Hi new to forum, new to road and my new bike

chrisf70
chrisf70 Posts: 28
edited June 2009 in Road beginners
Thought I'd say hello. Been looking around the forum for a while and have used some of the good advice, and links, to choose my new bike.

I picked it up on Saturday, Giant Defy 3, and with the weather only managed to get out once so far on Sunday!

DSC00102-1.jpg

I haven't had a road bike since a nice lightweight Viking 20 years ago. I ride a hybrid into work and back, and have been MTB for the past five years. Traded my lovely Specialized Rockhopper in for this bike and got a good deal.

I really like the Defy, and on my first ride I soon got used to a few things: the vibration, the lack of brakes compared to the MTB disc brakes, the lightness of the bike, the new shoes and pedals I got and the seating position!!

But what a ride, only popped out to try it on Sunday PM when the rain cleared and popped 12 miles under my belt without thinking about it.

Spent this week taking a few pics of myself on the bike and setting it up using the advice on this site: http://bikedynamics.co.uk/page_1228826262495.html

Now feels a lot better and can't wait to get back on it to test it.

Comments

• pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    A nice looking bike! I started with a Giant and it was a very very reliable machine.

I see you've easily got used to thie seating position - your seat to stem drop is higher than mine. Though I do have my bars quite high too.

Welcome to life as a roadie :D
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Welcome chris and happy riding! :)
  • chrisf70
    Cheers PianoMan, that was taken before I started fiddling. I've turned the stem the other way up and dropped the seat slightly to get my angles and positioning right.

Need to load another photo up.
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    chrisf70 wrote:

But what a ride, only popped out to try it on Sunday PM when the rain cleared and popped 12 miles under my belt without thinking about it.

Your going to become obsessed, I can tell!
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • chrisf70
    I know it just had the feel that made me want to keep going. Coming back on the loop I was on I had to get off a couple of times and raise/lower the seat height to get comfy, but I'm sure it'll be better now.
  • Garz
    chrisf70 wrote:
    I've turned the stem the other way up and dropped the seat slightly to get my angles and positioning right.

I have heard of this a few times now, what does this do and what are the benefits?
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    Good luck mate hope you really enjoy your new steed :D
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    I see you've read NapoleonD's photo guidelines... :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well done you!

Welcome to the Forum, don't take any posts too seriously, nice bike - ride the hell out of it!
  • Garz
    Oh and watch out for napoleon, he's dynamite when you get him angry! :wink:
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    This is the same bike as mine, and also my 1st road bike.

A couple of months in, I'm still really happy with it and I'm feeling much fitter.

Enjoy your riding.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    Nice bike, enjoy it
  • chrisf70
    Garz wrote:
    chrisf70 wrote:
    I've turned the stem the other way up and dropped the seat slightly to get my angles and positioning right.

I have heard of this a few times now, what does this do and what are the benefits?

For me it raised the top of the bars up by 2.5cm, didn't bring them any closer though. With my 'advancing' years :) my back isn't as supple as it used to be, so it'll let me sit up slightly more on longer runs.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!