Shimano R500 wheels

rally200
rally200 Posts: 646
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a cheap wheelset for my bad-weather bike and the R500s seem to come up cheaper than some of the no-name budget wheels. are they any good? weight is not really a priority

I've read some user-reviews that really slate them as flimsy - but of course it tends to only be the dis-satisfied customers who bother to post these reviews. so I thought I'd come t :wink: o the forum for a balanced view

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    They're not bad, but they're incredibly expensive now. Two years ago I had a set for £50 brand new from a shop. They haven't changed in design at all.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Aw - 50 quid - I wish , I've seen them from £80 to £147!! on the net. My LBS want £80 for no-name shimano hubs on unbranded low profile rims.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Mine have been mostly great - super smooth and haven't required any truing since October (about 3000 miles).

I got mine from this guy (High On Bikes) on eBay. There was a bit of a problem with the bearings in the front wheel - damaged balls led to damaged cones - but he replaced them within a week of me notifying him of the fault, so fair enough!

EDIT: I recently bought a pair of PlanetX Model B and I would say that the R500s are pretty close in most respects, they give away a little weight but honestly they're in the same ballpark.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    They seem to fit these as standard on a lot of decent bikes to keep the price down to around £1500 - I would guess that is an endorsement of sorts !

Didn't quest do a pretty bombproof (but heavy) wheelset for around £60 ?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Attheaccident.jpg

R500 wheels survived. Front needed breathing on with a spoke key.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got RS10's on my bike 9 months ago. I think they are the successor to the 500's. Straight pull bladed spokes and well sealed but serviceable bearings. Still perfectly true after riding all through the winter, frequently in the dark, and consequently through quite a few potholes. Think I have seen them on the net for £120 a pair
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    I've got R500's on mine, bought them 2 years ago from ribble at approx £70 for the pair. Came without rim tape. The wheels are still true after almost constant use with absolutely no maintainance whatsoever, only problem was that the bit inside the hub that catches the wheel when you're pedalling failed and when I went to see if the LBS could fix it he said the part was the 2002 version which apparently they don't make anymore and it would be a new wheel job. What he actually did was clean it up and lube it a bit and they started to work again but the rear is on its last legs as it were. Replacement parts aside I would recommend them.
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I ride r500 wheels daily. I don't maintain them and I've had them two years.

Perfectly true, excellent hubs. I got mine for £45 too and with the service they have given me I'd pay loads more.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr