Which replacement brake pads for my disc brakes?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend some good replacement disc brake pad manufacturers? I have tended to use sintered pads up to now for my Formula Oros as I ride is often wet gritty conditions in t'Yorkshire Dales though I have heard you can get "long-life" organic/ceramic pads from people such as Disco. Original Formula Oro pads are £15 which seems a lot!
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I always use superstar pads.

5-6 pound a go, cant go wrong.

They have sintered as well, not sure about oro's though, check it out
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah I went through my new OEM Oro pads (front and rear) in one ride (Merida 50k in crappy conditions) so replaced with Superstar sintered ones and they stop fine and seem to be wearing well although haven't ridden in really muddy conditions since fitting them.
  • All i can say, is you have 45 days to try our pads out and if you dont like them for ANY REASON, send them back with a returns form and you can have a replacement or your money back. This is our standard guarentee, and always has been because we know the pads are just as good as anything on the market.

Id rather you try Superstar pads and make your own mind up about the performance.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I rather liek a2z pads, they last very well, bed in easily & give good power. Also very cheap
  • wemac
    wemac Posts: 91
    I tried superstar sintered pads and they were fine for a while until the part of the pad which holds it in place bent, allowing it to move under braking pressure causing lots of noise and. much worse, vibration. Made me question the reliability a bit.
    Trek Fuel EX8 09
  • truespin
    truespin Posts: 155
    I've heard very good thing about superstars (although haven't used them myself yet) and their 45 days no questions asked money back guarantee seems a great way to try them out without being scared of losing money...
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I got 2008 magura louise brakes and cant find the A2Z pads for them?

Were can I look, to se how cheap they are, is there a website.

Thanks
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    never had a fault with pads from super star components i all ways used OEM pads but they did not last to long but super star have been fine.
  • Father Faff
    Blody hell what a rubbish website Superstar has - I can't work out how to buy Formula Oro pads! Any other recommendations.....
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Blody hell what a rubbish website Superstar has - I can't work out how to buy Formula Oro pads! Any other recommendations.....

Honestly - it isn't hard! Took me a couple of minutes to find the link. http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=135

Formula Oro in the options list.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Father Faff
    Managed to work it out in the end by just ordering individual ones rather than a pack of 4 so I'll try them out and see how they go. Superstar despatched the same day I ordered so excellent service there - now just got to try em out! Mind you I've just noticed my front disc rotor is warped so this seems like a good time to upgrade to a 180mm disc!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523

I have no idea how you found it difficult to locate the Formula Oro pads - I just had a look and found them within seconds for both single pads or 4 packs.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    heh yeah good luck installing them if you can't work out how to order them :p It's not a pretty site but it's not exactly rocket science - the 4-pack thing just allows you to buy whatever versions you want in that 4-pack (as in you could have 4 different types or change the drop down selection and have 4 of the same type)
  • Father Faff
    I found them ok-ish but when I tried to order 4 it came up with 4 different types of pad and I couldn't figure out how to change it to being all the same - certainly not very intuitive. Mind you I've got a very short fuse when it comes to websites. Anyway I got my pads - one ceramic and one organic, though in fact there was nothing on the packaging to tell you which was which or even what sort of pads they were. However I do know enough to know the sintered ones are the ones with little flecks of metal in them! And yeh thanks Nferrar I do know how to fit pads thank you very much - but whats that strange springy metal thing they've sent with the pads........?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    Ha Ha I couldn't get the pads in! While I'd had no trouble putting original Formula Oro pads in the Superstar ones were simply too thick. So I had to go down my local LBS and he has just managed to squeeze them in but said I'll have to wear off some of the pad until they run freely. So not a great start.....or was I supposed to file them down before I fitted them?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    And please don't think I'm taking the mickey out of my LBS - I was primarily taking the bike in to get them to put an180mm rotor on to replace my bent 160mm one.!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Youll probably be better off going to the doctors with your 160mm bent one...
  • Father Faff
    Sorted - new rotor installed and pads inserted. The LBS said he had to file off the paint off the back of the pad and a bit off the pad itself to get them to fit but it does run relatively free now. Just got to bed the pads in properly and try them out - new Superstar Organic in the front and original Formula Oro sintered in the back (the latter of which I already know are excellent but then they should be at £12.99!).
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1