Carbon vs Aluminium Seatpost??

t0ny
t0ny Posts: 59
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Hi there, just a quick question.

I have a full carbon frame, but I have a light aluminium seatpost. I just got back from a London to Paris trip and only really had one afternoon of a soreish behind, which I thought was good.

Yesterday I went out on a 50 mile club ride of about 18.5mph average (faster than I did London to Paris) and noticed it was sore again (sibones).

Couple of the guys recomended switching to a carbon seatpost as it will absorb the vibrations better???
Planet X Pro Carbon SL
Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• Seatpost material doesn't matter all that much. Tires (and pressure) and saddle, the connection points if you will, are the most important when it comes to comfort.

Is your saddle new or have you ridden it comfortably before? What kind of tires and what pressure?
  • t0ny
    Hmm, thanks Reddragon...shocked that there is no real difference between carbon and Ali seatposts....

I have a Specialized Toupe, which on the whole has been fine. Aches some days and others it is totally fine. Figures this was to do with the terrain, but like mentioned this could be my tyre pressure. I run front and back at 110psi, is this too high?? I thought this helped with rolling resistance??
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • 110 psi is a bit high. I ride on some craggy roads here and I find 90-100 a lot more comfortable than 110+.

BTW: that saddle is a good saddle. I'd would consider changing it ONLY if the tire pressure experiments prove futile.

And for what it's worth, the other day my sit bones were sore for the first time this year after only a 20 mile ride. The next day, no problem at all. Sometimes we just have some aches and pains. In my case, I'm sure its age related! :)
  • 110 psi is a bit high. I ride on some craggy roads here and I find 90-100 a lot more comfortable than 110+.

BTW: that saddle is a good saddle. I'd would consider changing it ONLY if the tire pressure experiments prove futile.

Don't forget that tyre pressures also depend on your weight - extra poundage usually means a bit more pressure is needed.

And while the Toupe might be a good saddle, I tried it and hated it. Now ride with an Alias and find it extremely comfortable over any distance. It's a very personal thing and is always worth trying some options just in case. Any decent shop will have a loan saddle or give your money back if you don't get on with it.
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • t0ny
    Thanks for your replies, I think I will try lowering my psi first as the saddle has been great for the most part, just the odd journey.

I am 12 stone and 5ft 11 so I would think I am not in the fatty realms. Are there any links or something on tyre pressures? Should the front have less in than the rear or should they be the same?

Shame that a carbon post will only bring bling to the party as buying one now seems to be a little pointless..
    Planet X Pro Carbon SL
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I'm just under 12 stone at the moment, and ride with 110 psi in the rear tyre and 100 at the front. I find that that gives me the best compromise.