried itself in thick mud & the bike stopped abruptly. He lost his balance and, you've guessed, tipped to the right. He couldn't unclip fast enough & fell over full length in a very large muddy puddle. Since he was already soaked from torrential rain, he said he just lay there and laughed.

Now I've told the story, you can bet it will be me next time.
    FCN 7 (4 weekdays)
    FCN 11 (1 weekday)

There is an old cyclist called Leigh (not me!)
    Who's pedalling's a blur to see
    So fast is his action
    The Lorenz Contraction
    Shortens his bike to a "T"
  • Deadeye Duck
    Deadeye Duck Posts: 419
    NGale wrote:
    I had another moment on Saturday night on my way home on friday.

I swerved to avoid two idiots who ran out into the road in front or me which meant in the meantime I missed the change of the lights to red. a taxi pulled out in front of me i slammed on my breaks skidded a bit and them toppled over because I couldn't get my feet unclipped quickly enough.

I now have a bruise on my elbow and knee and for some reason have a bruise on my bum which too many hairy arsed sailors offered to kiss better yesterday than I would have really liked :lol: :shock:
    Bloody 'ell! How far were you cycling home? No wonder you didn't have the energy left to unclip!
    Schwinn Fastback Comp : FCN 5
    The Flying Scot : FCN 515q6cuv.png
    My Life, My Bike & My Xbox