Bunch training

cyclistbruce
cyclistbruce Posts: 88
edited June 2009 in Amateur race
If its not a stupid question.....

How do you get experience of riding in a bunch if the local clubs only do TTs during the summer???

Have been thinking about getting BC membership and having a go at some of the closed circuit races, having done mainly sportives, but past posts advice against this and say to get some group riding skills in a club.

I'm a member of a club, but like most, they concentrate on TTs.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Find a local club that concentrates more on road racing? Or how about see if any of your club mates would be interested in starting a regular chaingang with you?
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    If its not a stupid question.....

How do you get experience of riding in a bunch if the local clubs only do TTs during the summer???

Have been thinking about getting BC membership and having a go at some of the closed circuit races, having done mainly sportives, but past posts advice against this and say to get some group riding skills in a club.

I'm a member of a club, but like most, they concentrate on TTs.
    Er...I wouldn't advise jumping straight into bunch races if you're not used to riding in a bunch. Either join a local chain gang or go 2nd claim with another club that actually does regular club runs in groups of at least 10+
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie wrote:
    Or how about see if any of your club mates would be interested in starting a regular chaingang with you?
    Although on second thoughts, this would probably be a case of the "blind leading the blind". It's best if you have at least one person who knows how to ride in a group to sort out the mistakes.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Is there anyone like http://www.primecoaching.co.uk/ in your area, I've heard good things about the training sessions they run at Hillingdon - but never made it along.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Bronzie
    .........or if you have a outdoor track or velodrome nearby, they often run training sessions through the summer which are a great way to get into bunch racing. See if there is one near you here.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Sorry to interrupt but Bhima had reserved this thread title!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Thanks, local(ish) velodrom at Calshot runs track training courses, so might give that a go. Might go along to one of the races that the league international organise though to watch.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Believe it or not - you can learn a lot about riding in a bunch from sportives also. next time you are riding a sportive - try and find a group to stick with and you'll learn a lot.

It's not the same as racing, but it can help get you comfortable with riding with others.
  • rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Bruce, sounds like you are based near Southampton? Good chaingang on Tuesday nights down that way at Romsey. Splits in three groups, beginners, medium and hard-core. Would be ideal for what you suggest. PM me if you are interested and want more details.
  • Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    I left track last year and have thrown myself into a tuesday night chaingang, great experience.

APRs are a good thing too.