11-25 cassette

Webbio
Webbio Posts: 7
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time topic poster. Love the forum. :D

I'm looking to put an 11-25 cassette on my bike to give me a bit more grunt going down hill. Can anyone explain why 11-25 cassettes are more expensive than a 12-25?

Also, I'd like to hear from anyone who has any experience with an 11-25. Did it help or hinder?

BTW I have a 53/39 chainset.

Cheers
Webbio
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's bike

Comments

• RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    11s are more expensive because they need a different lockring, which comes supplied with it.

Whether that's enough to make up the whole of the difference is a different discussion ...

I'd've thought that a 53x11 would give you a very high top gear - I have a 50x11 top and only use it on the rare occasions I top about 60km/h. Mind you maybe I'm just slow!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Not sure you need it but if you feel you need it go ahead :D
    I generally can get to 48mph on a 12 going for a sign then spin out but when decending on steep hills can get that fast just getting in aero position.
    I have a 11 on other bike and not noticed any difference at all for downhill as at that speed generally freewheel.
  • Yeah - in fact I just went the other way for my training bike, putting on a 13-26 (53/39 chainrings). I really like it. Large ring for general training on flatter/rolling terrain and the extra cogs for the hills, it's really nice riding with a straight block from 13-19 making the gear increments nice and gradual.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Try first of you can. I moved from a 12-25 to an 11-25 earlier this year on a 53 but it's not given me that extra top that I hoped for. It's too high a ratio for cruising in; 53 /14or 15 is more comfortable and spinning at around 85-100 is more comfortable than down in the 70s. On long downhills it does offer a little more but it's still a big gear to push and given the option I'd probably revert to a 12-25.It's one big benefit is being up the ar$e end of a slowly accelerating truck - I can hang to it for a bit longer with a 53/11 to move up to.

I speak as a 20+ mile commuter and occasional 50-100 weekend jaunts.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    FWIW in the last year I've switched my training bikes from 12-23 to 13-23 (with 39/53, 9spd). The loss of the 12-sprocket isn't really a big deal but what I now have is an 18-sprocket which I use a lot. The jump from the 17 to the 19 was irritating me as I constantly wanted a gear between the two.

So bear in mind what gear you'll lose if you make the change.

Ruth
  • oldwelshman
    Very true. I have a couple of sprockets on which I jump up and down due to gap too big and rarely see the need for a 11.
    If alone why bother just freewheel, if ina group just sit behind someone else who has a 53 x 11 :D
  • Webbio
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I feel like I am spinning out on the 12 and struggle to keep up with the wheels when descending steeper hills. Top speed down my regular hill is 42/43mph so am hoping that the 11 would allow me to get that extra speed.

Maybe I should just shave my legs instead!
  • oldwelshman
    As mentioned I can do 48 mph on a compact chainset with 12 on the back so you need to learn to pedal faster not get bigger gears :D
    Maybe worth trying out on an indoor velodrome to learn to pedal faster :D
  • Webbio
    As mentioned I can do 48 mph on a compact chainset with 12 on the back so you need to learn to pedal faster not get bigger gears :D
    Maybe worth trying out on an indoor velodrome to learn to pedal faster :D

Hey oldwelshman, I took your advice today and managed to get up to 46mph just pedaling faster and felt there was perhaps more in the tank for next time. Simple really.

So since you have saved me about £40, where should I send the cheque? :wink:

Cheers!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whilst an 11t is useful with a 50 chainring for descents and tailwind sprints, I doubt very much you'll 'spin out' using 53x12 - you don't actually say how fast you're pedalling but unless you're over 120rpm, suggest you need to adapt your technique and learn to pedal faster.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    your better off with a bigger chainring ie 53-54t than an 11 tooth small sprocket due to the increase in friction caused by the tight radius of the 11 tooth sprocket.
    who cares?
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    You're spinning out on a 53x12!!! If you are riding in a group get the rider behind you to shove a thistle in your bum - that will make you pedal faster :lol: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
    Yeah - in fact I just went the other way for my training bike, putting on a 13-26 (53/39 chainrings). I really like it. Large ring for general training on flatter/rolling terrain and the extra cogs for the hills, it's really nice riding with a straight block from 13-19 making the gear increments nice and gradual.

What make of cassette is this Alex? I'm looking for a Shimano compatible one and 13/26 would be ideal for me. Shimano do a 13-25 but i've not seen a 13-26. I think this would be ideal for me for hillier rides.

I've been trying out a 14-25 and really enjoying the contiguous block of 14-21 but i occasionally miss the 13 but not the 12 i had on my previous 12-25.