Tour de Suisse Stage 3 *spoiler*

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,069
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Cavendish wins ahead of Freire and Hushovd.

He must be going well if he can win stages with 1st cat climbs in them.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    If he can get over 2000m cols with the best of them, the green jersey must be within reach this year.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    andyp wrote:
    Cavendish wins ahead of Freire and Hushovd.

He must be going well if he can win stages with 1st cat climbs in them.

Tour de Suisse really isn't a sprinter's race. Best suited to climbers. Almost surprised to see him there at all - but if he's going to finish the Tour and/or win the Green Jersey - this is perfect preparation. And it seems to be working!
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Hm, looking at the profile it seems that the climb was 15km at about 4 or 5%. Not that steep but i would have thought that either a)the peloton would have been going too fast for him or b)they werent going fast and a break stayed away. Great riding whatever.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Got dropped yesterday, on the far easier cat 1 climb, (14.4km @ 3.8%) as did Hushovd.
    I fell asleep watching.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I don't think that Cavendish getting over the Lukmanier climb with the main group indicates a lot; most other sprinters seemed to have gotten over it in the bunch, so climbing pace must have been quite pedestrian, with the summit so far from the finish.

What is significant is that it was an uphill finish, and that Cav can now also beat Thor and Oscar in an uphill sprint.
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    FJS wrote:

What is significant is that it was an uphill finish, and that Cav can now also beat Thor and Oscar in an uphill sprint.

And beat them out of sight as well....oooof, see how much quicker than Thor he was, made up a bike and a half defecit and turned it into a facile win in the last 200+ metres.

Christ he's fast at the moment....
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good show today.

Looks like Hushovd possibly blew or unclipped, he looked like he stopped pedalling in the sprint at one point!
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    Bowed to the inevitable is the way I saw it. :D
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    picked Cav in the PTP as didn't think the profile was that steep and the summit was a long way from the finish with a big downhill. Even he he lost a minute or two it was possible to catch it back up.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    andrew_s wrote:

Some proper commentary!!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Looking down the results on cyclingnews, it seems that Kirchen lost 30 seconds and vandevelde 59 seconds.