road bike experience

soy_sauce
soy_sauce Posts: 987
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
Last week, my gf and i went to Nairn and stayed as her dad's house for a long weekend. Since John (her dad) has a road bike ( 35 years old ) and how much story/advice/plea about riding a road bike, i ask him if i can have a go.

i never ride a road bike before so i always worry about the position on the body and the balancing issue which i might find. i only did a few small loop around.

first, i was hold the flat part (closest to the stem) of the handlebar as i couldn't position myself and balance when try to use the drop bar...stop/slow down using my foot. :oops: then when i get more confident i attempt to use the drop bar... i must admit, what a feeling.
even though i couldn't change gear due to my lack of balance on the road bike. :oops:

now almost a week now, i still can't forget that moment and keep picture-ing myself riding the road bike . :D

i love my MTB and i want to be loyal to my MTB but it look like the temptation of getting a road bike for commuting and general touring around town is too big to handle. :lol:
"It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Dooooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttt
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Nothing wrong with dabbling in the dark-side Henry.

Actually the two diciplines compliment each other quite well I reckon.#

(buy one, you know you want to!)
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    It had downtube shifters, right? The newer types are on the hoods and are a piece of cake to use.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    It had downtube shifters, right? The newer types are on the hoods and are a piece of cake to use.

Especially those Campagnolo ones. :lol:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    even though my bike does have down tube shifters do try a bike with modern shifters, a modern bike will be lighter and better, mainly gears and brakes both of which are fairly poor on older road bikes.
  • soy_sauce
    biondino - yeah, it the downtube shifters. does all the new road bike has the hoods type shifters? or i can't really tell from the pics on the site.

Robmanic1 - been looking into it, could get one via C2W but i don't know if i will in the same company/city/country in the 12 months so won't be a good idea of getting one but the temptation is so....... well, road bike is evil and people don't call it the "dark-side" for no reason. :lol:

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Robmanic1 - been looking into it, could get one via C2W but i don't know if i will in the same company/city/country in the 12 months so won't be a good idea of getting one but the temptation is so....... well, road bike is evil and people don't call it the "dark-side" for no reason. :lol:

Who does fella, who does?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    biondino - yeah, it the downtube shifters. does all the new road bike has the hoods type shifters? or i can't really tell from the pics on the site.

With ride to work, if you leave the company then you are liable to pay the remainder of the money owed on the bike, but you still get to keep the bike.
  • soy_sauce
    edited June 2009
    Robmanic1 wrote:

Who does fella, who does?

lol. i guess you are right. i just graduated last summer so im need to learn/think like that.

now only left with the space availability issue for a extra bike. :roll: :lol:

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

yup from the hoods been this way since 1990 with Shimano Total Integration (STI) which sounds like something you catch... but any how 20 years on and a number of companies make them, very few still make downtube shifters which normally only come fitted to very cheap bikes.
  • soy_sauce
    amnezia wrote:

With ride to work, if you leave the company then you are liable to pay the remainder of the money owed on the bike, but you still get to keep the bike.

yeah, but then the whole point of using the scheme to so i can affort a expensive one which i would normally a) won't be able to pay in one go. b) won't think it worth it without the saving. difficult decision. :?

• dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Last week, my gf and i went to Nairn and stayed as her dad's house for a long weekend. Since John (her dad) has a road bike ( 35 years old ) and how much story/advice/plea about riding a road bike, i ask him if i can have a go.

i never ride a road bike before so i always worry about the position on the body and the balancing issue which i might find. i only did a few small loop around.

first, i was hold the flat part (closest to the stem) of the handlebar as i couldn't position myself and balance when try to use the drop bar...stop/slow down using my foot. :oops: then when i get more confident i attempt to use the drop bar... i must admit, what a feeling.
    even though i couldn't change gear due to my lack of balance on the road bike. :oops:

now almost a week now, i still can't forget that moment and keep picture-ing myself riding the road bike . :D

i love my MTB and i want to be loyal to my MTB but it look like the temptation of getting a road bike for commuting and general touring around town is too big to handle. :lol:

I say do it. I cimmute by road bike and now I also do longer rides on it as well.

I am still an MTBer at heart but its fantastic for speedong around the city, and extra training. I think its one of the best things I have done to improve my MTBing as it means that I can get in the saddle and ride, no worries about getting muddy and such on the way to work.

It also means that my MTB isnt being used as a comuter so the rate of wear is much less.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Nothing wrong with dabbling in the dark-side Henry.

Actually the two diciplines compliment each other quite well I reckon.#

(buy one, you know you want to!)

it's true - they always say nice things about each other :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Ah you mistake the utterances of soft roadies for the Sith. No young padawan, the truth of the Dark Side can only be found in CX.

Live the dream.... CX is the way forward. :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter