cannock chase

Thewaylander
Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
edited June 2009 in Routes
Well made the 280 mile round trip to this trail yesterday was gonna blast it twice in a day.

Had lovely weather(as we all did gotta love that sun!) cup's tea great cake but only rode the trail once.. how do you people in central uk cope with no hills!? i was bored out of my mind!

The singletrack was so back tracking and trying to make to much use of the terrain so it became broken and unflowing. was little to reccomend going back sadly, bit of shame as there were some of the best facilities in a centre i have seen to date!

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Err..yeah FtD is fun and personally I wouldn't drive 280 miles to ride it but kudos to you all the same.

With a max height of 200m it's never going to be like a day in the hills but it can be entertaining to try and get round in less than 40 minutes. Alternatively bale out of FtD at more-or-less anytime and take in some of the glorious unmarked trails that the Chase has to offer. There is plenty to do over towards Stile Cop, the SEA, and the not-so-secret Monkey or go the other way towards Stafford and look out for the tyre tracks heading off into the woods.
  • Thewaylander
    Didn't feel inclined too, there was very little flow to anything i rode and kinda demotivated me.. heard there is an ok black run there but had lost the will after cruizing round.

And 280 mile round trip isn't that bad , bout 2 hours each way as i live pretty much on the M4 to get going. Brechfa is similar ddistance into west Wales but never ever regret traveling that way :)
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    You drove 140 miles, two hours, to ride Follow the Dog?

It's a nice local route and all, but a trail centre it aint. You'll have to wait six months for the trail centre.
  • Thewaylander
    Heard some ok things about it, and was bored of the local trails... lol

Plus it was a sunny day so got to play and scare some chav BMW drivers onthe way.. made for a nice day trip with my house mate..(beats sitting on my butt most of the day lol)
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Heh, living in the Leamington area makes me deeply, deeply grateful for Cannock Chase!

As Alex said, there's a new red trail in the works which will be a little more demanding. It has pebbles and everything!

3166606285_ea1c14999c.jpg

I think I might be sticking to FtD for a while meself... :lol:
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    I thought Peebles was up North? May as well do Glentress if you're going that far, much more challenging than Cannock...
    :? :roll:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Thewaylander
    I think everyone eneds to come ride down in Wales now. or scotland.. im not crossing the border back to england with my bike unless its too pass through and get to scotland :p
  • elPedro666
    I think everyone eneds to come ride down in Wales now. or scotland.. im not crossing the border back to england with my bike unless its too pass through and get to scotland :p

Don't fancy Garburn then? Or Walna Scar Road? Or High Street? Or Jacobs Ladder? Or Cut Gate?

You need to get yourself a map lad! :lol:

On the other hand the trail centres are pretty pants. :roll:

However, that is still good advice, I'll check my passport...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • Thewaylander
    hmmm, were very selective who we let in.... :p

best part about coming back from the midlands is blasting down the M50 mind <3 that road for some reason.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    best part about coming back from the midlands is blasting down the M50 mind <3 that road for some reason.
    The A458 through Dinas Mawddwy and on towards Dolgellau is pretty good =]

There are some quality routes on the hills behind Dolgoch.
  • Thewaylander
    hehe i grew up in rural south wales . a little town called Llantwit Major..(good durf there for surfy peeps)

Loved the lanes down there.. but running through the center of Wales the A470.. and if you get a clear run oh yeh.. vrmmmm vrmmm! though i have a diesel so though quick sounds more like a tractor! lol
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    elPedro666 wrote:
    I thought Peebles was up North?

nope.....south....up north is the highlands!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • elPedro666
    cee wrote:
    elPedro666 wrote:
    I thought Peebles was up North?

nope.....south....up north is the highlands!
    :roll:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • tomclark21
    tomclark21 Posts: 17
    FTD is defo not worth a 280 mile round trip but as already mentioned the chase is worth exploring because there are some nice routes that aren't marked out.

However, I do wish I lived closer to Wales. Rain or shine its always been a great day out. We rode the Marin trail on Saturday and I was not disappointed. Defo worth a trip out.

elPedro666 mentioned cut gate, a truly epic ride!! A group of us rode Doctors Gate and it was worth every penny in petrol from Birmingham. A trail centre it is definately not its the definition of natural riding!!!!!
  • Thewaylander
    Marin?

All i remember of that it was my third trail in 3 days(was a bit fat then) it had one of the best end 3k decent- but the rest just felt like a mindless grind through fireroad with a section of nice single track thrown in the middle for a laugh..

swore never to go back there, as every other trail i had ridden didn't waste so much hight on fire roads
  • Glad I stumbled across this post.

My mate and I are having a 'discussion' at the moment about whether to go to Afan or Cannock Chase this Saturday.

I fancy W2 at Afan and for some peculiar reason he'd prefer to go to Cannock.

It's a little extra travel time for Afan but gotta be worth it, right?
  • tomclark21
    tomclark21 Posts: 17
    I agree that there is loads of climbing but didn't mind slugging my all mountain machine up for the downs.

Afan all the way!!!!!!
  • elPedro666
    curatesegg wrote:
    Glad I stumbled across this post.

My mate and I are having a 'discussion' at the moment about whether to go to Afan or Cannock Chase this Saturday.

I fancy W2 at Afan and for some peculiar reason he'd prefer to go to Cannock.

It's a little extra travel time for Afan but gotta be worth it, right?

There's something wrong with him - go to Afan! Unless he's scared... :twisted:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs