Deeside way

tardington
tardington Posts: 1,379
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Just wondering if anyone had any experience of it?

Am staying very near Banchory, so thought it might be nice for me and the (very novice cyclist) gf to have a toot along it. I am pretty sure that from Banchory to Aberdeen is all off road; but going the other way we have to go on road to Dinnet - not that far, but that road has people going at scary speeds :shock: Would be nice to make it out that way - the mtb hire people in Ballater are sound guys.

I did check the site! http://www.cyclegrampian.co.uk/trail/deeside.html

Comments

• KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    The on-road section from Dinnet to Banchory can be bypassed on the South Deeside road B976 and B974. These are very quiet roads and you should have no problems at all.
  • tardington
    Great! Thanks! (Am wifi-ing in finzean farm shop) 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    got to this post late.,, yeah deeside way is good fun (better with more than one)....
    I've used it from Duthie Park to Crathes and Back.. approx 30miles and it goes from tarmac to light gravel, to dusty, to tarmac, light gravel, B road, light gravel, bit on the main road but you can go on the grass, the light trail... it's nothing major..

I would carry a pump and a spare tube as people like to smash glass in places.

also let people know you are coming as it's shared between walking folk and young kids.

hope that helps.

G
  • tardington
    In the end went from Banchory (most of the way) to aberdeen and back - mostly pretty good except for a couple places where you had to go on the pavement along the main road, and a couple of narrow tracks through nettles! Mostly very nice though!

Saw from car the Dinnet to Ballater was the old railway line, walk a bit and it was very nice!

If anyone else up there, Glen and Loch Muick is very nice too!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    excellent...cheers for that.

Also to try is Kirkhill forest, and just over the motorway is tyrebagger hill.

Counteswells forest is also good for a relativly flat ride.

Cheers

G
  • tardington
    Will look them up when next in the area!

I think I like Deeside very much. 8)

What I would really like to do is start at aberdeen and go down the deeside way and along the glenshee road. The road bits worry me though... the fast driver. :shock: