Speedplay pedals

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
I have ordered a pair of Light action speedplay pedals but a very kind soul donated me a pair of zeros yesterday (as far as i can work out, although they did say they were light action). Unfortunately they didnt donate me the zeros with cleats they donated just the pedals.

Ideally i would have one type of pedal for both bikes, currently have SPDs on my fixie and Looks on my roadie. I would happily have speedplays on both due to the double sidedness.

My question is can i use the same cleats with both? according to their website i cant but from the pictures of the cleats i cant see any difference between cleats. Or will i be resigned to sticking with my looks on my roadie and a pair of speedplays on the fixie thus having to buy a new pair of shoes

Comments

• NoNotAgain
    NoNotAgain Posts: 91
    Well, SP and SPD are completely incompatible with each other.
    Basically, SPs have the major supporting structure placed on the shoe with the pedal rather being the clip while SPDs and every other brand is the exact opposite.
    Sorry for describing this so clumsy, English is not my native language...

Nonetheless, why don't you simply buy some SPs for the second bike? That would be cheaper than buying new shoes. Additionally, SP is a great system.
    Me personally, I'm stuck with SPD-SLs. They're fine with me, I love the huge base you're standing on when out of the saddle, I find the new SLs to be easiest to walk on and I'm totally sold to the fat sound they make when connecting to the cleats. :shock:
    1,000km+ a month, strictly road.
  • spasypaddy
    sorry i think i worded that badly, im removing both the SPDs and the Looks and wanting to have two pairs of Speedplays.

I was donated a pair of Speedplay Zeros but without cleats.
    I have on order a pair of Speedplay Light Actions which are brand new and with cleats.

Can i use the light action cleats with the Zero pedals?
    If not i will have to decide whether to buy a new pair of shoes (assuming the cleats wont fit on a spare pair of road shoes i have knocking around) or ordering another pair of Light action or Zero pedals
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Even if it appeared to work, would you want to risk doing something the manufacturer specifically says doesn't work? The pedals are your high-stress interface with the bike and you do not want to risk a failure there.

Matthew
  • Biscuiteer
    Biscuiteer Posts: 143
    Straight from the Speedplay Zero manual:
    Do not attempt to engage Speedplay Zero Cleasts onto Speedplay X Pedals or Light Action Pedals. Speedplay Zero Cleats and Pedal Systems are not designed to be compatible with Speedplay X Series Pedals or Light Action Pedals. Use only Zero Cleats with Zero Pedals. Any effort to engage or use Zero Pedals and cleats with any other Speedplay Pedal System may cause permanent damage to the Pedals or severe injury.
  • spasypaddy
    yeah i know that and ive seen it on their website as well but i was hoping that someone had actually tried and succeeded!

So now my question is, which are better the zeros or the light action?
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I can't tell you what is better for you between the LA and Zero's but if it were me I would cancel the LA's and get the new Zero's. Reason being that some people don't like all the float that the LA's and X series have so the Zero's offer some adjustment to limit the float if you like. Since you already have another pair of Zero's you won't have to sort out the cleat dilemma either.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    I can't tell you what is better for you between the LA and Zero's but if it were me I would cancel the LA's and get the new Zero's. Reason being that some people don't like all the float that the LA's and X series have so the Zero's offer some adjustment to limit the float if you like. Since you already have another pair of Zero's you won't have to sort out the cleat dilemma either.
    +1
    Just cancel, reorder or send back the LA and reorder a pair of Zero's. Even if it costs you a couple of quid in postage surely in the long run it will be worth it? Two paris of zero's and two lots of zero cleats - Simples. I don't know if you read my thread on the screws I posted a few days ago? Anyway watch the medal plate, when fitting: when your screwing it the the plastic. Mine wasn't sitting flush, hence why I was having probs. I didn't notice it at first, but then had a real good look and could see the edge of the medal plate catching the the side of a rasied bit of plastic next to the heel in screw. It was only up a 1mm and was difficult to spot.

Mine are now sorted and their great.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • spasypaddy
    i cant cancel the order or send them back ive ordered them through work so i have to buy them (at cost price). I might just stick them out and see what happens, otherwise i'll just shove them on ebay.