Is it normal....

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited June 2009 in Commuting chat
...for someone to spend over an hour cleaning a bike?

I ask this is you abnormal people for some reason because your generally in the know.

As I type the good commander is in the garage cleaning his bike (ok over five grands worth but still), he's been in there for over an hour just cleaning it. he hasn't even got onto the routine maintence .

Me I went out with a hose and some muc off and gave two bikes a quick once over taking me a grand total of 20 minutes.

I have a feeling I am going out with an OCD case :lol:
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    He is normal.

OCD - whole day
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    He obviously just can't stand to be in the same room as you, nothing to worry about, perfectly normal behaviour :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    The only way to properly clean a bike is to strip it down to its most basic components, clean them all individually and then rebuild it. An hour seems awfully quick to do this...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Last time i did my mtb it took 2 days...
  • NGale
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    He obviously just can't stand to be in the same room as you, nothing to worry about, perfectly normal behaviour :wink:

you know may be something in that :lol:
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    If you find him in the garage cleaning his chain like this;

chainclean01.jpg

then worry

otherwise just thank heaven that he has a habit that keeps him
    • interested
    • fit an healthy
    • at home (well, during the fettling)
    • and away from that Molly Saunders, the TART
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    NGale wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

you know may be something in that :lol:

My mrs has a similar affliction with bookface face-ache, myface or whatever, for a similar reason I suspect.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    NGale wrote:
    As I type "the good commander"is in the garage cleaning his bike....

Do you call your boyfriend/husband/partner/ "The Good Commander" in real life or is it just for our benefit?

I think it's sweet in a "how's your father, oh Daddy behave..." kind of way......
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I guess it depends on whether the commands are obeyed... Still, it nice to see a navy type interested in wimmen!

NGale - he's not cleaning your bike as well is he? If not,why not? :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have a sneaking suspicion I might spend a little too long cleaning and fettling.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    it took me almost 2 hours yesterday evening... :shock:

well...
    30-45 mins to change tyres... :oops:
    soapy water and tooth brush all parts without taking it apart...
    then use the water squirter to wash off the soaps (don't have a hose and i live in the 1st floor... cleaning the bike in the basement floor garden.)

ace fun. :lol:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    itboffin wrote:
    I have a sneaking suspicion I might spend a little too long cleaning and fettling.
    Mod: Please keep to the topic of bikes.
  • NGale
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    As I type "the good commander"is in the garage cleaning his bike....

Do you call your boyfriend/husband/partner/ "The Good Commander" in real life or is it just for our benefit?

I think it's sweet in a "how's your father, oh Daddy behave..." kind of way......

It's a mickey take more than anything, he gets p***y with the other guys if they are out on a race in colours and they don't refer to him as Sir or Commander, so we all take the mickey out of him because of it.

Other than that he's known as Jake :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    whyamihere wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    Mod: Please keep to the topic of bikes.

Steady now GregT blood pressure is already on the limit. :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    Finally he's finished the cleaning...he's now on the maintenance...bleedy engineers for you :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Mrs JW and I clean our bikes together - how sad are we!! :roll:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Has he gone out to the garage to double check that its still clean?

Wait a minute..

HE KEEPS HIS BIKE IN THE GARAGE??? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Came in from a very wet ride this pm, wiped bike down with dry cloth in the garage. Went and removed soaking clothes, had shower, dressed, hung up bike on garage wall, Sprayed with WD40, lubed chain, wiped off residual moisture and some of the road muck. Ten minutes maximum.

Am I the wrong man for this forum :?: :?:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • oh er i clean it fettle then try and find things to fix :?

then i move onto the next bike ...then the next ....

only come in when it gets dark :roll:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    NGale wrote:

I ask this is you abnormal people for some reason because your generally in the know.

As I type the good commander is in the garage cleaning his bike (ok over five grands worth but still), he's been in there for over an hour just cleaning it. he hasn't even got onto the routine maintence .

Me I went out with a hose and some muc off and gave two bikes a quick once over taking me a grand total of 20 minutes.

How often does this happen? My annual bike wash does take a long time.

Also, a good deal of maintenance is require to undo all of the damage you cause by washing all the grease out of the bearings.

PS: Why don't you have an avatar of a bond GIRL, so we all remember your gender? I recommend Jane Seymour.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    But does she recommend you :?: :wink:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • NGale
    Has he gone out to the garage to double check that its still clean?

Wait a minute..

HE KEEPS HIS BIKE IN THE GARAGE??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Errr that should be bikes....he had three road bikes, a XC bike and a MTB!

Yep and he keeps the expensive Merc out on the drive :shock:
    shows which he values the most!
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:

How often does this happen? My annual bike wash does take a long time.

Also, a good deal of maintenance is require to undo all of the damage you cause by washing all the grease out of the bearings.

PS: Why don't you have an avatar of a bond GIRL, so we all remember your gender? I recommend Jane Seymour.

It's a once a month job by all accounts!

As for the avatar...if it was to be any Bond girl it would be Vesper Lynd...but sorry, me likes Daniel Craig :wink:
  • NGale
    It's confirmed...he isn't normal....The man has brought himself a Brompton to get around the base in Portsmouth :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    NGale wrote:
    It's confirmed...he isn't normal....The man has brought himself a Brompton to get around the base in Portsmouth :shock:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me :) Incidentally I timed my weekly bike clean this morning {prior to tomorrows Bike Week event so I possibly took a little more care than normal) - it took me 1 hr 20min
  • NGale
    NGale wrote:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me :) Incidentally I timed my weekly bike clean this morning {prior to tomorrows Bike Week event so I possibly took a little more care than normal) - it took me 1 hr 20min

I just have this image of a 40 year old Commander in uniform and cycle clips hairing around Portsmouth Naval Base shouting at people to get out of the way :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    In that case it seems entirely appropriate - have you seen the people who ride Bromptons - make sure he tucks his trousers into his socks to complete the image

My uncle who was C in C Gosport about 40 years ago always rode a folding bike around the base - he did however never master the art of saluting whilst riding and so gave instructions that he was never to be saluted whilst cycling
  • NGale
    In that case it seems entirely appropriate - have you seen the people who ride Bromptons - make sure he tucks his trousers into his socks to complete the image

My uncle who was C in C Gosport about 40 years ago always rode a folding bike around the base - he did however never master the art of saluting whilst riding and so gave instructions that he was never to be saluted whilst cycling

I'll pass that on, because somehow I can see him busting his other hand if he trys that :lol: